new patch is on its way: 1.0.1.275, released April, 28th

they can write a code for a totally new game in 7 months, but they are busy releasing DLC's :(

That's the usual forum logic that applies to trolls and flame baiters.

Moderator Action: While I'm not sure your exact intention, this remark seems to imply you are calling out Deep_Blue as being a troll, this is against the forum rules.

DLCs they release are largely art assets with a UU, a Unique building or improvement that requires minimal coding to make it work.

Your AI programmer isn't going to be working at length on the DLC. And your art people isn't going to be fixing a bugged feature from the vanilla game.

And TBH, although I have not yet purchased a single DLC, I have been quite impressed with the work that went into them when I reviewed the DLC previews on steam. Polynesia, Spain, Inca's look like top notch additions.

I'm holding out a little longer hoping they all get repackaged into a future expansion/re-release.

DLCs they release are largely art assets with a UU, a Unique building or improvement that requires minimal coding to make it work.

Your AI programmer isn't going to be working at length on the DLC. And your art people isn't going to be fixing a bugged feature from the vanilla game.

Rather than trying to disprove what I say, and instead of commenting on post to post , please go to the point directly.

So I am wrong (in your opinion) and that they are doing magnificent work? and that no big deal need to be fixed in the AI, and they are not ignoring big changes?

you fail to reply to my points and only replied to my opinion "They are busy releasing DLC" , now listen I am a programmer and I know that nothing is needed for a DLC other that art work and some xmls, but I meant that they are releasing DLCs while making slow progress in fixing the game.

Note: Please stop the negativity in these threads of accusing everyone who mentions "Big problems" in the game into a "Flamer or troll". This is totally annoying and will result in me ignoring people like you in the future.

Moderator Action: Please don't make things personal, I addressed his comment in his post, no need to dig into it any further. This argument will stop now or infractions will be given.

I'm only pointing out complaining about DLC is probably not productive. Though I probably should have been more tactful and agree with the mods who admonished my comment.

Also the argument would have more credence if they had release more DLC of poorer quality. So far, we have 2 releases, one of which is a 2 Civ pact, and the quality is high.
Further if it's a question of attention and splitting of resources, there's no evidence either that they can't do both, as the patching has been quite timely and in the case of the march and December patches, substantial.

In anycase, my point is artists don't do code, coders don't do art. Firaxis can walk and chew gum too.

Something I found reading the 2k thread:

In reference to
Correct opinion code so we can get outcomes of friendly or allied.

Question by dukeisaac

Im not sure what this means... Could I have a bit more info? Is it that we have now positive feedback from deals in our relations with the AI? Or is that going to be addressed further along..?

Answer by bigden (Firaxis Producer)
Basically, there was a problem that we corrected that was keeping the AI approach values below a certain level. Now, a player can achieve a much higher approach value. This is not the value you see when you're in diplomacy, this is the approach that the AI is adopting behind the scenes.

Some of the benefits? Gaining Friend/Ally, the AI won't really want to engage in coop wars vs. you, will be more likely to continue coop wars with you, considerably less likely to denounce, more likely to adopt a Friendly approach, etc.

This seems like a pretty big AI change, for the positive.

for me and many other players the broken AI ruins the game and makes it dull, I rarely enjoy the game because I dont see any challenge from the AI and I lose interest quickly.

Sadly, highest difficulty does not make the AI more interesting but makes the game more annoying. Highest difficulty just gives the AI extra bonuses and less handicaps, which means the AI will not be smarter but only have more units and less unhappiness , but in the end it will be the same stupid AI you are dealing with and nothing is changed at tactical or strategic level.

Also some weird AI behaviors were reported by many players, like not capturing an easy to capture city (even empty cities in some cases), no idea how to line units, poor great people management (you see them wandering around doing nothing) .. and a long list of "Must to fix" things that we dont see in any patch list even more than 7 months have passed since the release of the game !

I dont want to turn this thread on more complaining about the AI, but I am just wondering what the heck they were doing in 2kGames in the last 7 months ?!

I agree 110%!

The biggest flaw in civ5 is the AI and they really should fix it, like right now!

The combat AI is just absolutely ridiculous.

I do.

I like winning.

Combat AI lets me win.

Ergo. I like the Combat AI.

Cheers.

Yes.. the civ5 combat AI makes even a monkey look strategical genius, therefore its great. I mean thats what we all wanted :)

Cheers.

You like civ5 combat AI?

Looks like My post came in later than I expected.

I was responding to this.

Answer by bigden (Firaxis Producer)
Basically, there was a problem that we corrected that was keeping the AI approach values below a certain level. Now, a player can achieve a much higher approach value. This is not the value you see when you're in diplomacy, this is the approach that the AI is adopting behind the scenes.

Some of the benefits? Gaining Friend/Ally, the AI won't really want to engage in coop wars vs. you, will be more likely to continue coop wars with you, considerably less likely to denounce, more likely to adopt a Friendly approach, etc.

As for Civ5 combat AI, there is lots of room for improvement, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around what was so good about Civ4 combat AI.

On higher difficulty levels, the AI beat with you quantity. Combat was still essentially baiting their SOD, and killing it.

Is there a timeline on this patch, when it comes out? If it comes out in May I would believe some DLC will come out as well, maybe Korea like others are talking about.

Looks like a lot of good changes and fixes. Hopefully their will be even more Combat AI, Diplo AI and game stability fixes announced as well before this part of the mega patch is released. Even so the changes are heartening.

Is there a timeline on this patch, when it comes out? If it comes out in May I would believe some DLC will come out as well, maybe Korea like others are talking about.

Looks like a lot of good changes and fixes. Hopefully their will be even more Combat AI, Diplo AI and game stability fixes announced as well before this part of the mega patch is released. Even so the changes are heartening.

Sometime in the Spring. :goodjob:

and yes there seems to be DLC coming given the new achievement block of random numbers.

The 'coming soon' feature is likely one of the basic features they forgot to finish before release. A 'staple' of the series as it were.

Yes I completely agree. Finally we get our in-game clock & alarm to remind us when it is time to go to bed. ;)

It seems like a whole lot of changes coming. I'm not a Civ5 player, but indeed it is very good news that they've been spending some time improving code instead of artwork or xml values.

I did a longer post on my blog about the patch.. too long to repeat here, so... look to my sig.

I mostly focused on the combat improvements and the generalized UI improvements that the community has been asking for.

Some good minor tweaks. I'm mostly happy about the modding changes. Allowing modders to disable the happiness system is the first step to correcting it.

Top Bottom