NHL 2010 Playoffs

Every single one of my picks lost tonight. I certainly hope this trend doesn't continue :ack:

Indeed. That'S the one pick I want to be wrong about :-D

Here's what I think (picks in bold):

Montreal (8) v Washington (1) in 7 games
Philadelphia (7) v New Jersey (2) in 6 games
Boston (6) v Buffalo (3) in 7 games
Ottawa (5) v Pittsburgh (4) in 6 games

Colorado(8) vs. San Jose (1) in 5 games
Nashville (7) vs. Chicago (2) in 4 games
Los Angeles (6) vs. Vancouver (3) in 6 games
Detroit (5) vs. Phoenix (4) in 6 games

I'm also predicting for the eventual Stanley Cup winner to be Pittsburgh.

Pretty surprising that no team is up 2-0. It's nice to see that the series are even but I don't like that the skilled teams don't get rewarded for the game they play. Maybe the salary-cap contributes to this - mucking up with four fairly good defensive lines is better than a few stars that tries to play creatively.

Another aspect is that no team looks particularly good right now. I'd love to see "Scum"
take on Chicago in a Western final, but at the moment, both Nashville and Phoenix look equally good.

Thought I'd relay a nice story. Brent Seabrook lives a block away from my girlfriend's house so a few of the kids on the block went down the street to see if he was interested in playing some street hockey with them yesterday (I wore them out with my forechecking!!). They also gave him a note that said "we're not shaving our playoff beards until you're hoisting the cup" (I suggested they tell him they'll keep developing their playoff mullet like Patrick "Joe Dirt" Kane. He can't get any beard going so is going mullet instead!) He answered the door and said he'd love to play a little when he gets time and signed a few autographs. Very cool.

On a sidenote: One of the kids is in a wheel chair and goes to all the games. When the Caps were in town he got Alex Ovechkin to sign his Blackhawks jersey. Apparently, Ovechkin thought that was pretty humorous. :)

Indeed. (Also, did anybody tells the refs that the way to ref a hockey game is not to watch one team for half the game while letting the other get away with whatever, then switch game midway through? The Caps couldn't get away with anything in the first 30 minutes, then could get away with using Halak for a bed afterward, and the other way around for the Habs).

Whomp - we had a similar story here a few years ago, back when Tom Kostopoulos was still in Montreal. He went to play, and insisted that the kids stop calling him "Mr. Kostopoulos" and call him Tom, too.

So much hockey...my PVR is getting a good workout. At least it got a break between the Olympics and playoffs.

My trip to the Vancouver playoff opener was fun. I got stopped & interviewed Granville St just because I was wearing a Canucks jersey. :lol:

Anyway, I thought I'd share a few photos from the game. I've got a ton more, but there are just the first few I uploaded. Click on the images to see larger versions.

Towels:

(See the railing at the bottom of the photo? For all my later images, I attached my camera + gorillapod to that railing so I could get longer exposures for blurred towel motion.)

As the players lined up for the anthems:

At the end of the Canadian anthem:

After the game-winning goal:

Question for today! What's more demoralizing than losing in overtime after a no-game goal (0-0 after 60 minutes)?

Losing in overtime in a game where the only goal of the entire game was an own goal, of course!

Congratulations to Dan Boyle. We hope the tar and feather won't sting too much!

What a crazy end to that game last night!

The next game will be interesting for Boyle - I expect he'll either be a wreck (guilt, loss of confidence) or an absolute beast (to try to make up for it).

Man, montreal could have been 2-0 up.. When I realized that they were leading 4-1, I called my cable provider and for a HALF AN HOUR we figured out the best way for me to catch the game.. sigh.. in the end I ended up upgrading my cable package ($15 more a month, tons of new hd channels), and.. montreal lost .. CRAP

I haven't watched any regular season games (after I watch soccer each week, I have no sports energy left for anything else), but now I'm all into the playoffs.. Tonight's games shoudl be good :)

San Jose is really starting to tick me off. I mean, come on! Passing a puck into your own goal?!? In overtime?!?

The Canucks finally killed a penalty! In fact, they killed TWO penalties!

(it's terrible that that's something to be celebrated)

And the twins finally woke up in the third period tonight. There were a number of small momentum shifts throughout the game, but on the whole, it felt like the series momentum shifted in favor of Vancouver. (or maybe that's just wishful thinking ;))

Montreal medias are a little angry at Ovechkin now.

Not over his scoring goals (well...officially not about that), but about his going out of his way to break so as spray one of the two kids holding Canadiens flags during the pre-game presentation of the players with ice.

Looked a bit classless of him, I have to say.

I have serious concerns about the hawks. Nashville seems to be getting them to play their game. No long passes , no capability to use our speed, Q messing with the pairings, big names are MIA, out hustled, no one in front of the net (the Buff to D move is a disaster) and on and on.

I have a bad feeling about tonight.

Top Bottom