New Mod: "Bigger, Better Worlds"

Originally posted by Amesjustin
Just saw that labels.txt is for 1.20, and that you offered alternates for 1.00 and 1.10. Would the 1.10 version be appropriate if you have 1.15?

Yes, the 1.10 version of the labels.txt file is actually good for any 1.1x version of C3C. (Only releases 1.10 and 1.20 added anything to that file.)

So far as I know, BBW should run just fine (or at least as well as the default game itself does) under any C3C version.

I wasn't wild about the changes to the Industrial tech tree in 1.20, but since I never play the default epic game anymore, anyway, I didn't worry too much about them. ;)

BBW 2.01 mainly just addresses a minor issue that came to my attention yesterday. As it happens, I was stuck on a rather small island. So I made a point of researching Map Making so I could build Galleys and expand off the island. It wasn't until after I'd gotten the tech that I suddenly realized that since I had no timber, I still couldn't build any ships that could transport units. ;)

-- Darryl

I downloaded the file, when I look at the file size it says 30,436KB, yet when I extract it, all I get is a folder called 'BBW Read Me Files' that is 121KB.
It contains 6 files: 3 excel docs, and 3 text docs.

What happened?

Originally posted by runedot
I downloaded the file, when I look at the file size it says 30,436KB, yet when I extract it, all I get is a folder called 'BBW Read Me Files' that is 121KB.

There should be three folders and two BIQ scenario files in there. I just double-checked and confirmed that both the ZIP and RAR files on my server are fine, so it would appear that either your download was corrupted somehow or there's something wrong with the program you're using to open it.

-- Darryl

Strange, for some odd reason my ZIP extracting programme could't pick out all the other files.
I used WinRAR and it could, so now it's all right.

Downloaded your MOD. Very well done. Should have read your documentation more though, found many things that changed the way I play. All for the good though, things that make sense. Love it.

By the way, it crashed once with no message, but loaded from an autosave and continued on with no trouble so I do not know if it was the MOD or something else.

Great Job.

I played your mod for the first time last night and ended up staying up until 3am! It was a very pleasant change from the normal game. I enjoyed the way restricting movement early on mixes up the game. I'm also new to C3C, and maybe I'm just going crazy, but I think the map generator is better than it used to be, because it turned out a map that's amazingly well suited to BBW.

The only thing I'm still confused about is mountains - I can't build road across mountains at all? Does that mean that they'll always be impassable except by workers? Obviously I have yet to play a game all the way through, but I'm working on it!

Edit: I just remembered I have another question. Have you thought about making it possible to irrigate hills? That would remove the frustrating situation of having fresh water just on the other side of a line of hills and no way to get it over. But that might make growth too fast and work against your goal, on the other hand. I don't know, I'll have to play some more.

Keep up the good work, I like it a lot.

Originally posted by Goncyn
The only thing I'm still confused about is mountains - I can't build road across mountains at all? Does that mean that they'll always be impassable except by workers? Obviously I have yet to play a game all the way through, but I'm working on it!

Mountains remain impassible throughout the game to "wheeled" units; however, there are many units, especially in the late industrial and modern ages, which aren't flagged as "wheeled."

Have you thought about making it possible to irrigate hills? That would remove the frustrating situation of having fresh water just on the other side of a line of hills and no way to get it over. But that might make growth too fast and work against your goal, on the other hand. I don't know, I'll have to play some more.

I've thought about it, and really have no particular dislike for the idea. I may yet go with it. The main reason I haven't implemented it already, to be perfectly honest, is aesthetic. The game doesn't allow for special graphics for irrigated hills as it does for irrigated deserts or tundra. If a mod allows hills to be irrigated, the normal plains/grassland irrigation graphics are used, and I don't much like the way the tiles end up looking. ;)

-- Darryl

looks cool will try:goodjob:

Love your mod. A lot of effort has gone into it. I do have one question, why is desert impassable to wheeled units?

I have like the wrost start in the world should I continue?

Now, this IS an awesome mod! Huge respect to Darryl!:worship:

There should be a new Gr.Wonder in modern era: "Civilization" computer game - produces happy faces, but hemmm...reduces city's productivity :D Sleepless nights over Civ dont realy make a hardworker out of a man:)

Q: have anybody had problems with date - i have it always appearing as : " Dec. "

First, thanks to everyone for the favorable feedback. It's always nice to know your work is appreciated!

Charlesstjr: Desert is impassable to wheeled vehicles partly because deserts are, after all, somewhat hard to drive across, but mostly because my evil master plan is to seriously impede early expansion, and making deserts harder to cross or settle fit in well with all my other changes. ;)

Portuguese: I very strongly recommend Rhye's terrain graphics set and CornMaster's city border graphics. Both can be found right here; you can find links to both on my BBW Web page. (The URL's in my sig.)

Bobisback: Before you abandon all hope, at least found a city on the coast, build a curragh, and see what's on the land to the north of your island. Who knows? You might actually have an entire continent to yourself. ;)

Jethro-tron: You haven't upgraded your copy of C3C to v1.22, and so the labels.txt file used by the mod isn't being read correctly. You can fix that problem in either of two ways. You can upgrade your copy of the game, or you can replace the labels.txt file with one appropriate to the C3C version you're running. If you opt to go the latter route, you'll find the relevant files in the mod's "Text" folder.

-- Darryl

A little help for a computer idiot please...

I've been following the discussion of your mod and just downloaded it today. I'm excited to test it out but have a small problem. I can't stand the game's default graphics. Now I have Rhye's graphics set on my comp, but I'm too much of an idiot to know how to use them together with your mod. When I use Rhye's set I usually enter them from the civ-content page and it launces like a separate mod. How can I combine his graphics with your game?

If you have time to help me out with this, please assume that I know next to nothing about computers. You'll have to spell it out a bit for me.

Thanks in advance
Lepto

Originally posted by DB_in_Omaha
Bobisback: Before you abandon all hope, at least found a city on the coast, build a curragh, and see what's on the land to the north of your island. Who knows? You might actually have an entire continent to yourself. ;)-- Darryl

I have abandon that game, I started a new one and much better start:D

I have found a bug. I am playing BBW 2.01 with C3C 1.22. I noticed that my cities were producing far more science than taxes, so I tried building a marketplace in a city that didn't have one yet and sure enough - it did nothing. I checked the scenario in the editor and found that the Marketplace increases luxury output, not taxes! Oops.

It should be increaseing taxes not luxury output;)

Originally posted by Leptomeninges
Now I have Rhye's graphics set on my comp, but I'm too much of an idiot to know how to use them together with your mod. When I use Rhye's set I usually enter them from the civ-content page and it launces like a separate mod. How can I combine his graphics with your game?

The simplest thing you can do is exactly what I've done, which is to replace the default terrain graphics with Rhye's graphics, and be done with it. That allows his terrain graphics to show up in *any* game, unless you're playing a mod that specifically includes terrain graphics of its own.

Just move the "Art" folder from your "Rhye's Terrain" scenario folder to your main C3C folder. You'll get a lot of "Do you want to replace this file?" messages; answer them "yes."

-- Darryl

Originally posted by Goncyn
I have found a bug.... I checked the scenario in the editor and found that the Marketplace increases luxury output, not taxes! Oops.

Um, well, uh, back in ancient times, uh, the economy was so bad, that, um, going to the marketplace *was* a luxury! Yeah, that's it! It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

OK, OK, I'll get it fixed. ;)

-- Darryl

Top Bottom