1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Expansion Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clapyourhands

clapyourhands Prince

Vanilla Civ VI feedback: Hey it would be really cool if Oceania had some sort of representation this time around.

Firaxis DLC: "We agree! Australia has been a long-time fan request, and we're glad that we could finally make it happen."

DLC feedback: Wow that's awesome. It would be great if some other areas, like sub-Saharan Afri--

Firaxis: "And if that's not enough, we're also planning to introduce the Maori in the next expansion, too! A 2-for-1 deal!"

Feedback: Actually, the Maori are great and all but we're still missing a lot of fan-favorite civs and--

Firaxis: "Another one, you say?! Well, if you insist! Bet none of you expected the Noongar Inquisition!"

Firaxis: "..."

Firaxis: "Next question!"

-----

All jokes aside, I actually don't mind the rumored civ list at all. Nice mix of returning and new civs. Other fan-favorites like the Maya or Portugal would be nice, but I do like Hungary and Burma as new-but-not-too-out-there choices.

Guandao, Bonci, K4wa and 12 others like this.
  2. Zeuel

Zeuel Chieftain

Actually I'm kind of excited for Hurrem Sultan. :p

3. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

Assuming the list is real for a moment, if the Noongar are a civilization that is great, but I hope to hell that Firaxis did their ground work.

When it comes to the depiction of deceased members of Indigenous Australians there are a lot different policies depending which people the person comes from. To be on the safe side most decent news organizations will add the preface that "This show may contain images and voices of people who are now deceased" as a warning but you have to be really careful.

Now since the game is a digital creation and not actually using his actual voice and image you may get around some of those cultural issues, but you still have to get the blessing of the family with regards to the name and depiction and I really hope they did this time.

Guandao and SammyKhalifa like this.
  4. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

What @Zaarin said - continents aren't defined by belief or skin tone. Egypt is a part of Africa regardless of ethnicity or belief; and Georgia/Armenia are in Asia (as is most of Russia)...though sure, not by much.

I think you are mistaking strong dislike of token leaders, for hatred of female leaders. Yes, many female leaders in Civ are disliked for being token (especially if the criteria people are considering is "the best leader"); but that isn't the same as hating female leaders.

5. Xur

Xur Prince

are we there yet?

Leathaface, Hawke9 and acluewithout like this.
  6. Haig

Haig Deity

Looking forward to meltdowns of getting Roxelana from people who at the same time play happily with Theodora, Dido and the Giant Death Robots!

King William I likes this.
  7. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

The more I think about it, the more worried I am that this leak is legit. If it is true, a third expansion seems likely.

Italy, Portugal, Vietnam, Ethiopia, Canada, Maya, Berbers/Morocco and another Native North American tribe would make a good list for expansion three to round off the title.

Morningcalm, Xefjord, Zaarin and 6 others like this.
  8. Guatenadian

Guatenadian Prince

The list has some solid Civs, but Noongar? Really? I'm always hoping for new Civs but this seems way too out of the blue for me, especially when there's still a bunch of Civs that need to make an appearance.
    If this leak is true I'll have an open mind, I'm sure there's some merit to their inclusion, and I'd be open to see how the Civ is represented, but it's just a really, really odd choice.

Morningcalm, Guandao and SelmanV like this.
  9. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Prince

If the leak is legit I wouldn't infer that a third expansion is likely. They've made some bold and unusual choices and they can't include every Civ, it's certainly possible that some fan favourites never make it to Civ VI.

Morningcalm, Socrates99 and CPWimmer like this.
  10. Guatenadian

Guatenadian Prince

Not every Civ can be represented that's very true, but to not include some very prominent and well-liked Civilisations that have earned their place in both the hearts and minds of Civ players, and in real life history just feels wrong. For Carthage, Maya, and Portugal, among others, to be left out on the curb just seems like a disservice to them.

Again I'm all for fresh blood in the series, but there is some Civs that should remain constant.

11. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Well, his might be real or it might not be. You never can tell. Guess we’ll find out soon enough. But ... you know ... it doesn’t seem implausible.

Noongar would be very interesting. I do think it’s a bit rough “Australia” gets a Civ, but the people that have lived on that continent for hundreds of thousands of years don’t. So, I think Noongar would be pretty cool. That said, as is the problem for some other Civs, indigenous Australians weren’t Farmers or city Builders so bit hard for Civ to represent them sensibly. And there is also a problem representing individuals who have died as naming the dead is taboo, but tv shows and movies in Australia have been navigating that problem for some time so it’s not without precedence.

I don’t see a problem with having an Indigenous Australian Civ and Maori Civ. They are both very, very, very different peoples. And both are interesting and amazing in very different ways.

Odd if we don’t get Portugal. Or Lizzy 1 or Napoleon and or Sun King. Or a few other Iconic Civs and leaders. Maybe that does suggest some more post expansion dlc or another expansion? God, I hope so. Because I can’t see how one more expansion can do everything that needs to be done. Anyway. I’m very supportive of pulling in new factions and faces, but seems odd from a marketing angle to leave out mainstays.

Breaching an NDA in this way is unlikely to have much repercussion legally. FXS won’t have suffered much loss (if any), so there won’t be any damages to claim. They could get an injunction or something similar to restrain the person from disclosing further information, but it’s unliley he has anything more to disclose. And where does the translator live? If it’s in Hungary, FXS would have a hell of a time pursuing proceedings through the courts there given FXS is based in the US.

12. Rup

Rup Warlord

u/LongjumpingBuffalo Pmed me about other mechanics in the game (the guy who apparently leaked the leaders of the next expansion )

Civilization Time & Tide.

Mali under Mansa Musa. Horon Horsemen. Sofa Warrior. Mudbrick Fort. Emphasis on gold generation and river based expansion.

Hungary under Arpad . Hussar. Bastion. Allows rapid expansion (capturing a barbarian encampment without losing a unit allows for the founding of a city).

Gran Colombia under Simon Bolivar. Inca under Atahualpo. The Maori under Tawhiao. Ottoman's under Roxelana. Eleanor as an alternate leader to France. Arawrahta leads Burma. Midgegooroo leads the Noongar.

Hazards as a new mechanic (similar to dark ages, includes epidemics, natural disasters and terrorism).

Kimiimaro and Hawke9 like this.
  13. Zdarg

Zdarg Prince

Well, we already have a civilization whose cities are called after very minor Russian villages.Not really cool.
    I wonder what they can invent for Noongar cities...

nzcamel likes this.
  14. Zdarg

Zdarg Prince

Funny.
    Hard to believe. Seems very overpowered.

Zaarin, nzcamel and Leyrann like this.
  15. Hawke9

Hawke9 Warlord

I asked the leaking reddit user if Eleanor is an alt. leader for France or England. He replied saying it's France.

Zaarin likes this.
  16. Metecury

Metecury Prince

I'll be very disappointed if the leak is real and we get no more expansions nor the civs mentioned above. Some terrible choices both for leaders and civs, who the hell came up with it? (if it was real, which I doubt)

Anyways, I messaged the leaker on reddit and he replied with more info:

Make of this what you will but it does not convince me.

For some reason the image is not showing, at least for me, I put it on imgur here is the link: https://imgur.com/TmV2rRt

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2018
    acluewithout, SelmanV and Hawke9 like this.
  17. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Indeed, unless they are majorly buffing barb camps in the expansion. Can't think that I've ever lost a unit taking a camp!

Zaarin and nzcamel like this.
  18. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

The funniest thing is definitely the posts quibbling over the choices of apparent female leaders, which pretty much zero (non-cultural) arguments over the validity of the dudes. This is a series that put Ghandi as the leader of India from the start (a massively important figure who changed the face of a nation, but technically not a leader and the extent of pedantry we're going down in some of these discussions could quite easily be applied to Ghandi).

The whole point is never the best leader, end of. Firaxis have always gone for the best choice in the game to make a specific person more visible. To raise them into the public eye. Are there more historically-qualified individuals? Often there are. But Firaxis also have to balance this against historical favourites, who have cropped up time and again across all of their games. It's certainly not an easy task, and I don't envy it, six games and however many expansions down the line. It's not a task that gets easier with time. But it'd be good if people realised that their own personal interpretation of what makes a good leader isn't really at all what Firaxis are aiming for here. They've said as much, I believe, especially in interviews around Civ 6.

None of this is an endorsement of the leaked list. I hate leaks, fake, real, whichever. I just find it funny to see the same discussions pretty much every time a female leader is suggested. There's a reason dudes have a historical majority (particularly in Western and / or Christian cultured nations), and it is not because they're traditionally the most qualified for the role :p

19. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

Capturing a barb camp without losing a unit grants you a free city? That is so OP and I hope it isn't in the expansion.

Leyrann likes this.
  20. Nikolai II

Nikolai II Prince

Leaks are just silly, fake or not. It ruins so much for the devs and their owners, and it ruins it for the fans, especially when fake and real information mixes, as it inevitably do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.