New Patch for Rising Tide: Wonder War and Chungsu new colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still haven't really played Rising Tide since release, simply because of how buggy and broken a lot of things seemed to be. It's now been two months since release, and it seems like fixes to important issues are only now starting to appear. Adding new features is obviously nice, but they should really prioritize fixing existing features.

To be honest, as someone who is used to the frequent and quick hotfixes and patches in Paradox games, this whole DLC release has been very disappointing.

And of course you'll see the occasional apologist bending over backwards trying to justify it by citing "limited time" and "limited resources" and how we're all being terrible people for expecting too much from Firaxis.

I guffaw wholeheartedly.

I still haven't really played Rising Tide since release, simply because of how buggy and broken a lot of things seemed to be. It's now been two months since release, and it seems like fixes to important issues are only now starting to appear. Adding new features is obviously nice, but they should really prioritize fixing existing features.

To be honest, as someone who is used to the frequent and quick hotfixes and patches in Paradox games, this whole DLC release has been very disappointing.

How can you know this if you haven't even played it yet? It's buggy nor broken.

I played only one game so far with the new patch. I understood the patch notes to mean that diplo changes would occur when I finished the victory wonder, but this happened when I started building it. Two of the AI had a large decrease in respect, and confronted me the next turn. None declared war. So it was peaceful sailing until the end. Guess I have to play more games to see if that was an exception.

And of course you'll see the occasional apologist bending over backwards trying to justify it by citing "limited time" and "limited resources" and how we're all being terrible people for expecting too much from Firaxis.

I guffaw wholeheartedly.
While there are definitely posters who cite actual developer reasons for restrictions on products created, I doubt anyone has called someone else a terrible person or any similar synonym.

Still, we've received two patches in the time the vanilla product got one, so it's hard to empathise with anyone who doesn't think the developers are putting time in. They evidently are.

I guffaw wholeheartedly.

If, by apologist, you mean someone who is blind to the flaws of the game and seeks to defend it regardless, there are none of them here. Neither have there been any that I can recall.

However, I suspect you mean people who do not share the jaundiced and ignorant view held by some here. These so-called apologists are in fact usually speaking with some actual knowledge of how the industry works while the hot-heads are arguing from a position of idealistic ignorance, a position of willful ignorance which they absolutely refuse to abandon. It doesn't matter how many people adhere to a false belief. It will still be a false belief. :crazyeye:

I am reminded here of a Buddhist expression. It requires no special effort on the part of the mind to think bad thoughts and, left unchecked, the mind will drag the soul deeper and deeper into unhappiness. It requires discipline to put aside negativity to raise the soul out of the mire of negativity and that discipline can only come about as a result of hard work on the part of the man. The fruit of this action is greater happiness, love and laughter that is inspired by genuine pleasure.

Negativity is very, very attractive and people can draw some measure of comfort from sharing the negativity of others. But it only leads to greater unhappiness. Eventually, even their laughter is bitter and hate-filled.

John Lennon sang in 'Strawberry Fields', "Living is easy with eyes closed. Misunderstanding all you see."

I played only one game so far with the new patch. I understood the patch notes to mean that diplo changes would occur when I finished the victory wonder, but this happened when I started building it. Two of the AI had a large decrease in respect, and confronted me the next turn. None declared war. So it was peaceful sailing until the end. Guess I have to play more games to see if that was an exception.

Don't get your hopes up. :crazyeye:

I have not yet tested the wonder war feature but with the way that fear and respect work, I suspect that it might be possible to still avoid war with the AI, even after building the victory wonder, if your fear level is high enough. The key will be to build up your military a lot as a deterrence factor so that the AI will fear you. On Apollo, this might be harder to do, but certainly on the lower difficulty levels, it is pretty easy to keep the peace just by having a large enough military. So, I suspect that the wonder war feature does not force the AI to try stop you from winning, it just lowers respect enough, to force the player to pay more attention to the size of their military to avoid a possible war.

I finished a game on Soyuz difficulty (small map) last night. Endgame saw me (as Kavitha) remaining with just Hutama and Barre left. Each had 9 respect for me (and perhaps 2 or 3 fear) and our diplomatic status was Allied.

Hutama was Supremacy.
Barre was Purity.
I (Kavitha) was Supremacy/Harmony.

As soon as I started building my Emancipation Gate I suffered a loss of respect from Barre but no declaration of war. A few turns later I saw Barre march a substantial land army towards one of my larger border cities. Perhaps four turns later he declared war.

However this is where it gets fuzzy, as it seems that Hutama then declared war on BOTH of us. What followed was a Battle Royale of extraordinary proportions.

My war with Hutama was predominantly naval, and after sinking his primary fleet his captial was easy pickings. I sued for peace after taking it, selecting Khabrost (which he had previously won from Kozlov) as a spoil of war.

As for Barre, I slowly gained ground, using Citadela (which I had won from a previous war with Brasilia) as my forward base. After destroying his Exodus gate and pillaging his few Earth settlements, I captured Magan and won a domination victory (although my Emancipation Victory was not far off).

If this is representative of how Endgames will now play out I like it very much!!

Well that is hopeful, the AI doesn't have much time after you finish it.

