[GS] New World Wonders in Gathering Storm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Terminology guys!

A floodgate is a gate, typically in a river, though it can also be found in canals and the like, which can be opened to change water levels; this causes a flood in the lower areas, hence it's name. They're also very common (if not always present) with dams to allow for better control of the water level in the reservoir.
My mistake, flood barrier was mentioned on the official site. Not sure why my mind was thinking of a flood gate.

Machu Picchu was featured in the trailer and in the art of Gathering Storm, I would be disappointed if this is not a wonder.
I'd like to point out that Machu Picchu will somehow be making an appearance in this expansion, how I'm not sure. There are three possibilities:
It could be a unique looking palace for the Inca, though not necessarily named.
The other alternative is it is a wonder, now that it seems like due to the tunnels, and ski resorts, we can now build on mountains so it is a possibility.
Alternatively it is a unique infrastructure for the Inca, but I think at this point a Terrace farm is inevitable for the above reasons. So one of the top two options make the most since to me.

There's a new Wonder called the Great Bath. Could it be that mistery temple/bath we have seen in the screenshots?
upload_2018-11-27_10-9-43.png

Does that refer to an actual structure? The name seems somewhat bland for a Wonder.

It's not a dike, a dike is a wall of (typically) earth to keep water out of a lower piece of land, typically a polder. The Oosterscheldekering is a (very advanced) dam to keep the high tide of a storm out of the estuary of the Oosterschelde.

[...]

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Terminology guys!

A floodgate is a gate, typically in a river, though it can also be found in canals and the like, which can be opened to change water levels; this causes a flood in the lower areas, hence it's name. They're also very common (if not always present) with dams to allow for better control of the water level in the reservoir.

If in doubt about hydrological engineering terminology, always ask a Dutchman ;)

Odd that they added architectural elements that were not invented for thousands of years. But anyway, I think it`s interesting they go with new wonders from the ancient era this time around.
Yea, I'd like to know what they were smoking when they came up with that design. "Hey, let's just throw together a bunch of different architectural styles from all over India across thousands of years and call it a day".

Yea, I'd like to know what they were smoking when they came up with that design. "Hey, let's just throw together a bunch of different architectural styles from all over India across thousands of years and call it a day".
And I still haven‘t found any reconstruction that is even vaguely similar in parts.

With China being confirmed as one of the existing civs that is getting re-designed, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Great Wall make a return as a wonder, though I will confess that I have no idea how it would work within the "everything on the map" ethos of Civ VI.

Statue of Zeus seems like an obvious addition.

Great Bath/Golden Gate Bridge/Panama Canal/UN seem like they're all but confirmed.

I'd bet that we'll see at least one futuristic wonder as well.

My official prediction:
Great Bath
Golden Gate Bridge
Three Gorges Dam
Panama Canal
UN
Statue of Zeus
International Space Station

*If* there's a 3rd expansion coming, Statue of Zeus will go there and Machu Picchu will appear as a wonder instead.

I'm not sure there'll be a UN wonder. It looks from the First Look like the World Congress is available very early in the game.

Possible. I still think it will appear and give bonuses to diplomatic favor. I hope you're right though, as it tends to be a pretty boring wonder IMO.

I think Machu Picchu is a shoo-in for this expansion (assuming the Inca are, indeed, included).

With China being confirmed as one of the existing civs that is getting re-designed, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Great Wall make a return as a wonder, though I will confess that I have no idea how it would work within the "everything on the map" ethos of Civ VI.

Statue of Zeus seems like an obvious addition.

Great Bath/Golden Gate Bridge/Panama Canal/UN seem like they're all but confirmed.

I'd bet that we'll see at least one futuristic wonder as well.

My official prediction:
Great Bath
Golden Gate Bridge
Three Gorges Dam
Panama Canal
UN
Statue of Zeus
International Space Station

*If* there's a 3rd expansion coming, Statue of Zeus will go there and Machu Picchu will appear as a wonder instead.
I am pretty sure the great wall will stay. There is a possibility though it could be moved to be a UI of Qin and China could get a Grand Canal district.

Where would an International Space Station go?

The Great Wall can be a wonder exception, it would not need specific placement, it would just occupy the edges of civilization, like the previous edtions. Personally, I prefer the Great Wall as a wonder rather than an improvement, it does not work as improvement, and it is quite useless.

If it is going to keep as an improvement, that at least make it useful to build.

The Great Wall can be a wonder exception, it would not need specific placement, it would just occupy the edges of civilization, like the previous edtions. Personally, I prefer the Great Wall as a wonder rather than an improvement, it does not work as improvement, and it is quite useless.

If it is going to keep as an improvement, that at least make it useful to build.
Hes I agree it isn’t the most useful improvement to build but I admit it’s fun to build it one by one.
That could just be me though.

Hes I agree it isn’t the most useful improvement to build but I admit it’s fun to build it one by one.
That could just be me though.

They could improve the Great Wall by giving extra bonuses when many tiles of Great Walls are linked together, it would be challenging to build a really big Great Wall to actually earn significant bonuses. But as it is now, it is simply an useless improvement that I only build in deserts because there is nothing better to build there :p

Top Bottom