[GS] New Natural Wonders in Gathering Storm

So I think we can safely say six of the seven new NWs have been reasonably identified. If you could pick only one more NW to be the final reveal, what would your choice be? Either what you hope/wish it would be, or what you actually believe FXS will choose.
Mt. Ararat and Little Ararat. It's not going to happen, but I can wish. It's also a volcano that has erupted repeatedly in historical times (and most recently not all that long ago geologically speaking--1840).

I was recently reminded of another potential natural wonder that would be pretty spectacular from a visual standpoint - Kawah Ijen in Indonesia:

Yes - the lava is blue (due to igniting sulphuric gases). If the mud volcanoes of Gobustan are our sixth wonder then perhaps the dev team was actively looking for volcanoes that are in some way unique when picking natural wonders. If so Ijen might have a good chance.

Also, I would like to add Socotra (an island belonging to Yemen), Okavango Delta (Botswana) and the Cuevas de Marmol/Marble Caves (Chile) to my list of candidates. As a reminder for those who don't want to search through the previous posts it also includes the Sea of Stars (Vaadhoo Island, Maldives), Zhangjiajie (China) and Dallol (Ethiopia).

Plus, in response to the reasonable concern that the Sea of Stars would not be visible during the day I would raise the point that this is the first Civ game with a day/night cycle and it would be a shame to not exploit that for all its worth. I know that doesn't help people who have that option turned off, but I guess there would still be the icon. Plus if the associated beach has a unique graphic that might help.

EDIT: Also Kliluk/Spotted Lake (Canada) after a quick search to find more wonders for tundra tiles. I'd kind of like to include the Tykky/Sentinels of the Arctic (Finland) too but I'm not sure if they're a specific enough feature to be classed as a wonder. I'm pretty sure all trees look like that when you go far enough north...

EDIT #2: Also the Lencois Maranhenses Sand Dunes (Brazil), Mono Lake (USA), Racetrack Playa (USA), Darvaza Gas Crater (Turkmenistan) and Salar de Uyuni (Bolivia). I need to find a better way of adding stuff to this list.

Last edited:
Socotra should have a unique luxury: dragon's blood resin.
Socotra would also fill the obvious gap of there not being a coastal wonder yet in GS. I doesn‘t look that special though. But it‘s important enough to be a possibility.

Also: Chimborazo. Iconic, Volcano and played a pivotal role in the history of science which would make it a good fit for GS. It‘s also the highest point of earth if measured from it‘s center instead of sea level.

Also: Chimborazo. Iconic, Volcano and played a pivotal role in the history of science which would make it a good fit for GS. It‘s also the highest point of earth if measured from it‘s center instead of sea level.
Add that, Denali, and Mauna Kea to already-present Mt. Everest and we'll have "tallest mountain" covered no matter the criteria. :p

This thread is great for finding new places I want to visit (Smoky mountains looks beautiful)

Mt Fuji, Kawah Ijen, sea of stars, blue hole would all make great additions

Highest in North America?
Well, yes. But if we want to include the tallest mountain of every continent, we wouldn't be done with such a few ;-) And I don't want Aconcagua that much... there are way more iconic looking mountains.

I get Mauna Kea, but why Denali?
Denali's base-to-peak height is higher than Mt. Everest's, even though Everest's peak is higher above sea level. A few others have higher base-to-peak heights than Denali, but they all appear to be in the Himalayas or Hindu Kush and we already have Everest. :p But I agree that there are other mountains I'd rather have than either Aconcagua or Denali (though it might make settling Alaska more tempting on real Earth maps), most notably the aforementioned Ararat or Fuji.

Smoky mountains looks beautiful
If you've seen real mountains they're boring. There's not a single peak in the entire range I'd call more than a large hill. :( They're prettiest from a distance where they fade into the horizon; up close you'll see no snow-clad peaks with dark conifers on their shoulders, few bare rock faces, no alpenglow. Since they're covered by mostly deciduous woods, they're actually quite ugly in winter, though pretty in a tame sort of way in autumn.

the cenote one should be +50% wonder production AND -1 population for each wonder constructed; considering what resides in some of those cenote's.

There's not a single peak in the entire range I'd call more than a large hill.

It's not the size that matters. :) I actually hiked McAfree knob (on the Appalachian trail) a couple years back, and it's an enjoyable hike. Yes the mountains in Western Virginia aren't much compared to out where I'm from, but they are quite pretty with the vegetation on them. Our alpine forests aren't nearly as lush as you'll find out by Roanoke. At least not until you start getting into Northern California. But even that is different in a way. I did some hiking by the coast by the Redwoods National/State parks, and it's very green there too. I've never been to Smokey Mountains NP, but have been to aforementioned mountains in Western Virginia on the Appalachian trail and I've been to the mountains of West Virginia. I hiked the highest point in West Virginia, it isn't much but I still classify it as a mountain. To me it was just a joy to see a mountain after many weeks stuck in Norfolk/Hampton Roads where everything is flat. You get tired of flat land after a while, especially because I grew up with mountains (even if most were desert mountains). So even the rolling hills of Western Virginia are quite nice. I wouldn't mind retiring out by Roanoke. It was nice out there.

You get tired of flat land after a while
Tell me about it. I live in Florida. :cry: Despite my complaints, in all likelihood I will eventually move to North Carolina because it's a compromise, but there's nothing quite like the grandeur of Idaho and Washington--or the different sort of grandeur in Utah and Arizona. (Considering how many national parks Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico have, I really have to protest that Civ6 dislikes national parks in desert...)

Tell me about it. I live in Florida. :cry: Despite my complaints, in all likelihood I will eventually move to North Carolina because it's a compromise, but there's nothing quite like the grandeur of Idaho and Washington--or the different sort of grandeur in Utah and Arizona. (Considering how many national parks Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico have, I really have to protest that Civ6 dislikes national parks in desert...)
Far Western N.C. is beautiful country.

Mount Mayon in Albay still spewing ash.
The photo looks like the cover art for GS.
Spoiler :
SmartSelect_20181227-180746_Facebook.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom