NFL Off Season 2017

Not really. A mid-round 2nd round pick is worth a little over 10 million. It's an overpay, sure, but again, this money costs Cleveland basically nothing, since they need to spend money anyways. The earliest Cleveland will be good is the last year of his contract, if they can't move him, so it's not a big deal.

Fair enough, then. There's also the reality that no matter what Osweiler does, he couldn't possibly play any worse. Lmao

Seahawks signed Eddie Lacy. Sounds like they're listening to me. :mischief:

My chief complaint with the Browns trade is that they shouldn't have had to send a lower round pick back. Was that seriously a deal-breaker for Houston? "Yeah taking one of the worst FA contracts in history off our hands isn't worth a 2nd rounder, so unless you give us a 4th rounder we'll keep the guy who can't play, is a pariah in the locker room and we want desperately gone".

Yeah I mean, in fairness, they have no other current options, really. They're completely devoid of talent. Hinkie was stockpiling picks and tanking year after year to get a superstar, because he was aiming for championships, not playoffs, and being a mediocre 7 seed year in and year out sucks. Given the toss-up that the NFL playoffs are, it'd be a lot easier to aim for 10-6 and hope for the best. That's not really an option in the NBA. I mean it is. But it leaves you a mediocre team.

Yeah I don't disagree, their roster was basically a dumpster fire so they kinda needed to purge things. That's the easy part, though.They just went 1-15 and may well threaten 0-16 again. How many years before we get to start saying "dude you have got to start putting up results"? You can be rewarded for your patience like the Raiders or you can have years completely flushed down the toilet like the Jaguars in the Gus Bradley era.

If my understanding is correct (that Osweiler's contract ends after this year) he will be out of a job. Normally I'd say he's headed to McDonald's, but he's already made so much money (for nothing, chicks for free) that he could basically retire and never have to work again. :lol:

I would say "well there's always the Browns" but he's already on the Browns! :lol:

EDIT: Funny anecdote... when the Osweiler trade happened I found out b/c a guy at work came up to me and said "OMG somebody traded for Osweiler! Can you believe it?!? I'll give you one guess who it is!"

Without even thinking I said "the Browns". He started laughing hysterically and I said "Is it the Browns really? Of course it is! Who else could it be?" He agreed.:lol:

Last edited:
I don't think people were expecting anyone to actually trade for Romo, because there's zero chance the Cowboys are going to keep him. Why take on that huge cap hit + give up a pick when can get him for WAY less as a free agent?

This is something I didn't consider, thanks. As I said before, Romo would be fine as long as you get him for cheap.
Also, the Bengals met with barely apologetic woman-puncher Joe Mixon because of course that franchise did. Gotta get him with a good mentor like Pacman Jones(while he's not in prison).
I'm not going to defend the Bengals (who I don't give a damn about) or woman beaters, but this is not very fair of you. Every franchise in the NFL has paid woman beaters, rapists, gangsters, murderers, and all kinds of other crap on a regular basis. It usually doesn't get found out about and the teams as well as the league to everything they can to hush up about it. Have you seen the movie Concussion with Will Smith? Basically, everything in the movie is true. There is a crap ton of abuse both by the players and to the players. Perhaps with this knowledge, we should all stop watching the NFL entirely. I don't think we have to go that far- we should be aware of what's going on though. To exclusively pinpoint the problem on one or two teams you don't like is not right.

Hell, it happens well before the NFL level. My mother teaches junior high students only 13 years old, and the football players basically get away with failing her class. They pull all kinds of BS just to ensure they'll still get to play. She also says the teachers are pressured to not get the football players in trouble no matter how bad they behave. These are 13 year olds, they're not even in high school. In high school they'll be treated like kings even more, and by the college level even more, and by the NFL level even more.

Of course woman beating is bad, but if you think the problem is even remotely unique to the Bengals you are delusional.

Even as hard as teams try to sweep things under the rug (and believe me, they try their damnedest), I can't really think of an instance where there's video of a guy punching a woman in the face, not really be apologetic about it, have no real punishment (his college coach admitted this) and then a team just says "sure we'll take him". When there's video or other irrefutable evidence, it's usually the end, e.g. Ray Rice, Josh Brown. Greg Hardy only got a shot because there was no video, he paid off his accuser, and Jerry is old and really doesn't give a crap anymore,

I am being a bit unfair because the Bengals' reputation for getting arrested/having sketchy characters is still a hold over from the mid-late 2000s(the 10 arrests in 2006 was eye-popping). They're actually better than most franchises as of late, but keeping Pacman and Burfict(not a problem off the field, but on it) keeps the stench lingering.

He's a Giants fan, so that makes sense. I work with one and believe me he never misses a chance to mention that they were the ones to beat Brady twice in the Super Bowl.

Although, honestly, if it was my team, I probably wouldn't be able to shut up about it either.

Last edited:
So Tony Romo retires and CBS immediately signs him to their number one broadcast team spot. How does that mush mouth moron go directly to the number one team? Admittedly CBS doesn't have much going on, but still.

And this would be different from Phil Simms how?

I have no clue how good/bad he will be, but the bar is pretty low these days.

So Tony Romo retires and CBS immediately signs him to their number one broadcast team spot. How does that mush mouth moron go directly to the number one team? Admittedly CBS doesn't have much going on, but still.

Because a longstanding QB from 'America's Team' is always the right choice. I'm willing to believe Peyton Manning is overrated, but I can't believe he lost out to this clown.

Because a longstanding QB from 'America's Team' is always the right choice. I'm willing to believe Peyton Manning is overrated, but I can't believe he lost out to this clown.

I didn't know that Peyton Manning was looking at broadcasting. I had him pegged for coaching.

And this would be different from Phil Simms how?

I have no clue how good/bad he will be, but the bar is pretty low these days.

Experience? Simms isn't great by any means, but I wouldn't have argued against him being the best that CBS had. Replacing him with someone with zero actual experience seems like a pretty wild leap.

Fair enough. Yeah, he probably doesn't even want the job. Peyton Manning has so much money he doesn't need to work for the rest of his life, honestly.

That kind of work doesn't require near as much time/energy as a full time role on a TV show, and it probably pays just as much.

Peyton Manning has more time/money on his hands than he possibly knows what to do with. I'd personally recommend Starcraft to him. Given his ability to read the defense and adapt, he would be great.

Top Bottom