New Version - June 12th (6-12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently jumped back into VP after a while away, still having as much fun as ever. One thing that stuck out to me (that may not be recent), is some curious DOWs. Playing continents, I would often have DOW from civs on the other continent which I had little to no contact with. Using transparent diplomacy, it seems like they are a little eager to declare war over: competing for city-states, disliked diplomatic actions, and war-mongering (though most of the time not the aggressor and not affecting the distant civs). I think this makes sense past the industrial era, but before that it seems a bit much. How does everyone avoid pretty much non-stop war when playing as non-authority style.

Recently jumped back into VP after a while away, still having as much fun as ever. One thing that stuck out to me (that may not be recent), is some curious DOWs. Playing continents, I would often have DOW from civs on the other continent which I had little to no contact with. Using transparent diplomacy, it seems like they are a little eager to declare war over: competing for city-states, disliked diplomatic actions, and war-mongering (though most of the time not the aggressor and not affecting the distant civs). I think this makes sense past the industrial era, but before that it seems a bit much. How does everyone avoid pretty much non-stop war when playing as non-authority style.

To understand how the AI chooses its approach towards other players, including WAR/HOSTILE, you can check this thread I wrote on the subject; step 36 of the approach calculation relates to distance. Also, having a strong military is excellent for deterring AI attacks.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/vp-diplomacy-ai-approach-opinion-demystified.645461/

The AI can declare war if its approach is WAR, or if it's HOSTILE and they're going for a Domination Victory (provided that it isn't already at war with another major civ). In this case, it holds off on the attack if its troops aren't in place to invade.

It might also be bribed or decide to start a coop war against you.

To understand how the AI chooses its approach towards other players, including WAR/HOSTILE, you can check this thread I wrote on the subject; step 36 of the approach calculation relates to distance. Also, having a strong military is excellent for deterring AI attacks.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/vp-diplomacy-ai-approach-opinion-demystified.645461/

The AI can declare war if its approach is WAR, or if it's HOSTILE and they're going for a Domination Victory (provided that it isn't already at war with another major civ). In this case, it holds off on the attack if its troops aren't in place to invade.

It might also be bribed or decide to start a coop war against you.

This is great info. Thanks!

Victory achieved :king:

As you can see very high tourism in a 43 Civ game on King difficulty.

Overall impression. Progress is King. That is if you have the space to do it early (deficit on 43 games). Progress is slow start but snowballs later.

Having religion founded helps. But not critical I think.

Civics were Progress - Fealty - Artistry - Freedom

There is bug in this version - Those "give me 10 turns to prepare" wars don't work. The Civ forgets to ask you to join the war after 10 turns.

I am going to play the July version now.

Culture with Morocco.png

There is bug in this version - Those "give me 10 turns to prepare" wars don't work. The Civ forgets to ask you to join the war after 10 turns.

View attachment 530135
Intentionally sometime they'll forget after you IGE in a million soldiers for the person they asked you to declare war on with or you delete their army.

I am not sure what IGE means. Is that a mod ?

What hapenned there was he asked for DOW, I told him okay in 10 turns, then after 5 turns or so he declared the war himself. I was expecting he would remind me on my promise but he never did. Of course I played dumb too and didn't volunteer.

What hapenned there was he asked for DOW, I told him okay in 10 turns, then after 5 turns or so he declared the war himself. I was expecting he would remind me on my promise but he never did. Of course I played dumb too and didn't volunteer.

Yes. In-Game Editor.

This scenario has played out for me more than a few times over the past year or so. I think it's just a matter of the AI jumping the gun a bit after possibly see a prime opportunity to pounce. Could be a bug though, I'm not entirely sure. My man doesn't even know what IGE is, so I doubt he uses it, ruling that out.

I've had civs reconsider going to war/going to war early and forgetting the 10 turn promise. Sometimes it is helpful to not have to go to war when things change, other times I forgot I wanted to go to war and "have to" save scum.

The worst case is when the civ you're about to declare war on makes a defensive pact with your friend in those 10 turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom