News: GOTM 11 Pre-Game Discussion

Hi all,

Assuming that folks still read this thread after the GOTM starts … (I have not downloaded the file yet)

Consensus seems to be build in place. JericoHill had the following idea:

So with that said, I believe I will move 2E and settle on the coast there. This will keep the clams in my fat cross, but potentially gain another visible resource. It will also allow me to plop down another city on that shoreline.

Others had reservations about the 2E move. 2E looks like a hill, so given the river, am I right that you could not build there until turn 3?

Given the idea of two cities on the coast, would building 1W make any sense? It does not waste the western tile column, city is still coastal, and one clam is still in the fat cross. A second city could go on 2E later and use both clams for fast growth and to feed the hill miners. Considerable overlap, but a lot of commerce to be had.

Nilson had posted about settling north. Moving inland has the advantage of reducing more land fog. The circled hill NNE could be settled on turn 2, but may have production deficits.

The settler could move north 1, with the option of going back to origin, to the hill NE, or to the coastal grassland SW (of the new location) depending on what is revealed in the north, settling somewhere on turn 2.

May not be better than settling in place, but these seem like the other options.

da_Vinci

da_Vinci said:
Others had reservations about the 2E move. 2E looks like a hill, so given the river, am I right that you could not build there until turn 3?

You are able to settle there on turn 2.

Given the idea of two cities on the coast, would building 1W make any sense? It does not waste the western tile column, city is still coastal, and one clam is still in the fat cross. A second city could go on 2E later and use both clams for fast growth and to feed the hill miners. Considerable overlap, but a lot of commerce to be had.

The idea was to get a lot of commerce from coast with lighthouse, colossus and great lighthouse. However there is probably not anough water tiles on highlands map for it to be a good strategy. You can invest hammers elsewhere.

And there are probably not enough people who still didn't download the save

da_Vinci said:
Hi all,

Assuming that folks still read this thread after the GOTM starts … (I have not downloaded the file yet)

Consensus seems to be build in place. JericoHill had the following idea:

So with that said, I believe I will move 2E and settle on the coast there. This will keep the clams in my fat cross, but potentially gain another visible resource. It will also allow me to plop down another city on that shoreline.

Nilson had posted about settling north. Moving inland has the advantage of reducing more land fog. The circled hill NNE could be settled on turn 2, but may have production deficits.

The settler could move north 1, with the option of going back to origin, to the hill NE, or to the coastal grassland SW (of the new location) depending on what is revealed in the north, settling somewhere on turn 2.

May not be better than settling in place, but these seem like the other options.

da_Vinci

Actually, I am going to settle 1E. I want to bring in those hills and allow room for a 2nd city either on the coast and west or north and west.

I'm probably going to settle in place, then hurry to bronze working and archery, as there is no way I'll survive the unwashed masses without it. Also, I'll probably whip up my own Great Wall, thanks to it being a Highlands map.

I really think hunt->arch is a recipie for disaster. I think barb fighting is less about actually fighting the barbs as it is fog busting. You want as many people out there opening up as much space as possible and then hope they get pulled by magnetic forces to the AI and not you.

Then you make an end run to the CS slingshot and hope that you can hook up some bronze/iron by virtue of some cat+{archer or perhaps chariot} rushes if no Bronze or Iron is present. By that time barbs aren't the issue.

If peaceful then you can go at it any number of ways, but wasting hammers on archers early is a lost cause.

Barbs are going to be a problem from 1500BC to 50AD and that's it. 10+XP archers will do you no good long term and are hardly a sure thing. I'll take my chances without archery like I always do till the last possible second.

So far so good on a test game using archers. I didn't use one of the saves in the thread, just generated a game with the same settings as posted. There are no large lakes/seas that I have found. I am in last place around 350BC but have been hanging in there (first Monarch game).

I have built 10 archers (lost 3) and have killed 20 barb archers and 32 barb warriors. I also have a couple woodsman II warriors that have been pitching in. So while I might not be on my way to worldwide domination, I don't feel doomed (yet!).

I just managed to hook up bronze in one of my 3 cities and have some axemen coming to the rescue of my lvl 10 archers (to deal with the new barb axemen). All 3 of my cities are on hills, and with city defense III archers, that is a formidable city to take, even with axemen.

I don't anticipate winning this first monarch game (and first GOTM) but I am excited to get started. Here we go...

dowski

p.s. thanks for all the great strategy talk. i am more of a "wing it" kind of guy, so we will see what happens...

I have never played raging barbs before, but it is a lot of fun! Completely changes the game.

Played a couple of testgames from the maps posted here - thanks. Imao the seperate island map was way to easy - GOTM will probably be a lot more challenging, especially considering the realatively low diffeculty level. From the testgames my experience is that there is time for BW - and if no copper is within the stating postion - archery has to be next.

I'll move and settle 1E from starting postion:
1. build a workboat,
2. pop a worker,
3. chop a settler,
4. build a couple of archers for protection of citys, improvments and reconnaissance.

Testgame experience on the agressive AI is that tech trading won't give much and that some early wars are to expect - but the AI on this level has a hard time fighting a couple of experienced archers.

Evaluation in the first spoiler

culdeus said:
If peaceful then you can go at it any number of ways, but wasting hammers on archers early is a lost cause.

Barbs are going to be a problem from 1500BC to 50AD and that's it. 10+XP archers will do you no good long term and are hardly a sure thing. I'll take my chances without archery like I always do till the last possible second.

I definately want to read how well this works. I normally send settlers with at best fog busting cover and only add military to my early cities when they need it for happiness.

However, in the test maps I've been running I've had barbs keep hitting me enmass around 2300BC, even with lots of warrior fog busters that were just rolled over. I've found a few archer fog busters on hills or in forests work well even when flooded from one side. At least on this map we won't be flooded from the south initially, though I worry about galleys killing my work boats later on. Will definately try to fog bust the entire coast if it is small enough. At worst, archery will be my 3d tech this time. Normally I pick it up as a trade after I get Alphabet. As someone who will be trying conquest again, I hate to think about how experienced the enemy archers will be by the time I get there with my Horse Archers.:eek:

Edit: OK culdeas, you had me spending my day off running more test maps instead of starting the game. Gonna try it without early, early archers. Crazy talk I say, just crazy talk.

Top Bottom