1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

New Version - June 12th (6-12)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Let's wait for more, obviously. But yeah, I've never had a start like this. I usually don't even look at my happiness early on. Then I glanced and.. whoa!

Thanks again for the constant focus. I really... really... don't know how you do it.

2. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

It's possible that you're undergrowing your cities - since the median values for cities at the beginning can 'spike' due to the low number of cities in the world, the medians of your cities may be artificially higher. Possible the 'on growth TT tells you if you'll have less unhappiness post growth?

G

3. Viralvoid

Viralvoid Warlord

I'm also having lots of problems with distress:
    Spoiler Images :

That is consistent on all my subsequent games, I already halted growing because of this.

4. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Deity

Isn't it kinda obviously the fact, you get now 4 unhappiness by having 1 yield difference per population instead only 1 unhappiness like in all previous versions? :mischief:
    Like I've said in the former version thread, this will not go good. :cringe:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  5. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Emperor

Did you reinstall VP, or did you just replace the .dll from the previous version?

From outside, it just look like the needs for distress are too big from a factor 2 (something like a sum being taken instead of the average somewhere, or vice versa).
    But then, I didn't tried this version by myself

6. Viralvoid

Viralvoid Warlord

I reinstalled VP.

7. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Probably. Disorder at 25 instead of 100 is four fold the unhappiness coming from the difference, but on the other hand, the penalty for city size has been removed and the penalty for technology has been reduced by half.
    Maybe changing disorder to 50 could alleviate this?

8. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

I installed 12-6 version on a game on 2-6 and I saw every city had 1 pop = 1 Distress, so I thought it bugged itself and started a new game. By medieval I see it wasn't bugged, that's simply how the version is. I don't even know if other sources would be just as destructive, but changing that divisor to 100 to 25 was a very bad idea. It's probably the worst unhappiness I've seen in VP for more than a year, and the previous one was already far too restrictive and pretty much unplayable for warmongering later, with the AI's also unable to handle it (had the combat bonus against AI in most my wars on previous version).

9. Rosaria's Sandwiches

Rosaria's Sandwiches Chieftain

Does anyone know a quick alleviation for the unhappiness (editing a value in the files somewhere)? I'm mostly getting a lot of distress too with a re-installed VP; I don't wanna bother Gazebo too much as he seems busy and working a lot

vyyt likes this.
  10. Gazebo

Multiple AI observations showed no early spikes. Very weird. Let me double check the numbers, make sure something didn’t get messed up in merging.

JamesNinelives and vyyt like this.
  11. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Deity

Distress isn't the problem.
    Its only the first unhappiness category, which already is close to the cap by population and the other unhappiness sources are not shown anymore by the cap.

The reduction of the modifiers isn't playing a big role in the early game, cause the modifiers are usually very small in the beginning. In the endgame, we should notice the change, but in early, this change is devastating.

12. Txurce

Txurce Deity

On t117:

Capital is size 10, 6 distress. poverty 2; distress + poverty to increase with growth
    City #2 is size 7, poverty 4, distress 3; distress to increase with growth
    City #3 is size 7, poverty 5, distress 2; distress to increase (+2) poverty to decrease with growth
    City #4 is size 6, poverty 3, distress 3; distress to increase (+2) poverty to decrease with growth

I also reinstalled.

13. andersw

andersw Emperor

Unhappiness got pretty bad before the 4th policy, first monopoly and roads kicked in, several things that eased up things a lot.

14. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

For what it's worth, I'm playing a Progress Babylon with early expansion, and even after planting my eighth city on turn 115 (King/Standard/Continents) I've only had one dip to 90%. That dip was also warranted.

I know you said you test on King, but the few initial reports here are on higher difficulties if I'm not mistaken, so maybe the unhappiness numbers are more impactful or harsh to Emperor+ players? If I experience any problems down the line I'll report, but so far, so good.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  15. Gazebo

Can’t be, Bite assured me I was already an idiot for these changes. :)

Numbers look fine on my end, no merge errors. Possible it’s a difficulty issue but I doubt it. If anyone wants to fidget with the numbers find the CityHappiness.sql file and raise the 4 25s to something higher.

G

16. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

nofun2.png

RIP happiness, late 2018 - mid 2019

17. Gazebo

If gazebo ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.

18. Bhawb

Bhawb Prince

I'm a bit past 100 turns into an Authority Byzantium game and I'm not facing any significant unhappiness issues. Unhappiness has stayed around 85-100% in the early game up till my first war, no real issues there and I had 5 cities pre-war. I did notice the AI is much more forgiving of territorial issues than I remember, Japan and I were pretty friendly early on despite having two cities very close to each other, which is nice and makes far more sense than everyone being pissed off even if I settle literally next to my capital. Once Japan got a bit too big for their britches they declared a hilariously poorly timed war about 5 turns before my Terracotta Army (which is really nice with an Elephant start since you can double dip on Horsemen/War Elephants) and now I've got a shiny Osaka puppet which I'll sit on since I don't even have Courthouses yet.

At this point I'm essentially just a vanilla civ, still haven't done anything with any uniques except a duplicated Pantheon, and despite being in the middle of a war with a puppet I'm looking at exactly 75% happiness which isn't bad. Once peace and religion comes that is going to fly right back up to near 100%. I've had to freeze city growth a couple of times to slow down some cities that were growing too quickly because of Authority's food and a food-heavy start for my capital/2nd city. I haven't seen any major Distress problems, the only cities with "high" Distress are the ones I haven't built Granary/Well or Water Wheel/Barracks in.

19. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Hiawatha 6 progress cities in king. I've dropped to 55% thanks to a war with Assyria I'm getting greedy at turn 90. Still, not significant troubles. Captured one city, peaced out, and now I'm recovering without much ado.

EDIT. Update. I had a hard time later. One city almost revolted. It turned out that I needed walls.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    JamesNinelives likes this.
  20. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Based on the somewhat insufficient sampling above, there seems to be a clear unhappiness dividing line between King and Emperor. I'm playing Immortal, Jr.