New Map Scripts Speculation

Hruberen

Chieftain
I haven't heard anything about any new map scripts besides the one in Scramble for Africa, but what kinds of maps are would you want?

I think it'd be really cool if they combined Inland Sea with Oval and connected the 2 oceans so that you have 1 landmass with a heavy naval focus, there could also be island chains in the center.

I haven't heard anything about any new map scripts besides the one in Scramble for Africa, but what kinds of maps are would you want?

I think it'd be really cool if they combined Inland Sea with Oval and connected the 2 oceans so that you have 1 landmass with a heavy naval focus, there could also be island chains in the center.

A Pokéball-shaped continent? Fun fun fun!

I'm hoping that the bridges seen in the Civil War scenario are a new element seen in some new map types.

I'd really like a map that has real variety in it. A proper chance to spawn anything from pangaea type maps to archipelago, but most of the time generating something with aspects of large and small continents and large and small islands.

Basically, i want proper world 'alternate earth' maps.

There has already been maps modes spesific for each each terrain. but the only one not represented is plains. maybe a massive Mediterranean Sea style map?

There has already been maps modes spesific for each each terrain. but the only one not represented is plains. maybe a massive Mediterranean Sea style map?

Are you sure? I seem to remember playing a "Great Plains" map.

I want a Earth with real world starting locations - I just want the option of playing the Inca say and starting exactly where they start rather than choosing Earth and getting Inca starting in Asia.

Something like Continents Plus, but not with ALL the City States on islands...

A Terra-type map with some reason to look for the 'non-starter' continent: Luxury or other resources on that continent that you can't get on your original start continent. Right now, the Terra-type map is the most disappointing (for me) of all the current maps because there is simply no real reason to leave home.

I want a Earth with real world starting locations - I just want the option of playing the Inca say and starting exactly where they start rather than choosing Earth and getting Inca starting in Asia.

Pretty sure there is such a map. try this : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=442692

I have great plans for Indonesia indeed. The World shall beg me for spices , nutmegs and cloves wahaha

Something like Continents Plus, but not with ALL the City States on islands...

Yeah, this. I like the idea of a Continents map script with more islands/larger islands, but sending all the city-states there sucks since it makes it a lot less likely for them to get involved in any wars/get invaded. And it also sucks that no civs ever end up on the islands.

I was chatting with my friend about this today, as we wound up on this great (deformed) Pangea which had many wormy isthmuses and large inland seas. It was by no means a "standard" pangea map. I've also seen it where there was this great horseshoe section of riviera with city states situated along the coast with mountains at their back and tiny rivers. It honestly looked like a place you wanted to conquer just to have it in your empire! An empire should BE aesthetically pleasing, that is the one of the great rewards of a good map.

I wish there was a choice of the pangea, oval, pangea plus, and the "actually interesting pangea/fractal pangea" map as a separate option. The interesting ones only seem to come up about 10% of the time or less. And can it please have worthwhile islands too? :) Seriously, just give it everything - I think the players could handle it.

i have had this idea for a map script every civ start on a tiny islands that forms a ring in the middle there is a big continent with a lot of recourses that you will need to colonize.
its kind of like the terra map but you must colonize it erly.

Pangaea and Continents Pluss for multiplayer would be nice. It's in MP that exploiting City States can be a huge problem, and these map types would be just great.

A Terra-type map with some reason to look for the 'non-starter' continent: Luxury or other resources on that continent that you can't get on your original start continent. Right now, the Terra-type map is the most disappointing (for me) of all the current maps because there is simply no real reason to leave home.

I want that as well. It would be nice if they made it more random as well, so neither the old or the new world looks a like on earth.

I'm hoping for the return of the toroidal wrap (north-south is connected as well as east-west).

I would also be great to pick any wrap you want for any map: none, east-west (regular), north-south or toroidal.

This option was in BtS and it was awsome.

I'd really like a map that has real variety in it. A proper chance to spawn anything from pangaea type maps to archipelago, but most of the time generating something with aspects of large and small continents and large and small islands.
At the moment your best bet might be small modifications to existing map types. I personally often play on PangaeaPlus, but removed the rule that 84% needs to belong to the same landmass; I get anything between archipelago and pangaea (need to also change the placement method for the civs from 'biggest landmass' to 'continental', otherwise all civs will spawn on the same island).
Another way is to lower the continent grain on the Small Continents map script a bit, just so much that the continents sometimes start to clog together a bit.
The Inland Sea map script has been inspired by the mediterranean. You won't find tundra or snow on it. Plains and grass is dominant.

The map scripts never make the headlines, but I think BobThomas - the guy who makes them - will still have made a few for the expansion. He's doing an excellent job on them.

At the moment your best bet might be small modifications to existing map types. I personally often play on PangaeaPlus, but removed the rule that 84% needs to belong to the same landmass; I get anything between archipelago and pangaea (need to also change the placement method for the civs from 'biggest landmass' to 'continental', otherwise all civs will spawn on the same island).
Another way is to lower the continent grain on the Small Continents map script a bit, just so much that the continents sometimes start to clog together a bit. The Inland Sea map script has been inspired by the mediterranean. You won't find tundra or snow on it. Plains and grass is dominant.

The map scripts never make the headlines, but I think BobThomas - the guy who makes them - will still have made a few for the expansion. He's doing an excellent job on them.

I've removed the city state placement for the continents plus map recently and started playing on that. I often find it ends up more fractal than i would like, but it is still an improvement. :goodjob:

Top Bottom