1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] News: BOTM 144 starts December 9th

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Dec 5, 2017.

1. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (like a burning Phoenix) Hall of Fame Staff

Ok..I may have a possible solution after testing something based on my theory.

One thing I did know after starting using the Steam version is that base DLL for their version is slightly different (file size is smaller), even for the "beta" version which was supposed to restore the original assets. This, I assumed, was a major part of the problem, i.e., different assets preventing loading a save game with LMA. It appears Neil basically copied over all the BTS assets with non-Steam version of the assets, like he recommended for vanilla and warlords. Basically, 2gigs worth of files. What downloading Neil's assets did for me though is gave me access to the original DLL file again. So I simply copied over the original DLL file to my Steam version Asset folder and tested out loading this game. It loaded fine. (I have not played it yet though to see if other issues, but loading the game was half the battle)

Now, just so you know, I've been using some .bat executable files (DLL switchers) for years now - courtesy of one Dhoomstriker - that allow me to quickly change my vanilla DLL file to BULL DLL and back with the simple click of the mouse. I created a new .bat file called BUFFY that will switch to the old non-Steam vanilla DLL file. I'm uploading a zip file containing these .bat files for those that want to try it out (hint hint Deck). I'm including the .bat file for the BULL as well, in case anyone wants it - no harm either way.

So some basic instructions. You will need to add an extension to the DLL file(s) you currently have in the Assets folder. For instance:

CvGameCoreDLL.dll.original - (this would be the Steam version dll)

or

CvGameCoreDLL.dll.buffy - (this would be the old original version)

or

CvGameCoreDLL.dll.bull - (this is the BULL DLL if you use it)

This basically deactivates the DLL. No worries that you don't have an active DLL file at the moment. The naming conventions must match those conventions used by the .bat executables.

Download the zip file and extract it. I keep them in my main BTS folder since that is where I run my BTS executables anyway, and I have that folder pinned to quick access in Explorer.

You will need to edit each .bat file in Notepad to match your folder structure of your machine. Mainly at the 6th line "set civpath...". But if there are any other oddities to your folder paths then check the file and make adjustments accordingly. Once the .bat file is setup correctly, you click on the corresponding .bat file for how you want to run the game. The .bat file converts one of the non-active DLL files to be active - no matter if there is no active DLL present. You can switch cleanly and quickly between each type.

(Note: I used these DLL switchers originally to switch from vanilla dll to bull dll when I wanted to run the game with BUG/BULL in custom assets, as bull would conflict with many of the other mods I used to run. It actually does not conflict with running the BAT mod or even the BUFFY mod, but like this situation, you can't open someone else's BAT or BUFFY save if you had BULL active yourself and they did not, or vice versa)

I will try out this game as well, as I did want to play it, so will let you know if there are other issues encountered. I encourage any other Steam users to try it out. If it works out, the GOTM staff can possibly recognize this as the Steam solution for now and post it in a more public place. (I certainly apologize for hijacking the BOTM 144 announcement thread, but as the Steam version becomes more prevalent among players, a solution seems warranted)

(edit: I reupload the zip file to include the orignal non-Steam DLL in the non-active format as folks with Steam likely don't have it available)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  2. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Gosh, thanks lymond. That could be potentially very helpful. Sure, let us know how you get on with that technique.

One minor point. The file you uploaded is a .rar file, not a standard .zip file - which means I can't extract the contents, and I'm guessing a few others won't be able to. (I don't have Steam so can't test anything, but I'd certainly look at the bat file to see how it works :) )

3. lymond

I have played quite a few turns of this game and have had no issues or crashes. Only peculiar thing was near the beginning when I was assigned a religion. I thought Deck assigned them already, but I was able to pick one after a few turns, and it acted a little bizarre as it asked me to pick a religion 3 times, but only one was actually selected. I chalk that up right now to possibly something Deck did to the game and not my workaround.

I use rar but I'm able to extract any zip type files with them. Just try directly extracting them from the right context menu as I do with whatever software you use (winzip, 7zip,whatever) If not, it is easy to download winrar from here:

https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

winrar comes with a trial, but I just keep using it after the trial. I can extract with it and create zips directly from the right context, but cannot do more advanced stuff with it without the license. But extract is all I need.

Let me know if anyone has an issue, and I'll look for other options on the files. winrar is all I have at the moment. Used to have a winzip license, but that was eons ago.

edit: Well, I just learned something new. Apparently, I can create zip files from the winrar tool. Just thought they all worked the same. I uploaded a zip version.

Attached Files:

4. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

Yeah, that was DH all the way with the religions. I did warn him, but too late to make a test/change. I am only glad that more mapmakers push the boundaries of what is possible, and sorry that my eagerness to play kept me out of the Issues thread. Your input is very welcome, since I will soon upgrade my hardware and probably be stuck with Steam for Civ4/BtS... and I fully intend to be the last man standing and get that Eptathalon eventually. Target date 2025 or bust!

5. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Well, I am happy you got it all working. And if I recall the hard work was getting Vanilla and Warlords to work.

I can upload my Vanilla and Warlords files if that helps anyone.

6. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Ahem [clears throat/]
    That sort of spoiler information usually goes in the first spoiler (where I wanted to discuss it).
    Only 3 days to go and I doubt this information will affect anyone's game at this point.

So, I will discuss it here - where everyone is more likely to see it:
    I am most interested to know if anyone did not get a religion to choose (around turn 6)?
    Let us know - either in first spoiler after you have played to 1 AD or here 24 December or later.

You were able to choose multiple times "because reasons". your first choices were already taken. perhaps because Classical Start wants to assign 3 religions. Buddhism, Hinduism, and Judaism were preassigned.
    Even though I preassigned the known religions, the Classical start game still assigns another one. I think it always (usually???) goes to the player in this game because the AIs already have religion. Anyone who didn't get one would be at a slight disadvantage; so I'm interested to know if that can happen.

btw, thanks for .zip files and information

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  7. lymond

oops..where am I? :confused::mischief:

Neil, I think making the vanilla and warlords files available would be nice. Again, it may just be the that dll that we need. Maybe link it in that Win 10 thread.

8. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

Game is new, should be more than 3 days? ;)

9. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Yes indeed.
    oops, I was confused and looked at botm143 due date. :blush:

10. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

I have updated the Win10 thread (stickied on main Civ4 xOTM forum page)with my entire Steam Vanilla folder. Anyone should be able to copy it and it should work... assuming you have purchased Civ4 on steam,