New Game- random leader:Roosevelt

Next turn. I might have forgotten to pull the workers back from building that road.

Attachments

• Joe AD-0560a.CivBeyondSwordSave
    176 KB · Views: 49
Joe, your worker management really needs to be improved on a bit. There are four workers on that useless road in Ragnar's territory, yet neither of them roaded the startegically important tile 1S of the rice and there is no worker present for the new city (there should be two to start on the deer and one on the horse, preferably). Also, some of our cities will need more improvements soon. Never give workers long time movement orders. Before moving any unit at the start of the turn consider which workers are free and check your empire to see what needs to be improved urgently.

City micro:
Umma: remove the scientists and work the copper and the plains cottage.
Worker actions: cottages, cottages!!!
Nobamba: build OK,
Worker actions: farms!!!
Bulawayo: work the farm instead of PH mine.
Kwadukuza: let's start on a courthouse here.
Nongoma: work grass mine instead of coast.
Beshbalik: remove scientists. Work corn and copper instead.
Munich, worker actions: farms, farms.
Hamburg: start a workboat.

I don't like to give workers long movement times, but what do I do if they're not needed where they are? Do I improve unworked tiles around the closest cities?

Is one city with cottages enough to support my economy? Is it just more important to keep building farms at this time? I've noticed some riverside grasslands that I would normally build cottages that are getting farms instead.

Joe, if you find your workers idling and you don't have Civil Service yet, what you can do is

1) connect all the cities and important resources with roads

2) make them stand on unimproved grass land tiles, because once CS is done researching, it's time to irrigate those 2:food: tiles and make them in to 3 :food: tiles

Is one city with cottages enough to support my economy? Is it just more important to keep building farms at this time? I've noticed some riverside grasslands that I would normally build cottages that are getting farms instead.
For the moment yes. This is the beauty of an early Representation. Later on scientists will be less effective than full grown towns but as we also plan to keep conquering we can kind of rely on the AI to build and grow cottages for us.

As for your workers I gave you some ideas about high and medium priority worker tasks :) You won't necessarily be able to do all of them at once, but they should all be done eventually.

Joe, your worker management really needs to be improved on a bit. There are four workers on that useless road in Ragnar's territory, yet neither of them roaded the startegically important tile 1S of the rice and there is no worker present for the new city (there should be two to start on the deer and one on the horse, preferably). Also, some of our cities will need more improvements soon. Never give workers long time movement orders. Before moving any unit at the start of the turn consider which workers are free and check your empire to see what needs to be improved urgently.

City micro:
Umma: remove the scientists and work the copper and the plains cottage.
Worker actions: cottages, cottages!!!
Nobamba: build OK,
Worker actions: farms!!!
Bulawayo: work the farm instead of PH mine.
Kwadukuza: let's start on a courthouse here.
Nongoma: work grass mine instead of coast.
Beshbalik: remove scientists. Work corn and copper instead.
Munich, worker actions: farms, farms.
Hamburg: start a workboat.

Next turn.

Attachments

• Joe AD-0580a.CivBeyondSwordSave
    178 KB · Views: 41
Joe, I really don't understand what's going on. I have the feeling you're not thinking about the game at all.

I still can't see any workers on the jungle tile 2NE of Birka, which should have been roaded by now. We want to make efficient attacks, remember? Also, you settled deer city without having any workers in position. Stop farming in Berlin and get both workers in the area up there asap to improve the deer and the horse.

As for the scout: it was meant to find the last AI, what's it doing at our borders again?

Confu missionaries: as already explained we want to spread Confu first in cities that have a need for infra, especially the ones further away with higher maintenance costs. Ning-hsia really isn't of a high priority. Bismarck's ex-cities are. So is our newly settled city.

Do you keep doing these things because you don't read my comments or because they simply make no sense to you? For in that case the option is always open to ask more questions before playing one more turn.

Ulundi: switch to courthouse. You don't want another worker. You want to manage your existing ones better ;)
Umma: pick up the copper again (instead of the unimproved forest). Why did you give it to Ulundi?
Bulawayo: whip courthouse.
Nodwengu: switch to lighthouse. I would have loved to have a Confu missionary here, but I don't think we can wait on that.
Hamburg: whip workboat.
Cologne: whip granary.

Joe, I really don't understand what's going on. I have the feeling you're not thinking about the game at all.

I still can't see any workers on the jungle tile 2NE of Birka, which should have been roaded by now. We want to make efficient attacks, remember? Also, you settled deer city without having any workers in position. Stop farming in Berlin and get both workers in the area up there asap to improve the deer and the horse.

As for the scout: it was meant to find the last AI, what's it doing at our borders again?

Confu missionaries: as already explained we want to spread Confu first in cities that have a need for infra, especially the ones further away with higher maintenance costs. Ning-hsia really isn't of a high priority. Bismarck's ex-cities are. So is our newly settled city.

Do you keep doing these things because you don't read my comments or because they simply make no sense to you? For in that case the option is always open to ask more questions before playing one more turn.

Ulundi: switch to courthouse. You don't want another worker. You want to manage your existing ones better ;)
Umma: pick up the copper again (instead of the unimproved forest). Why did you give it to Ulundi?
Nodwengu: switch to lighthouse. I would have loved to have a Confu missionary here, but I don't think we can wait on that.

Seriously, I really am trying. :blush: I'm trying to follow new directions and remember all the past directions as well. :crazyeye:

Of course your suggestions make total sense- my cities are doing better than if I was managing them myself.

I thought I had roaded the path to Birka already and my army is poised to attack! No?

It looks like I built the road 2E of Birka. I actually do have a worker on the way to the new city (about 3 spaces south.)

Attachments

• Joe AD-0580a.CivBeyondSwordSave
    178 KB · Views: 36
It looks like I built the road 2E of Birka. I actually do have a worker on the way to the new city (about 3 spaces south.)
Just as I thought. :D my comments don't make sense to you and instead of asking you use six workers to build a useless road.

So here's the trick question: what's the difference between roading 2NE of Birka and 2E of Birka? (You can also go back in this thread IIRC I already explained it a few times already. :) )

In order to get my army from the north through the jungle to attack Birka as quickly as possible.

No, or not necessarily. Next attempt :)

Can you give us some screenshots time to time too, Joe? It would be easier to follow your campaign then..

No, or not necessarily. Next attempt :)

Can I get a Lifeline?

In your posts #496, 504, and 520 they all say road NE of Birka in order to get the units from the north through the jungle to attack it sooner. What am I missing? :confused:

Regardless, I didn't follow directions. :blush:

They said road 2NE of Birka. And no, the roads we currently have are fine to transport the units. However, it does speed up something...

Lifeline: why is it always better to attack from a diagonal direction? And why did I say the road 2E of Birka won't help (since we already have trade routes with Ragnar)?

I don't know the answer. I never knew that it was better to attack diagonally.

Joe, think of the shape of the BFC.

Exactly :) What is the difference between the tile 2NE and 2E of Birka, Joe?

Why? 2NE and 2E are both 2 tiles away.

Top Bottom