From what I've read so far on these forums the game is basically as broken as it was at launch. I'm impressed guys, I really am, about how you keep a straight face and don't get mad at developers/company. Some of the flaws like being able to build buildings for resources from trade routes look like very very basic bugs from programming perspective, so if they're not fixing them, it means that either their code is a total mess, or people that would be able to fix that are already working on civ6, because well, you bought the game and you said it's good enough and you know devs are "doing their best!!!", right? So let's move the manpower onto the next game...

And then the Ai...

Seriously, this game is like an fps with cool looking guns, and smooth mechanics, that has 150 hour campaign with enemies so broken that they cannot hit you or don't know how to reload their guns. I really can't understand how can you say the game is ok and it's a well spent money. From what I've read so far most of you play the game on high or highest difficulties to compensate for the dumb AI. I've also checked what bonuses does the AI get then and I was like "wow really?". What's the point of cool empire mechanics if you're the only one obeying them? It's like playing a survival game where only you have to survive and all the npcs don't care about cold weather.

I am very disappointed with this game. I had high hopes for it, because from visual and art point it looked very good and also, empire mechanics looked very promising. I doubt I could stand how unfinished it is for more than few games though. Sorry for the rant, I live in a country where people can hardly waste money on games, so it makes me extra upset, that the company tries to lure me with pretty graphics into a mess of a game.

1. People get mad, usually repeatedly.

2. It's not at all broken by any measure of the term, excluding the recent launch issue that the patch seems to have caused.

Also please don't talk about programming, people who make programming claims usually aren't interested in backing them up. I've already tried in this or recent threads, so forgive my cynicism.

From what I've read so far on these forums the game is basically as broken as it was at launch. I'm impressed guys, I really am, about how you keep a straight face and don't get mad at developers/company. Some of the flaws like being able to build buildings for resources from trade routes look like very very basic bugs from programming perspective, so if they're not fixing them, it means that either their code is a total mess, or people that would be able to fix that are already working on civ6

Probably a mix of both.

And then the Ai...

Seriously, this game is like an fps with cool looking guns, and smooth mechanics, that has 150 hour campaign with enemies so broken that they cannot hit you or don't know how to reload their guns. I really can't understand how can you say the game is ok and it's a well spent money. From what I've read so far most of you play the game on high or highest difficulties to compensate for the dumb AI. I've also checked what bonuses does the AI get then and I was like "wow really?". What's the point of cool empire mechanics if you're the only one obeying them? It's like playing a survival game where only you have to survive and all the npcs don't care about cold weather.

I am very disappointed with this game. I had high hopes for it, because from visual and art point it looked very good and also, empire mechanics looked very promising. I doubt I could stand how unfinished it is for more than few games though. Sorry for the rant, I live in a country where people can hardly waste money on games, so it makes me extra upset, that the company tries to lure me with pretty graphics into a mess of a game.

Most people know this already. There are only a few holdouts still trying to make apologies and excuses for what essentially comes down to poor game design.

Most of the people who were bitterly disappointed have cut their losses and already moved on to other titles. Those who remain are either like me and want to survey the damage and chronicle how things went completely off the rails, or they're in complete denial of the facts. Probably due to shell shock.

Yes the game has big flaws with op tactics and a poorish ai but it is a fun game to play and can be quite immersive. It is not a train wreck or some other exaggerated description that some have posted in this thread. A lot of people praise Endless Legend but this game is more fun and more engaging than that game in my opinion and the ai is just as good/poor.

If you want a bigger challenge play Civ V but you can actually tweak the settings for this game and make it a lot harder to win too if that is what you are looking for. I also think there are features in BERT which hopefully will be used in some respect with the next CIV game.

I really like the artifacts, the ideas of quests could be strengthened and I think they are on the right track with diplomacy in regard to war score points and bargaining for what you want from a victory.

Yes the game has big flaws with op tactics and a poorish ai but it is a fun game to play.

It's still "fun to play" due mostly to the mechanics carried over from Civ 5. Give it a sci-fi theme and you'll still have something playable.

Many of the added features are so extraneous and inconsequential that most players bypass them entirely (see: orbital layer), while still others are so poorly implemented that players don't even get to enjoy them (see: artifact wonders/buildings that can only be granted to one faction per game.)

If only you knew how much more fun this game could be.

Unfortunately, the marvels have been nerfed to the point of being well, pointless. Honestly, ice biome requires you to find 10 (TEN!!!) minor structures now? The game may be well won before you find that many on a standard map. For all others, you need to find 8 now (hydrocoral, skeleton remains, meteorite craters and giant fungi).
NOT happy with this change. Would've been better to adjust the marvel power instead of arbitrarily increasing the requirements to get it :/

The benefits were pretty awful already.

I barely made the effort then and I'd be surprised if anyone tries now.

These devs are shooting blind and have no idea how to make the game good.

Although admittedly it's hilarious to see them try and only make things worse.

Unfortunately, the marvels have been nerfed to the point of being well, pointless. Honestly, ice biome requires you to find 10 (TEN!!!) minor structures now? The game may be well won before you find that many on a standard map. For all others, you need to find 8 now (hydrocoral, skeleton remains, meteorite craters and giant fungi).
NOT happy with this change. Would've been better to adjust the marvel power instead of arbitrarily increasing the requirements to get it :/

What exactly are you talking about? Game files and Patch Notes don't show any changes to marvels, it's still 1+2 for all biomes except lush where it's 1 + 4 (which is reasonable because it allows you to tame massive aliens).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom