News: GOTM 22 Pre-Game Discussion

Hrm, for some reason, I can't get it to load... I'm completely updated, but it keeps telling me that "the save file you have selected is protected to ensure that assets in your mod folder have not been changed"... any clue as to what may be the problem?

Moderator Action: POST DELETED. PLEASE DO NOT POST GAME INFORMATION OUTSIDE THE SPOILER THREADS

@Jamesds

All that info is spoilerish. You can post in this thread as long as you have not started the game. I would kindly as you to delete (press EDIT) all that info from this thread. Take it to the "GOTM22 First Spoiler" thread instead.

EDIT: I'll try to answer some of your questions there

Aw... My sides hurt...

As do mine..... I think that I've decided "always war" is NOT FUN. I tried a third map. Dropped in some copper & iron nearby. Built 3 cities. The barbs were not much of a problem this time. Started building Preats. Every time I thought I was getting ahead, 2 or 3 civs would send in a small stack and by the luck of the dice roll would kill of 2 or 3 of my preats. This is on Noble. Monarch would be killer.

So, I think I'm going to pass on this game...

Some initial thoughts, not having tried any test maps:
  1. Since this is vanilla, we know we're somewhere in the southern half. So if you're worried about getting your capital attacked, settle on a hill (d'oh), but you also might want to settle SW to put that river between you and at least the Northern hemisphere if not more.
  2. That said, I think I'll probably settle in place so I can use the flood plains from the start. Powerful starting tile with 4 commodity units rather than the usual three. At pop2 work the lake for faster :science:. Research BW. Build a settler after maxing out my growth, build warriors first. (Not sure if this builds warriors too slowly, though, have to test it.)
  3. Contrary to the normal start for pangea, the warrior might want to only scout the nearby vicinity for resource tile exposure and not venture too far astray, thus postponing war somewhat. Go S first and hope we're in the deep south. In particular, go SE and explore along that river, because if copper or iron appears along it EDIT: no iron, copper on riversides (d'oh), you won't need a worker to connect it, just a settler on the tile.
  4. If we have no one S of us, we settle in that direction (also in contrast to usual pangea strategies), away from the AIs. That handles our fog-busting and perhaps delays early turf wars. Let the AIs come to you with their settlements. That way they tell you who your first target is.
  5. Our admins know how hard this game will be. They almost surely designed in some safety features to help us survive the early game. We're probably deep in some corner of the map, pretty far from the first AI or maybe Mansa is the closest AI. Copper or iron will be along side it (EDIT: no iron, copper on riversides)...in the first or second culture expansion... Something like that.
Of course, after a test run, I might change all of this... ;)
Excuse my ignorance but I'm a newbie & terrible at this game. I only play when I want to be humiliated & this looks like a killer scenerio so ...

Why is it assumed that the starting position will be in the southwest (or at least in the south)? If the CREATOR of the map wanted to give us a fighting chance then why not have us in a NE position?

the reason is because in vanilla, when you have resource bubbles turned on, the arrows point toward the equator. Thus, since all the arrows are pointing north, we must be in the southern hemisphere.

I'm not sure why you think that a NE position would be better than a southern one though...I just hope we are not smack in the middle of a few rivals, as that will give us much larger areas to defend.

What starting techpaths are people going with? Hunting -> AH or Bw -> IW? if you go hunting AH is archery better than going straight to BW cause of barb def? Arent archers kinda weak? Tried in the testgame a bit and Hunting AH with worker first gives you start of turn 25 start pasturing the cows / pigs depending on if you settle on the plains hill or not which lead me to belive settling on the plains hill is better if you go this techpath? How early can i expect trouble from barbs / opponents? will i need units beside warriors before getting my second city out?

Would going Hunting -> Ah -> BW be way to slow and mean i just get eaten up by barbarians?

First off, it’s kinda weird that I haven’t played any Civ or dropped in on this website since GOTM 1, yet just happened to pay a visit today to see Rome again featured. Since I did pretty well in getting an early domination victory way back when, hell…I might as well try it again.

For my take on this pre-thread, I’ll get right to the crux of it. Praetorians do indeed dominate their era and must be utilized to their fullest. If you can build a sizable praetorian army soon enough, they’ll devour the continent. However, with the rather harsh settings for this GOTM, building said army won’t be as easy as 1-2-3. Even so, what follows will be my step by step attempt at world domination.

