1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NiGHTS: Bug Reports

Discussion in 'Civilization NiGHTS' started by markusbeutel, Aug 26, 2011.

1. ilshur

ilshur Warlord

I cleared those two folders and just made my way through a quickmarch game of just NiGHts, so i would imagine it was probably the cache, though i cant say im willing to play a more involved game (marathon) with nacsm. RED has never caused issues. I have a top-notch system and cannot believe a traditional overload crash could occur, although in the past on larger games at marathon speed do take minutes to process turns after the medieval era, but it never crashes on vanilla and only rarely crashed in the past with NiGHTS, which is why i spoke up about it. The cache thing is good, but i think there might be some kind of bug with NACSM on how the AI CS's process their turns or something

2. ekolis

ekolis Chieftain

After replacing a mine built on an iron resource with a manufactory, I got a hint to build a mine there... :rolleyes:

Also, it seems like the manufactory tooltip includes some text left over from the academy, at least when it's the recommended building!

3. ilshur

ilshur Warlord

i hate to sound like a broken record, but it happened again. On my latest successful game (on marathon), the first one since a quick one i tried a day or two ago, i made it to turn 350, the early renaissance, and it crashed. On subsequent reloads of previous saves, it kept crashing on 350. I didn't have to wearwithall to try reloading past earlier than turn 330 because the turns just take so blasted long, but i didnt think it'd have a real change. Something happens on turn 350 that forces a CTD

With this clearing of the cache and moduserdata, do i have to do that basically before every launch of the game?

Also, in my proding about, i found "crash reports" of every crash i have ever experienced. needless to say, the list is quite long, but i dont have whatever platform (ionshell something something) required to actually view them. I'd be happy to upload or send them to someone if it might help in troubleshooting the issue.

4. ilshur

ilshur Warlord

is it possible i have a driver out of date or something? all of the crash reports seem to include dx11 in their title, but i have no idea what the contents of the report are because i do not have software to read them, and the suggested software download was flagged for malware...

im a little frustrated. this mod has been my favorite of the civ5 series, and i am contemplating completely reformatting my system to be sure it isnt something peripheral to the system and not directly civ5 related that is causing these crashes.

5. ilshur

ilshur Warlord

just to be clear: what is the prescribed frequency with which one should delete the cache and moduserdata?

6. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Pretty much whenever you install/enable any new mods. They each leave traces behind that can cause conflicts if these 2 folders aren't continually cleared of their contents. It's also possible for mods not to fully install properly, in this case they won't turn into a folder in your MODS folder, and instead will still have a .civ5mod extension - these also need to be continually deleted.

7. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Working on an update I hope to release sometime this weekend that addresses pretty much all of the bugs brought up in the past few months - so don't be surprised if Nights starts downloading a new version from Steam in the next few days. :)

8. ilshur

ilshur Warlord

So just to be clear:

Before playing, you delete the following folders: "Mygames/Civ5/cache, mygames/civ5/moduserdata, mygames/civ5/mods/*anything that is a .civ5mod file?

Deleteing the subfolders within mods would only make them get redownloaded, but that'd be unnecesary?

I just want a comprehensive checklist to follow these steps, because i have only had 1 game out of the last 4 or 5 that have gotten through the classical era. The crash occurs during the AI taking their turns. Occasionally i can even tell which AI's turn it was, because of the order of announcements before it freezes and the windows notice that "this application has failed" pops up.

But now that you mention it, and I've started thinking about it, most of these issues have arisen since the workshop conversion of civ5, which also coincided with my interest in the ww2 R.E.D. mod as well.

9. Balerune

Balerune Prince

Salt mines still can't be upgradged to manufactory.

10. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Delete the cache folder, delete just the contents of the ModUserFolder (as I'm not sure if it rebuilds itself like the cache folder everytime you start a new game). And yes, anything that is a .civ5mod file AFTER you're already played a game, as you have to start and play a mod first which turns these .civ5mod files into their respective mod folders within the greater MODS folder. If files remain as .civ5mod files, that means they are corrupt for some reason or another, because the transition to becoming a folder should be automatic upon starting up a game with the respective mod(s).

