New Unit: Libyan Warrior (September 20, 2004)

I like the yellow skin. A lot of Libyan people at the time of Carthage had yellow liver from chewing in a type of herb called chapparal which they believed protected them from harm since the chapparal is both the oldest plant in the world as well as a great producer of yellow liver. And once affected, the yellowness would then show up around the eyes and then gradually expand over the whole body as the chewer continued his hobby.

Midnight Piper said:
Can do. I used a screenshot of the flic for the small pediaicon and the units32 icon - the large pediaicon needed to be recolored (too big for a flic screenshot), so it's not as accurate.

Edit: I thouight I might use him for an Ethiopian/Abyssinian warrior myself.

Thank-you very much for doing that :goodjob: . It looks great :thumbsup: !

MP,

I like your "reskinning" of UtahJazz7's Libyan Warrior to black. In the image you posted, it looks like you also did a pallete change to alter the skin of the original Libyan Warrior from a yellow to more of a "toasty light brown" color that is closer to that of the image posted by LBPB. If you did, could you post that rendering as well? I'm sure I as well as many others could find a use for both your black Libyan Warrior and a more "Berber" shaded Warrior. (and if you haven't done a "Berber" shaded Warrior, could you?)

SoG,

I'm not referring to the black "Libyan Warrior" from an historic perspective. Rather, I'm using the term to refer to the "reskinned" Libyan Warrior that MP rendered. I think a more "Berber" colored rendering would be more accurate for the real Libyan Warrior. I will use MP's version for a black African civilization (it may not be historically accurate placed in a black African civ, but I don't care -- it is one cool looking unit).

I agree with you on the Numidian/Nubian distinction. However, I think the distinction is lost on Firaxis. I remember reading the early press about some of the new units that were going to come out with C3C, especially the Numidian Mercenary; I was pretty bummed when I finally saw that Firaxis' version of the "Numidian" Mercenary was black. They completely missed the boat in my opinion.

HooDoo said:
In the image you posted, it looks like you also did a pallete change to alter the skin of the original Libyan Warrior from a yellow to more of a "toasty light brown" color that is closer to that of the image posted by LBPB. If you did, could you post that rendering as well?

I actually made seven palletes for this unit. I liked palletes 3, 4 and 5 pretty well, 4 being the dark skinned version I ended up using. I still have the other palletes if you want a version of them. Take a look at palletes 3 and 5 and let me know which you like best:

Attachments

• SAMPLES.jpg
    SAMPLES.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 256
MP,

Both of them look great! From your post, it looks like 5 might be perfect, but I like 3 also. Could you post both of them, if it is not too much trouble? That way, I can look at all three renderings in game. Who knows? I might place two of the Warriors in my regular civilizations, and then have the third be a mercenary available from one of the minor civ resources! I think I have told you this in another post, but if not ... I have completely tossed the original Civ III civilization structure out the window and replaced them with 7 "red" race civs, and six civs each of "yellow", "black", "white", and "brown" races. And my 50 minor civs are broken up into 10 of each race (I'm thinking about adding more, possibly). I am trying to make unique or semi-unique unit lines in each civilization, which makes room for a whole bunch of units of different colors. So, however many renderings you care to share, I'm sure that I, along with a host of others, can find uses for most of them.

BTW, if you have made any "reskinning" changes to other units, would you be interested in posting them? I've still got lots of open slots in my unit lines. :D

Top Bottom