New Game- random leader:Roosevelt

I'd like to see the plan.

I keep doing things differently than what's suggested here, and it's usually not optimal.

Although I'm winning regularly now on Noble, I'd like to see how the experts play. There's so much I'm still not getting.

It's just a matter of practice :) Also, it has been suggested a few times in this thread: checking your cities and trying to optimize them every turn is important. Don't be afraid to cancel worker orders either if something comes up that demands immediate attention. (You can put marks like "3T farm built" on the map so that you remember to finish the improvement the worker was building eventually.)

Alright then, I will post a plan for this turn when I get home. :)

It's just a matter of practice :) Also, it has been suggested a few times in this thread: checking your cities and trying to optimize them every turn is important. Don't be afraid to cancel worker orders either if something comes up that demands immediate attention. (You can put marks like "3T farm built" on the map so that you remember to finish the improvement the worker was building eventually.)

Alright then, I will post a plan for this turn when I get home. :)

The way I optimize my cities/workers doesn't always produce the best results. :blush:

So the plan :)

A bit ahead of the plan:
New city for silver: we should settle it on the tundra hill between the deer and the horse. This will not get us the silver immediately but it will make a relatively useful city early on even without any buildings and it will have immediate trade routes to us.
Secure the tundra hill with an axeman from Berlin. (Axe should not attack any wandering barbs, just stay fortified on the hill until the settler arrives. As soon as the city is settled it can move out and scout the fur area for food.)
Two workers should go with the settler and start on the deer as soon as the city is settled.
We will send a Confu missionary that way shortly. City should start on wealth.

Plan for T134

Trades:
Pacal: get spices for fish.
Pacal: get 4 gpt for clam.
Kublai: get 20 gold for Meditation.

Immediate worker actions:
Improve ivory in Berlin.
Road network for units towards Birka.
Going with settler towards new city.

I also included other worker actions for the cities, but the above are prio 1.

Units: Since we will go for Ragnar, they best gather in Turfan or Munich for now. Do not send out more units into the wilds as necessary. Do not send swords at all, axes and impi are better.

Cities:

Ulundi: assign one more scientist (instead of plains mine)
Continue missionary.
Worker actions: City needs farms instead of the cottages (note that Umma will have the pig from now on 99% of the time).

Umma: work pig instead of copper mine.
Worker actions: cottages on all riverside tiles.
Continue palace.

Nobamba: assign two scientists (instead of plains mine and grass mine).
Continue wealth.

Bulawayo: substitute a plains mine with grass farm.
Switch to courthouse.

kwaDukuza: continue wealth.
Worker actions: city needs a mine.

Nongoma: switch to lighthouse.

Ondini: continue wealth.

Nodwengu: switch to Confu missonary.

Beshbalik: pick up corn, assign two scientists (work corn and farm), start courthouse

Karakorum: start courthouse
Worker actions: farms needed.

Ning-hsia: finish ikhanda.
Worker actions: Mine needed on PH forest.

Turfan: finish library.
Worker actions: plantation on a sugar. Farms and mines needed.

Munich: switch to wealth.
Worker actions: farms and mines needed.

Berlin: switch to wealth.
Worker actions: ivory camp.

Hamburg: in anarchy.

I might have missed my opportunity with Pascal, but he won't trade for fish/clam.

I'm all ready to attack Ragnar.

I don't have meditation to trade KK.

Attachments

• Joe AD-0620a.CivBeyondSwordSave
    176.6 KB · Views: 53
I see a space victory at 1500, but you can get a diplomatic one even earlier if you can bribe other civs into your religion

there's no need for any invasion

Joe, I posted a plan for T134, and we seemed to agree on playing turn-by-turn for a while. I posted stuff which should have been done exactly on T134 including the trades because we only wanted to play 1T further.

If you don't want to focus on the game nor on the advice given to you, that's fine. The game is easily winnable by space -- not by 1500 AD but presumably 1700 - 1800 the earliest, as you're a bit behind schedule. However, this is only achievable if you can pay attention to your economy every turn, which frankly I don't think you're able to do yet without a turn-by-turn help.

There are a lot of problems I see in your micro. Also, you want to attack Ragnar starting from the cow tile. He has his stack in Birka, that's good, but you will need all your forces to deal with that.

Yep, Joe, I noticed that you are playing too fast right now, while UE is trying to give you turn by turn advice.

A few observation on a quick glance at the last save:

1) Somehow you have a ton of gold. Don't just sit on that. Use it. Paper in 2 turns easily.

2) Not sure you need to be building wealth everywhere right now, especially on the front lines, with all that gold. Border cities should be building units and ikhandas, if they don't have them. You are still warring...don't rest on your laurels

3) I'd build Ikhandas everywhere. Some cities don't have them. Building is cheap and worth it due to maintenance reduction. Easy one pop whip. For example. Look at that coastal city due East of Ulundi. It's working an unimproved tile and has no ikhanda. Queue up Ikhanda this turn and 1 pop it next turn.

4) You have a nice stack, but too many swords. Mix some support units like axes in there...at least 2 or 3 with shock or combat2. However, with elies online, I'd be primarily building those and cats from this point forward. (You have good offensive power but always think about stack defense. Elies help against mounted, ofc, and axes against melee)

5) Try to think about optimal attack positions and AI unit movement. That big stack will take 2 turns to move on that Vike city, when it could approached from the SE in 1 turn. Also, note that rags can move in to a couple of border cities. These cities should be building units not wealth. Be prepared.

Overall, you are still in great shape here. Economy is more than solid. You can take a lot of land from the AI and then settle in to focus on research if you want space.

I thought I was supposed to implement all the instructions I was given and not just to stop after one turn. I saw too late that it said "T134" after I had advanced a couple of turns.

Anyway- thanks to all the help I've been getting to improve my game, I won my first Prince victory in 1795AD!!!! Whoopee!!! :D

Attachments

• Joe AD-1795.CivBeyondSwordSave
    407.7 KB · Views: 45
If Joe is beating Prince that easily, I think he should try a much higher level

tbh, that was an overkill

I won my first Prince victory in 1795AD!!!! Whoopee!!! :D

Deity or Bust!!! :cowboy:

@NoobsterofCiv- Well, this game is all about learning basics and mechanics, so I think it is still worth it. There is still much to learn.

Quite a lot, actually :)

How should I proceed- reload back to the previous save or continue from this last point?

It would probably best to reload and play one turn at a time for a while now. Even if I don't post detailed micros every turn it's easier to discuss and correct possible mistakes.

So the plan :)

A bit ahead of the plan:
New city for silver: we should settle it on the tundra hill between the deer and the horse. This will not get us the silver immediately but it will make a relatively useful city early on even without any buildings and it will have immediate trade routes to us.
Secure the tundra hill with an axeman from Berlin. (Axe should not attack any wandering barbs, just stay fortified on the hill until the settler arrives. As soon as the city is settled it can move out and scout the fur area for food.)
Two workers should go with the settler and start on the deer as soon as the city is settled.
We will send a Confu missionary that way shortly. City should start on wealth.

Plan for T134

Trades:
Pacal: get spices for fish.
Pacal: get 4 gpt for clam.
Kublai: get 20 gold for Meditation.

Immediate worker actions:
Improve ivory in Berlin.
Road network for units towards Birka.
Going with settler towards new city.

I also included other worker actions for the cities, but the above are prio 1.

Units: Since we will go for Ragnar, they best gather in Turfan or Munich for now. Do not send out more units into the wilds as necessary. Do not send swords at all, axes and impi are better.

Cities:

Ulundi: assign one more scientist (instead of plains mine)
Continue missionary.
Worker actions: City needs farms instead of the cottages (note that Umma will have the pig from now on 99% of the time).

Umma: work pig instead of copper mine.
Worker actions: cottages on all riverside tiles.
Continue palace.

Nobamba: assign two scientists (instead of plains mine and grass mine).
Continue wealth.