Also, it may be that your computer specs are just too low, which also results in crashes. I've had users report success in this situation by lowering the number MaxSimultaneousThreads = X in the config file. Just lower the "X" amount in minute increments until you start seeing a difference.

There's always something I miss. :crazyeye: Thanks for point this out Balerune. I'll make sure this gets fixed in the next update, (which will probably tackle traits), as I'd like to get rid of a few that are currently doubled up between various Civs. (I'll most likely just give all Civ's some trait adjustments once I get started though). :lol:

11. Balerune

Balerune Prince

The bug where when you open a captured city's screen before you annex it freezes all city's screens is back (unless you exit the game and reload.)

Thanks for the riflemen promote to infantry bug fixed. :)

12. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Hmm - I'm not sure I ever fixed this if its happening again...

13. Balerune

Balerune Prince

This is a small thing -- on the policy screen when I have it set to "show all" before you changed over to unnamed policies the policies that were active were highlighted and the others were greyed out (but I could still mouse over them to see the requirements,) but now they are highlighted and greyed out randomly.

:)

14. Mindovg

Mindovg Chieftain

not sure if already reported (and the search here is disgusting), but:
    gods and kings, improved cattle tile should be further improved by stables with +1 production, but instead this building reverts the tile back to 3 food yield

15. Mindovg

Mindovg Chieftain

you can build circus in a city near the ivory tile even when it's not improved by camp

the circus built in such way converts camp improved ivory tile yield to bare 3 production points instead of actually adding bonus to 1-1-4 from camp

16. reddir

reddir Chieftain

I'm just trying a few games with this mod, so haven't gotten very far into it.

I noticed that with a granary, my city is saving closer to 11% of food (rather than 30%). Are there other factors which affect this?

[edit, for details]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just starting out, a pop 1 city going to pop 2. Producing +4 food/turn. Current food at 44/45.

Next turn, pop 2, producing +4 food/turn, current food at 7/72. (Without granary, current food at 2/72).

17. InaneDugong

InaneDugong Chieftain

Policy Screen
    http://puu.sh/1h5Y5
    So, is this Policy screen correct? The screen shot of the Policy screen in the Nights General Discussion thread shows a 3-options sub-policy per Policy tier system, where-as this is 2-option sub-policy (in this screenshot).

Great Engineer/Artist
    http://puu.sh/1h629
    Here, it would seem I can't build on Tiles. Is there a way, that I'm unaware of, in which you can work a Great Artist/Engineer besides their special abilitiy (Golden Age/not even sure with Great Engineer)?

I get the feeling that my Civ Nights is bugged, to be honest. I'm running:
    -Nights V5
    -G&K through steam
    -No DLC
    -I followed these instructions:
    Is there anything else I'm meant to do, these days?

Thank you for your help.

Edit:
    Do you guys have an mIRC channel or some community chat client?

18. Mindovg

Mindovg Chieftain

going on with small g&k issues:

building wonders, which AI civs coveted, seems to benefit your relationships as it's highlighted green in the diplomacy overview section

armories actually reduce the overall production. I'm not sure if its just the UI bug, but whenever i build or purchase an armory in a city, the numbers go down >_<

immortal difficulty: AI is extremely eager to surrender; apart from a fleet of 10 ships I don't maintain any army whatsoever, and still the civilizations I've been at war with and who weren't threatened by my military threw me all their current gold, income and luxuries. Can anyone with more games played in nights confirm if AI tend to surrender more often, than in unmodded civ?

yes it is, the screenshot you've seen is probably from the mod for vanilla civ5

it certainly is bugged, but not at that horrible scale you suspect

19. InaneDugong

InaneDugong Chieftain

So, are great engineers and artists meant to be able to build/improve on tiles? I can't seem to find any use for great engineers.

Also: any community chat client?

20. Balerune

Balerune Prince

Great Engineers atm can rush production. Great Artists atm can start golden ages.