NFL Off Season 2017

He's very wise, slow, needs plenty of shielding, and does more with less. I'd say Protoss would make a good fit for him.

Simms isn't great by any means, but I wouldn't have argued against him being the best that CBS had.

I don't dispute that. Hence the bar being set so low. The other factor in this that has nothing to do with competence or
experience is that the producers seem to force the announcers down a very narrow channel w.r.t. what they should say
and how they should say it. Given that:

Replacing him with someone with zero actual experience seems like a pretty wild leap.

means less since Romo is just going to be programmed what to say anyway.

I don't dispute that. Hence the bar being set so low. The other factor in this that has nothing to do with competence or
experience is that the producers seem to force the announcers down a very narrow channel w.r.t. what they should say
and how they should say it. Given that:
means less since Romo is just going to be programmed what to say anyway.

No matter how restrictive the producers are with regards to what is said, they are still putting a totally untested individual into a job where there is an imperative to always say something. While I think that a radio station manager might be convinced that "well, anyone can be trained to be a DJ" I also think that handing the job to someone who is untested is risking the possibility of "dead air," which is why new DJs break in on the 3AM to 5AM fill slot when no one is listening anyway. I think CBS putting Tony Romo on the game they expect to be the biggest draw of their weekend is doing the exact opposite.

That kind of work doesn't require near as much time/energy as a full time role on a TV show, and it probably pays just as much.
More I'd think.

Especially since at least in the "better ingredients, better pizza" case he is the owner/franchisee for some unspecified but undoubtedly large area. He not only gets direct fees as spokesman in advertising, his own business benefits from any positive effects that advertising has.

He will have to do something to maintain his presence though. "Retired football player" isn't really going to keep up his grip on the advertising industry, even if it is "retired GREAT football player."

Why are you so sure? Shaq has been doing commercials for long after he retired. Ditto for Joe Montana and tons of others.

I don't mind calling BS on my team when they did BS. This is disgusting.

edit: Side note, the comments section is unbelievable.

"Football players, take responsibility for your own life decisions for goodness sake. Like adults; like the rest of us."

"Anyway, these are grown men and if they are ignorant of what pain means, why you get it, and what taking pain medication does, then I don't feel too sorry for them. It's not like someone held them down and injected them and wheeled them back out on the field. This was in 2005, not in 1958."

Jesus Christ. Mind boggling.

Why are you so sure? Shaq has been doing commercials for long after he retired. Ditto for Joe Montana and tons of others.

I never said that Manning won't be doing commercials, I said that he couldn't maintain the grip that he has had. Do you think that Montana gets paid as much for commercials as Manning did last year? Do you think that Shaq makes as much as LeBron?

As to the current state of lawsuits by players...

The thing that gets me is that the NFL is basically trying to deny now what was once laughably common knowledge. Every depiction of an NFL locker room in the 1980s included pain killers flowing around like jelly beans. Despite the somewhat contradiction involved the fact that players basically ran on pain killer fuel this was part of the "toughness mystique" of the NFL, and the league itself was perfectly happy to present that image. I don't really see how they can now try to deny that it went on.

Wasn't North Dallas Forty the book that really brought that out?

Wasn't North Dallas Forty the book that really brought that out?

I'd say more like mainstreamed it. North Dallas Forty had a pretty broad appeal as a novel and was read by lots of people who weren't sports fans. I think most sports fans ended up with their friends who read the book saying "do you think it's really like that?" and saying "yeah, everybody pretty much knows it's really like that." And again, the NFL never even considered trying to deny that it was like that at the time.

So can anyone explain to me why the Raiders are so fascinated with Lynch? Not only
has he been out of football for a year, but he's at the age when RBs drastically decline.
Not to mention that (IIRC) serviceable RBs are to be had in this draft.

He owes the Seahawks money which they forgave him into not paying back. I'm definitely holding a grudge.

So can anyone explain to me why the Raiders are so fascinated with Lynch? Not only
has he been out of football for a year, but he's at the age when RBs drastically decline.
Not to mention that (IIRC) serviceable RBs are to be had in this draft.

Local hero effect is part of it. As a lame duck team on their way out of town selling tickets will be more challenging than usual.

The other part is that they will undoubtedly draft a RB, and having a salty vet like Lynch to show them what toughness in the NFL looks like will be a good thing.

CFC pals, I'm so sad that the Browns won't foolishly pick someone else and let the 49ers get Myles Garrett. Does anyone have any words of hope or comfort to soothe my heavy heart?

They are the Browns. With them, there is always hope for a monumental screw up. They may decide to use the number one pick in the draft on a cheerleader.

They are the Browns. With them, there is always hope for a monumental screw up. They may decide to use the number one pick in the draft on a cheerleader.

Only if her WAR and OPS were up to snuff.

With the impossibility/improbability of getting Myles Garrett setting in, I am starting to like the idea of the 49ers dangling that 2nd pick, along with the slimmest chance to get Garrett it contains to some teams to try and pick up more picks to build depth. The 49ers need improvement at every position so maybe going wide instead of tall is what the doctor ordered. Maybe they should trade away their 1st and 2nd round picks to get multiple picks in the lower rounds?

Top Bottom