1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

new patch is out #303

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mercurycs, Aug 13, 2007.

1. dutchking

dutchking Deity

*Sigh*
    Those are three of my favorite hobbies...I rest my case.
    Firaxis seems to be taking a break, which I really don't mind, I love BTS even though it's buggy. They've been working for like...10 years now? They earned it.

2. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

One bug that is driving me nuts is the "airships randomly flying around the map every damn turn" graphics glitch.

3. Barada

Barada Chieftain

When trying to download both patches, my AVG anti-virus apparently warns me that a generic trojan virus is detected!!.

I've found this on all the different sites with the patches!!. Is my AVG just being over-sensitive or should I steer clear of the patches ??.

Help appreciated...

4. Colee

Colee Father Of All Bombs

Are you sure that's a bug? I thought it's just AI airships on recon missions, exploring your territory.

5. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

That's not a graphics glitch. they indicate the AI is scouting out your territory with airships on rcon missions.

6. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish King

So in truth it's the nosy AI driving you nuts by flying around the map every damn turn -- fight back and close your eyes.

7. elder abuser

elder abuser Old People Fear Me

Has anyone else been haveing combat graphic problems with the newest patch? And would it be possible to download the old patch again? I didnt experience any problems there.

8. Commander Bello

Commander Bello Say No 2 Net Validations

A lot of users reported strange combat graphics with patch 3.03.
    You would have to de-install and then to re-install BtS and then to install the 3.02 patch again.
    This patch should still be available at different locations, you would just have to check.

9. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish King

In fact go to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Patch
    There you should find, if you downloaded 3.02 before you upgraded to 3.03 , a file Patch_302.exe. Just move this file to your My Documents, uninstall using Add/Remove hardware, when the check box menu comes up choose the patches, reinstall as necessary and then just run the .exe.
    That should save you the download patch time. If it's not in that file you'll have to get the patch off the net.

10. elder abuser

elder abuser Old People Fear Me

:lol: ....I just reinstalled BtS and then I read what you said....thanks anyways tho, I'm sure it would have been faster:sad:

11. Dida

Dida YHWH

Those are the only things being fixed in the new patch???? Why is it 80 megabytes??? This is the largest patch for any game.

12. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Emperor

@Dida
    First the DirectX 9.0c June is large on its own.
    Second this patch AFAIK should include 3.02 as well. So you can use it on its own to patch the retail version.

Anyway, why should you care for its size? Unless you have a problem that this patch is reported to solve, or you like MP, you most probably don't need it.

I just wonder how large the coming patch would be! People with dial up modems will have hard time downloading it.

13. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

We already DO! :(

Dial-up is the equivalent of the 2 paper cups and 50ft of string! :O

I can't D/l any of the patches. They all *time out* or come up with a network termination error after 17HRS of download time.

JosEPh (old and slow......and on Dial-Up!)

14. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Emperor

@Dida

I think Game producer coming up with a better way to protect their products is a better idea. I actually don't use no-cds cracks to keep my CDs from being ruined. I did use them two times before when the CDs were actually unusable anymore. I confess that DVDs are a bit more reliable but still it is not enough.

Again a better solution would be to use a better protection method.

...<snip>...

15. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

Apparently not ;) - thought I'd spread the word for those who don't follow the "Is BtS dead?" thread:

16. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Well, when I posted that, it was correct. I've just edited my post to reflect the new reality, though.

17. BretP

BretP The Lightbringer

my AVG also picked up the trojan. The program deleted the file, and it has not shown up again, nor have I had any problems with the 302 patch since. I use the Civilopedia a lot, so I have not downloaded 303 since it supposedly crashes the civilopedia.

18. Frewfrux

Frewfrux Warlord

After I first bought Civ IV I enjoyed it. It didn't have the addictive 'must-play-another-turn' feel to it that FreeCiv does, but it was fun none the less. When it started crashing randomly, I gave up on it.

I let the next expansion pack come and go because I really wasn't interested in play-testing it for the company.

Then someone told me that the next expansion pack (Beyond the Sword) allowed you to expand into space. Ends up he was wrong, but it was enough to get me to go buy it.

I noticed that the box advertised that this expansion came with all the most recent patches to-date. I popped it into my CD drive and tried to install. It crashed every time it tried to install the latest patch.

A phone call to tech-support and an email later and I had my answer. What I had to do was uninstall the original game, update Direct X, re-install the original game, install the latest patch, and only then could I install the expansion. Looks like it comes with the latest patch but can't install it itself.

Now, when I go to play the game I always end my session with either a frozen screen requiring a hard-restart, or a CTD with an "unhandled exception" error message. Because the game takes more time to load then is reasonable, I give up in frustration. (As a side note, I have a computer that exceeds the recommended specs.)

...<snip>...

19. Jasmo

Jasmo Chieftain

Weird. I have not had problem one with the vanilla or the two expansion. The occaisional bad mod, both never the base Firaxis product.

20. civspain

civspain Your lord and Master

well where is the fix list and changes list for this patch like to know the things im downloading know what i mean