• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

New Idea: The Preview Thread

I will be the Representative from New York's 8th Congressional District.

Dammit, NK! Restart N3SI!!!!!!

You know I thought the title meant this was a thread where everyone would preview their nes.

Wonderful. I want to know if I have 20 or so people who would be interested. Or more. No player cap. :D

I will be from Minnesota's 8th District. The one that hasn't been won by a republican since 1947. Also home to Duluth and on the Canadian border.

North King said:
*sigh*

No, JD, I don't think I can get back into it now.
:cry:

That was my favorite NES ever...and Minoa was doing so well...

I'll keep an eye on this one, and I might join.

Virginia 9th FTW!

I'll keep an eye on this one, and I might join.

Virginia 9th FTW!

Woah O.o- Where are you?

6th Virginia just to make it interesting.

~Darkening~ said:
Woah O.o- Where are you?

Do you mean, where in the 9th am I, or where is the 9th?

TheBladeRoden said:
So is everyone really paranoid about China or someone around this time? I'm considering making my dude a member of the McCarthyist Party.
Somewhat paranoid, yes (not to the extent of the Soviet Union, though) But no one really considers them Communist anymore.

jalapeno_dude said:

That was my favorite NES ever...and Minoa was doing so well...

Aye. Just when I managed to finish the cimmerian-assyrian union.

Okay, a few more details about the setting:

The year is 2031, and the United States political landscape is in turmoil. Since President Obama and the Second Era of Good Feelings (so termed because of a general bipartisanship in Congress and the States), the electoral system abruptly started to grind to a halt, as charismatic figures seemed to be lacking in either of the parties.

The uninspiring Democratic administration of President Alan Keyes was ended after one term when the dramatic Chinese takeover of Taiwan increased nationalist paranoia, paving the way for the Presidency of Michael Daniels, a Republican who managed to alienate not only the Democrats, but his own party as well. The 2030 midterm elections changed the nation, as for the first time in decades, neither party had a majority in either the House or the Senate. Instead, the Democrats held a mere plurality in the House, while the Republicans were just a little shy of a majority in the Senate.

A dramatic revelation contributed heavily to this: in early October, a media investigation uncovered a staggering amount of evidence that Daniels was in the pocket of numerous corporations. The Republican Party was floored by the blow, but the Democrats, several of whom were also implicated in the corruption allegations in late October, were hardly viewed as a better alternative.

Rapidly, Representatives and Senators have distanced themselves from both the Republican and Democratic parties. The political arena is fairly open, with potential for new parties at its highest, and a number of charismatic candidates coming into the limelight.

In other words, you are free to start as a Democrat or Republican and try to rebuild those parties, but it would be a tremendous uphill battle to try and revive those dying parties. As mentioned, a large portion of the current House and Senate are turning independent, so if you start a party and manage it effectively, you may get a large number of people on your side.

The first turn, 2031, will probably be an organizing turn for most of you, as parties begin to coalesce. A budget needs to be hammered out somehow by the Congress. Also, there is a looming matter of impeachment, as opinion polls show the vast majority of Americans of both party affiliations desire to see President Daniels impeached, and potentially his Vice President, Harry Wilmington, as well.

The second turn, 2032, will probably define the politics of the NES for a while to come. Senate Seats in Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Washington DC, Deleware, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming are up for the election.

And of course, it's a presidential year...

*celebrates* LONG LIVE CHINA! OOC of course :p

Democratic administration of President Alan Keyes ...

What an odd choice of a name, considering another Alan Keyes ran against Obama in 2004 and was an uber-conservative Republican...

Anyways, what sort of information will you be needing about our districts and ourselves?

lol emu, I thougt the same thing

But this looks interesting nonetheless, I'll try it out as a rep. of California's 7th District.

Top Bottom