NiGHTS: General Discussion

I dont know if this is suppose to happen or not but every time I research Ag or Pottery I always have to research them twice. I always end up way behind in tech because of this. Am I doing something wrong or how do I fix this? Thanks!

I dont know if this is suppose to happen or not but every time I research Ag or Pottery I always have to research them twice. I always end up way behind in tech because of this. Am I doing something wrong or how do I fix this? Thanks!

This happens when you have more than one version of the mod installed. Make sure you delete older versions of CivNights and then this problem goes away. :)

It is not just an issue of more than one mod. When I look at the game via Lua, it looks like that there are duplicates of almost every single tech that came with vanilla, as your mod does not delete the existing versions when you create your copies. I would suggest deleting them simply for performance reasons.

Version 11.2 - Released to http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=16650 - Will also be uploaded to the ModBrowser over the next few days.

IMPORTANT: DOWNLOAD/INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS!
Note that the following locations could differ depending on where you've installed CIV V.
1. Download and copy file into C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS
2. Delete your cache folder in C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache
3. Delete the contents of the ModUserData folder in C:\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModUserData
4. Verify your cache and defrag your CIV V files through Steam (right click, properties, local files, verify integrity.
5. Make sure your game is up to date with the December 2011 patch!
6. Load CIV V and click Install button in the ModBrowser.

These are some of the more noticeable changes in v11.2 as I haven't listed all of them. The first 3-4 social policies in each branch have been tweaked quite a bit, and overall there should tougher choices to be made than in v11.1. Also, goody huts now all have 2 bonuses (as long as you don't get barbs). Not sure if everyone knows this, but if you get a goody hut with a Scout, you're guaranteed to not get barbarians.

Building Changes
  • Circus now gives a production bonus for ivory/horses instead of a trade route bonus
  • Palace starts off giving +5 gold instead of +2
  • Added Apostolic Palace that gives a free version of each of the Knight varient units
  • Grand Canal renamed Drydock, doubles the Lighthouse bonus and grants a free policy (limit 3 per empire)
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed Mint text formatting error
  • Fixed bug where the science icon wasn't appearing in the top bar
  • Fixed bug were building a Well was requiring Combustion and not the listed Industrialism
  • Fixed bug where Drama was requiring Engineering outright instead of Engineering OR Theocracy
  • Fixed bug where Trade Monopolies policy wasn't giving it's bonus
  • Fixed Smokehouse/Medical Lab tooltips regarding Granaries
Art Changes
  • New Krepost icon
  • New Monument icon
  • New Divine Right icon
  • New Stele icon
  • New ballistics icon
  • New Scientific Theory icon
  • New National Theatre icon
  • New Library icon
  • New Mausoleum icon
Unit Changes
  • Lancer and Sipahi upgrade to Cavalry and not the vanilla anti-tank gun
  • Holy Knight renamed Templar Knight
  • Added Teutonic Knight which requires a Stronghold to be built
  • Added Hospitallers Knight which requires an Inn to be built
Policy Changes
  • Manorialism now gives +25% worker speed and +1 free Worker
  • Caste System now gives +1 Happiness for every 10 citizens in a city
  • Nationalism lets new cities start with 3 population instead of 2
  • Legalism grants +200% production towards National Wonders instead of +100%
  • Crop Rotation now gives +1 extra Happiness per luxury resource instead of a food bonus
  • Naval Production renamed Hegemony, and gives a +20% production boost to all buildings/wonders in the Classical Era.
General Changes
  • All goody huts now offer multiple bonuses (as long as you don't get the barbarians)
  • City States now cost the vanilla CIV V amount to be friends/allies
  • Tweaked UI of promotions so that they match the format of policies
  • Education doesn't give a free tech, Engineering and Astronomy both do instead
  • Each Citizen in a captured city grants +100 gold instead of +10
  • Denouncing now a (-4) penalty instead of (-5)
  • First person to find each Natural Wonder gets +100 gold, (same as for City-States)
  • Barbarian recruits now have a promotion labeling them as such
  • Barbarian recruits now have a -30% attack penalty when outside of your territory
  • All Natural Wonders will appear on every map type regardless of size (except for the Fountain of Youth)
  • Peace Treaties last for 25 turns instead of 10

Diplomacy Changes
  • The AI will appear more rational in this update than in any of the other updates
  • Will sue for peace much quicker than in vanilla
  • Will favor armistices over ridiculous peace treaties
  • The AI's definition of "close" borders has been increased (unless you build right next to their capital, you're now MUCH less likely to get a negative modifier for settling next to an AI - but they'll probably still disapprove of the pace of your expansion for a (-1) penalty).
  • Once in a Declaration of Friendship, the AI will have a much higher likelihood of accepting a Defensive Pact.
  • If you get an AI to an overwhelming "Friendly" status, there's a very good chance they'll heed your warning not to settle near them, even if you have a pathetic military presence (but you'll still get a minor (-2) diplo penalty).
  • The AI will more aggressively pursue City-States.
  • AI City-States neighboring any active conflicts will more aggressively join the battle for whomever they're allied with.

The diplomacy changes in this update continue to make the AI feel less sporadic/random. Long lasting relationships are far more likely to take shape, and you should start to feel more like an active participant in the world's affairs - as opposed to a scapegoat / punching bag. Having said that, settling next to an AI's capital or boxing them in at the start of a game will increase their likelihood of attacking you, so be careful on these fronts. And none of this applies to Montezuma. He's still insane.

