New Version - 3.3.1 (March 26, 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure its been that way for a long time or maybe even forever. You normally don't get pop bonuses twice (whether its progress, the authority bonus on pop, universities, etc)
I somehow never really noticed and have 1500+ hours in VP. Guess something new we learn every day.

Regarding the bug .. It seems to not happen on windows. But the linux version is breaking pretty frequently. Anyone running VP 3.3+ on linux with proton-experimental? I prefer not to login to windows for playing VP :)

Finally .. this version is significantly harder for peaceful play. I am significantly behind in science even with a progress start on deity. Pretty much down by 10 techs in first 60 turns. Turn 29 - 33 statue of Zeus is gone. 55-60 Terracota. Other than stonehenge/pyramids with a good starting location, pretty much impossible to build any wonders until industrial era.

I don't know whether this is the right place to share (probably not), but for the sake of everything (logic, realism, immersion) the Giant Death Robot should be moved to Future tech IMO, where it belongs. Also, something more minor, but still irritative - the Lancer upgrades too late, compared to other units of its historical era. It's kind of breaking immersion to be able to have Destroyers and Lancers at the same time. Otherwise, the mod is becoming better and better with each version. Keep up the good work, guys!

I don't know whether this is the right place to share (probably not), but for the sake of everything (logic, realism, immersion) the Giant Death Robot should be moved to Future tech IMO, where it belongs. Also, something more minor, but still irritative - the Lancer upgrades too late, compared to other units of its historical era. It's kind of breaking immersion to be able to have Destroyers and Lancers at the same time. Otherwise, the mod is becoming better and better with each version. Keep up the good work, guys!
Moving GDRs further down the tech tree would change their status from endangered species on the battlefield to extinct species. By far most of the games are finished long before future tech is reached.
Lancers fill the role of battlefield flankers of their era who hunt enemy ranged units and artillery.
Civilization is not a strictly historical game. Gameplay and balance are important.

I do think that there is a big awkward gap in between lancer and landship. The gap in the tech tree isn't huge, but it takes a long time to get enough oil to actually make enough landships. There could be an intermediate unit at military science, but I'm not sure what it would be called.

Regarding the bug .. It seems to not happen on windows. But the linux version is breaking pretty frequently. Anyone running VP 3.3+ on linux with proton-experimental? I prefer not to login to windows for playing VP :)
Oh, that's not good. I was planning on making proton-exp my go-to for VP. What problems are you encountering? What kind of configuration are you running, hardware, software, distro, kernel version, video driver, etc?

My info is as follows:
Code:
       .---.`               `.---.          --------
    `/syhhhyso-           -osyhhhys/`       OS: Manjaro Linux x86_64
   .syNMdhNNhss/``.---.``/sshNNhdMNys.      Host: NB01 PC5x_7xHP_HR_HS
   +sdMh.`+MNsssssssssssssssNM+`.hMds+      Kernel: 6.3.1-273-tkg-cfs
   :syNNdhNNhssssssssssssssshNNhdNNys:      Uptime: 18 hours, 45 mins
    /ssyhhhysssssssssssssssssyhhhyss/       Packages: 1449 (pacman)
    .ossssssssssssssssssssssssssssso.       Shell: zsh 5.9
   :sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss:      Resolution: 3840x2160
  /sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss/     DE: GNOME 43.5
 :sssssssssssssoosssssssoosssssssssssss:    WM: Mutter
 osssssssssssssoosssssssoossssssssssssso    WM Theme: Adwaita
 osssssssssssyyyyhhhhhhhyyyyssssssssssso    Theme: adw-gtk3-dark [GTK2/3]
 /yyyyyyhhdmmmmNNNNNNNNNNNmmmmdhhyyyyyy/    Icons: Papirus-Dark [GTK2/3]
  smmmNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNmmms     Terminal: kitty
   /dNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNd/      Terminal Font: monospace 10.0
    `:sdNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNds:`       CPU: 11th Gen Intel i7-11800H (16) @ 4.600GHz
       `-+shdNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNdhs+-`          GPU: Intel TigerLake-H GT1 [UHD Graphics]
             `.-:///////:-.`                GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Mobile / Max-Q 8GB/16GB
                                            Memory: 3263MiB / 64085MiB

Last edited:
I do think that there is a big awkward gap in between lancer and landship. The gap in the tech tree isn't huge, but it takes a long time to get enough oil to actually make enough landships. There could be an intermediate unit at military science, but I'm not sure what it would be called.
Dragoons ? war wagons ? Like this cheap Hussite war wagon :lol:

With EEVP mod, you get Uhlan for the Lancer upgrade in Industrial.

Moving GDRs further down the tech tree would change their status from endangered species on the battlefield to extinct species. By far most of the games are finished long before future tech is reached.
Lancers fill the role of battlefield flankers of their era who hunt enemy ranged units and artillery.
Civilization is not a strictly historical game. Gameplay and balance are important.

Although I understand and respect your point, I don't agree with it. What if you end up playing a game without GDRs? Civilization has historical logic behind until the end of the tech tree, where it becomes a mess. You can have GDR before you have a stealth bomber, to give an example. GDRs are decades away from the real battlefields (hence the Future Tech) and the B-2 bomber is operational since 1980s. It's just breaking the immersion for real, IMO.