Bulawayo: substitute a plains mine with grass farm.
Switch to courthouse.

kwaDukuza: continue wealth.
Worker actions: city needs a mine.

Nongoma: switch to lighthouse.

Ondini: continue wealth.

Nodwengu: switch to Confu missonary.

Beshbalik: pick up corn, assign two scientists (work corn and farm), start courthouse

Karakorum: start courthouse
Worker actions: farms needed.

Ning-hsia: finish ikhanda.
Worker actions: Mine needed on PH forest.

Turfan: finish library.
Worker actions: plantation on a sugar. Farms and mines needed.

Munich: switch to wealth.
Worker actions: farms and mines needed.

Berlin: switch to wealth.
Worker actions: ivory camp.

Hamburg: in anarchy.

OK. I went back and moved ahead one turn.

Attachments

• Joe AD-0500a.CivBeyondSwordSave
    174.2 KB · Views: 33
Sorry Joe, I won't have access to my home computer until Friday, so I won't be able to check your game either. Maybe Lymond can help until then if he has the time, or we could just rest the game until I'm back home.
If you intend to play on a turn until then here are some guidelines from memory:

Bismarck's cities are already fairly far away from our core cities and would therefore require courthouses and ikhandas. However, as long as they don't have Confu you would lose OR hammers on making a building in them, which is why spreading the religion there fast (preferably before you start the buildings) is very important. This is why I asked you to build wealth in them for a few turns but they should ideally get the religion and start producing (whipping) those buildings. If you think you cannot get the missionaries in time (you should try though), you best build ikhandas nevertheless. Cologne needs a granary as well and since it doesn't have too good production it's probably best to whip it even without the religion in place.

The first Ragnar city to attack is obviously Birka. Ideally you want to road the forest tiles leading there from the NE because our units are approaching from the N -- don't road the jungle immediately NE from the city, just the way leading up to it. If there's no way to build the roads fast enough the attack can also start from the cow tile in the SE but that would mean attacking later.

You can speed up your research a bit by setting the slider higher. Since we will presumably have pillage gold from Ragnar's cities and you could also build wealth in some we're currently not in danger of going bankrupt.

Always do this before hitting end turn:
1. Open the trade screen and check for technology and resource trades.
2. Cycle though all your cities and make sure they are in a good state. Running scientist if they can, 2 (or 3) pop whipping if they can, don't let them grow into unhappiness, don't let them use unimproved tiles.
3. Before starting to move your workers have a good look at your land and decide about worker priorities. I wrote some general guidelines for the cities earlier.

Once Joe HAS FINISHED this game, I demand that Unforced Error and/or lymond will teach Me and Joe to win Monarch! I just have difficulties to beat it.. Is it fine?

Once Joe HAS FINISHED this game, I demand that Unforced Error and/or lymond will teach Me and Joe to win Monarch! I just have difficulties to beat it.. Is it fine?
Sure, we could have the next game on Monarch ;)

Remember, Monarch is the first level where the AIs start with archery and a couple of archers.

Just the push I need to move up to Emperor. :)

I have won three games on Prince difficulty and three of my top four HOF scores are on Prince difficulty. All victories were Conquest Victories ending prior to 1900 and Industrialism. I played with vassals and vassaled all my rivals. (Is this too easy to do?)

I’ve improved my game, but I still have some basic questions concerning game mechanics before I attempt the harder difficulties:

· When specializing my cities, do I build ONLY farms at a city, or do I throw in a few cottages as well (and vice-versa)?

· What do I do with one unhappiness when whipping will only remove one pop? Do I whip or wait?

· What game settings do I keep and which do I not use (i.e., vassals, events, huts, etc.)?

· What constitutes a good Bureaucracy capitol?

· When should I switch to Representation?

· What should I do differently during a Golden Age?

· Should I go for as many GPs as possible throughout my civ?

· Is it better to build a Great Medic or Academy with my first GG?

· Why is it beneficial to share resources between cities intead of spreading cities out?

Any other hard and fast rules I should follow?

Top Bottom