Step 1) Settle 3 or 4 solid, not necessarily spectacular, cities that will be able to pump out praetorians once iron is online. Obviously, the main challenge to this mini-empire will be the raving barbs, which leads me to…

2) Chop extra (maybe 6 or 7) warriors to explorer and defend against the raving barbs. Warriors as defenders should suffice for a while, especially if I can get a promotion or two from wandering animals. (Extra warriors also have the added benefit of deterring AI attacks.) I’m speculating that I’ll be able to have at least two axemen (if not praetorians) available by the time archer barbs appear. And a quick side note here: I couldn’t disagree more with those who have said they will forego exploration in order to possibly postpone/avoid war with a distant AI. Information is everything in this game. In my opinion, you can’t hope to compete unless you know exactly where to place a city or how to most easily access a resource (or perhaps more importantly, deny one from your enemies).

Lastly, 3) let the praetorians loose and see what happens. I’m quite rusty at the game, though I’d venture to guess that even a substantial praetorian army won’t be able to conquer the world under the given settings. Even so, if I can eliminate a few civilizations and weaken a few more in the early going, then I like my chances.

Hrm, for some reason, I can't get it to load... I'm completely updated, but it keeps telling me that "the save file you have selected is protected to ensure that assets in your mod folder have not been changed"... any clue as to what may be the problem?

I have the same problem... Can anyone shed some light on this?

Do you have CivScale? If so, make sure it's configured for default scaling, otherwise it will cause this problem.

Have you modified your main Civ4\Assets\ folder in any way?

Are you running the Gold version, or the version from Steam? Either of these cause problems because the start file expects to run with the standard, original Firaxis software.

Do you have CivScale? If so, make sure it's configured for default scaling, otherwise it will cause this problem.

Have you modified your main Civ4\Assets\ folder in any way?

Are you running the Gold version, or the version from Steam? Either of these cause problems because the start file expects to run with the standard, original Firaxis software.

No, no, and yes I am running the original software, with the original CD. But I just discovered I am behind in patches. I'll try installing the 1.74 patch

I didn't think of that possibility, but 1.61 would certainly give problems :)

I was seriously considering skipping this game, until I noticed the insane # of posts in the spoiler threads. The fact I'm currently out from the Warlords gaming due to technical issues with my CD also helped. I then re-read this thread and I'm about to d/l the save.
See you in the spoilers soon!

And a quick side note here: I couldn’t disagree more with those who have said they will forego exploration in order to possibly postpone/avoid war with a distant AI. Information is everything in this game. In my opinion, you can’t hope to compete unless you know exactly where to place a city or how to most easily access a resource

Agree with this. In WOTM11 with AW, the 'hub' map meant that exploration down the central spoke was counter-productive because there was no real need to settle there, and it disproprotionately increased your chances of meeting AI.

Here though, with pangea, it's reversed - losing knowledge about nearby resources (esp. iron) and early targets (e.g. who has metals and where?) is likely to be disproptionately risky, and you are likely to meet those AI scouts / archers anyway...

Looking forward to starting this one. Likely to focus on a few early warriors for exploration until we find the iron, and tech to IW via Archery first for defence...

Agree with this. In WOTM11 with AW, the 'hub' map meant that exploration down the central spoke was counter-productive because there was no real need to settle there, and it disproprotionately increased your chances of meeting AI.
IIRC, the nearest land-accessable iron was down at the hub in WOTM 11. Did you go get iron by sea?

But I agree, early exploration just meant early war and early AI MMS diplo points in that game. But I had to settle an iron city at the hub eventually.

dV

IIRC, the nearest land-accessable iron was down at the hub in WOTM 11. Did you go get iron by sea?

But I agree, early exploration just meant early war and early AI MMS diplo points in that game. But I had to settle an iron city at the hub eventually.

dV

I didn't bother with iron. Copper / axes and horse / cossacks were enough for defence (in my quest for not-as-it-turns-out particularly fast cultural victory).. :D

I don't think the iron was that far down though - as long as the AI didn't touch your cultural borders in its way through the hub, it didn't matter; the AI would still need to pick your spoke for exploration (1 in 6 chance) in order to meet you.

Anyway, I must be the only person with a vanilla desk left not yet to have started GOTM22. I'm guessing another incomplete submission from me again this month! The test games were fun though... :D

Top Bottom