About the Lancer, why should it upgrade directly to a Landship in the first place? Historically this type of armoured mounted soldiers were gone from the battlefields around Napoleon's time. Yes, there were isolated examples of horse riding lance wielding soldiers beginning the 20-th century (for example Russian Cossacks), but they weren't armoured in the obsolete way Lancer is portrayed in the game. One option is to have an intermediary unit between the Lancer and the Landship, another is to have the Lancer upgrade to something else, for example to Cavalry. Yes, one is melee and the other is ranged, but it makes far more sense.

P.S. Hussite Wagenburgs predate the concept of modern cavalry, thus IMO they are not a good solution as an intermediary unit.

One option is to have an intermediary unit between the Lancer and the Landship, another is to have the Lancer upgrade to something else, for example to Cavalry. Yes, one is melee and the other is ranged, but it makes far more sense.
Big no. One of the VP appeals is consistency among unit lines.
You changed something to it, you ruined it. Vanilla Civ V is notorious for this where some units are inconsistent and cause promotion quirkiness.

If you look at the tech tree, almost all Mounted-Armor units have a two-tech gap between them, so it makes them consistent with other unit lines.
This is why I kinda dislike that on Information, unit appearances are kinda inconsistent for the sake of making them appear sooner in the game.
GDR should appear on Nuclear Fusion, to be in line with the Modern Armor tech path.

Although I understand and respect your point, I don't agree with it. What if you end up playing a game without GDRs? Civilization has historical logic behind until the end of the tech tree, where it becomes a mess. You can have GDR before you have a stealth bomber, to give an example. GDRs are decades away from the real battlefields (hence the Future Tech) and the B-2 bomber is operational since 1980s. It's just breaking the immersion for real, IMO.
This is where game play has to trump realism. At this point in the game, "victory conditions" become the dominant driver in gameplay. And lets be honest, victory conditions are not realistic (except maybe domination). There is no scenario where shooting a rocket off to Mars suddenly makes everyone bow to you.

The late game therefore is always going to be a bit shifty. The GDR exists as a gameplay tool, its:

1) A way for science players to have military forth that can partially compete with all the military techs of the south side of the tree.
2) Serves as the final way to sweep away weak civs for dom victories or to try and beat a leading civ going for the win but ignoring their military.

And it does that job pretty well. pushing the unit back will mean it servers no purpose.

Big no. One of the VP appeals is consistency among unit lines.
You changed something to it, you ruined it.

If you look at the tech tree, almost all Mounted-Armor units have a two-tech gap between them, so it makes them consistent with other unit lines.
This is why I kinda dislike that on Information, unit appearances are kinda inconsistent for the sake of making them appear sooner in the game.
GDR should appear on Nuclear Fusion, to be in line with the Modern Armor tech path.
One thing about lancers that I find often underestimated is how CHEAP they are compared to things like fusiliers. You can often field 2 lancers for every other unit (especially when factoring in stables).

Normally in Civ 5 1 UPT system stronger beats cheaper, but the cheapness is SO big that I actually do find it a factor. I can often swell my army with cheap lancers at that point in the game, and sure they don't do a lot of damage, but I can attack with them, pull back and heal, and send the next lancer in.

I see your point, but again you argue from the standpoint of historical immersion, but I argue that this game has actually very little to do with historicity. Balance and gameplay are the things to worry about, not historicity. If we wanna play historical games we should have a look at games like Europa Universalis or Hearts of Iron. But even in their case the historicity is pretty lax in favor of namely gameplay.

About the Lancer, why should it upgrade directly to a Landship in the first place? Historically this type of armoured mounted soldiers were gone from the battlefields around Napoleon's time. Yes, there were isolated examples of horse riding lance wielding soldiers beginning the 20-th century (for example Russian Cossacks), but they weren't armoured in the obsolete way Lancer is portrayed in the game.
It's not about horses. It's about the battlefield role of the unit.

Last edited:
One thing about lancers that I find often underestimated is how CHEAP they are compared to things like fusiliers. You can often field 2 lancers for every other unit (especially when factoring in stables).

Normally in Civ 5 1 UPT system stronger beats cheaper, but the cheapness is SO big that I actually do find it a factor. I can often swell my army with cheap lancers at that point in the game, and sure they don't do a lot of damage, but I can attack with them, pull back and heal, and send the next lancer in.
How many lancers do you need when it takes 5+ turns to heal back to full (including travel times) every time you attack with one?

Always bring a skirmisher medic, it have high mobility, is quick to get (3 promos total), and help getting those units backs on fight quicker.

Hey this might be a dumb question, but when you mentioned "Not savegame compatible", does it mean we're unable to load saved games? I've tried to load the game from both autosaves and steam cloud, but it just crashes after loading for a few seconds.

Other than that, sometimes after ticking all 5 MODS in the menu and clicking "NEXT", the game would automatically crash as well. Does anyone know how to remedy this? Thanks!

I would reinstall latest VP and made sure cache folder is deleted before starting civ v, then retry checking only base VP mods and see if it works.

"Not savegame compatible" means that you should not try to load a game from the previous version. So any game you were playing should be scraped, or finished before getting newer version.

New release coming soon.

Moderator Action: Thread closed due to new release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom