New video with Ed Beach 3/20

Perhaps I missed it in the context, guess I will watch it again, but he did not specify that holy warriors was a founder belief right?

No clue how it would work as a follower belief unless you do have to declare a state religion so maybe it is a Founder belief. I suppose looking at confirmed follower beliefs that they are all city centric so far and not civ wide really so...

This also makes me wonder what happens if you didn't found a religion but you conquer the founding city? Shrine ala civ4 and you become the owner of the founder beliefs? hmm

Perhaps I missed it in the context, guess I will watch it again, but he did not specify that holy warriors was a founder belief right?

No clue how it would work as a follower belief unless you do have to declare a state religion so maybe it is a Founder belief. I suppose looking at confirmed follower beliefs that they are all city centric so far and not civ wide really so...

This also makes me wonder what happens if you didn't found a religion but you conquer the founding city? Shrine ala civ4 and you become the owner of the founder beliefs? hmm

Yes, he did say "Holy Warriors" was one belief. So only one civ will be able to get it.

From the way he described it, Holy Warriors simply sounded like a belief you can adopt that allows you to purchase units with faith, just as you would with gold. I doubt it's anything other than that.

From the way he described it, Holy Warriors simply sounded like a belief you can adopt that allows you to purchase units with faith, just as you would with gold. I doubt it's anything other than that.
Hmm.. Indeed.
To quote:
'But if you choose the holy warriors belief then the faith that your people are building up can actually be used to purchase military units through the renaissance'

I wonder how the last bit works, does the belief just go obsolete when you enter the industrial age? Can beliefs go obsolete?

Maybe if religion is tapering off at about that stage it's simply a matter of purchasing costs becoming too high for the belief to be usable.

I think that if you'll pursue a heavy religious path, generating lots of faith points per turn, allying with religious city states and saving up those points, then it might be viable to purchase a religious army in Industrial age or even early Great War/Modern era. But it's just a speculation, as most probably, this belief will be obsolete after Renaissance - it's power simply switched off. So this would be really situational, but would reflect the crusades or other kinds of jihads and holy wars pretty well - as furious wars with grand armies rising immediately, but ending abruptly.

U r probably right. However I would like to see some kind of holy warrior promo for units purchased through faith for some extra flavour & strategy. :)

I think that if you'll pursue a heavy religious path, generating lots of faith points per turn, allying with religious city states and saving up those points, then it might be viable to purchase a religious army in Industrial age or even early Great War/Modern era. But it's just a speculation, as most probably, this belief will be obsolete after Renaissance - it's power simply switched off. So this would be really situational, but would reflect the crusades or other kinds of jihads and holy wars pretty well - as furious wars with grand armies rising immediately, but ending abruptly.

I feel like it will be more along the lines of the belief obsoleting once you hit the Industrial Age. Otherwise the best strategy would be to stockpile Faith like mad and then use it to pump out a ton of "free" modern units. I can see the AI abusing this for sure.

I feel like it will be more along the lines of the belief obsoleting once you hit the Industrial Age. Otherwise the best strategy would be to stockpile Faith like mad and then use it to pump out a ton of "free" modern units. I can see the AI abusing this for sure.

Or, depending on whether this faith allows you to purchase any military unit or a specific "holy warrior" unit, perhaps the unit itself becomes obsolete by new units in the Industrial Age.

Or, depending on whether this faith allows you to purchase any military unit or a specific "holy warrior" unit, perhaps the unit itself becomes obsolete by new units in the Industrial Age.

Seems unlikely that it's a seperate unit, but anything is possible I suppose.

That interviewer doesn't get much sun, does he? :mischief:

Thanks for sharing.

He reminded me of Daryl Dixon from The Walking Dead TV series.

I think it's been discussed already that the way religion peters out towards the end is that the faith costs increase dramatically over time. So stockpiling wouldn't do you a lot of good if that was the case for units.

I'm curious to see the mechanic by which religion gradually declines in importance. We've been told it has something to do with each Civ reaching the Renaissance (discovering a tech? constructing a building? picking a Social Policy?), but can be combated by a Religious Civ that wages holy war, so presumably how long Religion would remain relevant would vary from game to game.

I'm curious about it as well. Is it a hard limit expiration? Does it dwindle?

@wobuffet: Perhaps holy warriors generate religion points.

I'm curious to see the mechanic by which religion gradually declines in importance. We've been told it has something to do with each Civ reaching the Renaissance (discovering a tech? constructing a building? picking a Social Policy?), but can be combated by a Religious Civ that wages holy war, so presumably how long Religion would remain relevant would vary from game to game.

Most of what I've seen about Religion decreasing in importance was in a diplomatic context, which makes sense as Renaissance is when Espionage starts and apparently in Industrial your policy choices start to have an effect as well.

As for bonuses decreasing over time, I haven't yet seen clear evidence of that.

An example of diminishing returns and changes to religion that isn't tied to diplomacy are great prophets becoming more expensive to buy after the Renaissance, or perhaps during the renaissance.

I believe the idea mentioned in one of the previews was that with the increased faith cost, it becomes increasingly difficult to make grand sweeping changes in terms of religion. So conversions of massive amounts of cities to your faith is probably difficult to impossible after this point.

I would assume most faith based bonuses go up in price at this point

Or it gets to a point where the cost effectiveness of faith purchasables plateaus compaired to other areas of development and it becomes a no-brainer to switch to a different area of focus.

Top Bottom