Just some quick notes on 11.1 after two epic games (Rome, Russia).

Overall: A very elaborate new version which is a joy to play.

The ancient/classic era is almost perfect in my eyes. Very well balanced, offers more military options and a greater time frame to apply them.
Balance issues turn up at the beginning of dark ages. Mainly due to too high production bonuses in several (often military - e.g. armory) buildings. While I prefer this over some pointless promotions I never really wanted to spend my resources on ( never invested in arsenals and so forth...), I think the overall production output has to go down.
The dynamic of the game speeds up significantly at around this time and ends up in a whirlwind of new tech -> unit upgrade -> wonder building -> trying to keep up building new important buildings -> new tech...
Result: UN completed in 1810

I think the whole game would benefit from a more paced approach.

This is my firs impression.
Good job as always, Markus. :thanx:

Just some quick notes on 11.1 after two epic games (Rome, Russia).

Overall: A very elaborate new version which is a joy to play.

The ancient/classic era is almost perfect in my eyes. Very well balanced, offers more military options and a greater time frame to apply them.
Balance issues turn up at the beginning of dark ages. Mainly due to too high production bonuses in several (often military - e.g. armory) buildings. While I prefer this over some pointless promotions I never really wanted to spend my resources on ( never invested in arsenals and so forth...), I think the overall production output has to go down.
The dynamic of the game speeds up significantly at around this time and ends up in a whirlwind of new tech -> unit upgrade -> wonder building -> trying to keep up building new important buildings -> new tech...
Result: UN completed in 1810

I think the whole game would benefit from a more paced approach.

This is my firs impression.
Good job as always, Markus. :thanx:

Thanks for the feedback Chile. :) I've addressed some of your concerns in v11.2, as gold won't be quite as plentiful early on, and production goes down a little bit around when you noted as well. Seeing as people generally find games to bog down in the later eras, the quickened pace is kind of what I'm going for there - but it has been scaled back a little bit in v11.2. I also test out my games on standard, so that's where you'll find the best overall balance. I'll try an epic game this week and see how it correlates.

Also, some old text was accidentally included on the victory progress screen. I've re-uploaded a new version of 11.2 that gets rid of this - so just disregard it. :crazyeye:

Possibly - previous versions of the mod had random events, but I had to really tone down all of the negative ones as people just didn't like them, and the end result was again mostly positive events...

What's really needed in that case is event series that poor player choices have negative consequences. Accept a bribe to turn a trade center into an unregulated market and have corruption spread, or something to that effect. A bit of narrative, which is one of the places this game would benefit from.

Hi markusbeutel! I just want to say thanks a bunch for all your hard work! You've made Civ 5 make SENSE to me! Now I've downloaded and installed the new patch but the issue is that there's a few bugs I didn't experience in the prior patches. The mini tech tree on the left side of the UI shows all the early tech choices twice and when I finish researching early tech the full tech tree doesn't register that I'd already researched fishing and others. I don't know if its a problem on my end. Am I still supposed to be able to select the prior version 11.1 from the mod selection screen after installing the new 11.2 ver? Could there be a conflict of some kind?

What's really needed in that case is event series that poor player choices have negative consequences. Accept a bribe to turn a trade center into an unregulated market and have corruption spread, or something to that effect. A bit of narrative, which is one of the places this game would benefit from.

That would be interesting - kind of like the system in the galactic civilization series. I do find that with this last update, diplomacy is a lot more intuitive, which does help with the whole roleplaying / narrative aspect of the game.

Hi markusbeutel! I just want to say thanks a bunch for all your hard work! You've made Civ 5 make SENSE to me! Now I've downloaded and installed the new patch but the issue is that there's a few bugs I didn't experience in the prior patches. The mini tech tree on the left side of the UI shows all the early tech choices twice and when I finish researching early tech the full tech tree doesn't register that I'd already researched fishing and others. I don't know if its a problem on my end. Am I still supposed to be able to select the prior version 11.1 from the mod selection screen after installing the new 11.2 ver? Could there be a conflict of some kind?

You're welcome. :) As for the double-tech bug, make sure to delete v11.1 and any older versions of the mod and the problem will be solved, as just installing a new version doesn't get rid of the old one automatically. (This goes for all mods pretty much).

Hello everyone.
I've downloaded the Civilization Nights Mod, and I was wondering if there is any chance to modify the resolution in the .XML files that build up the mod, to made the policy tree and the tech-tree smaller (this is because my personal computer is limited in resolution to 1280 x 800 pixels, and no scroll bar is visible in the lower part of the screen...)

Thanks for all the answers.
WilhelmNabla

Hello everyone.
I've downloaded the Civilization Nights Mod, and I was wondering if there is any chance to modify the resolution in the .XML files that build up the mod, to made the policy tree and the tech-tree smaller (this is because my personal computer is limited in resolution to 1280 x 800 pixels, and no scroll bar is visible in the lower part of the screen...)

Thanks for all the answers.
WilhelmNabla

Unfortunately this isn't possible at the moment, although you should be able to use a scroll wheel for the tech tree at least. Eventually I will release a version that works properly on lower resolutions, but there's no eta for that right now.

Hello, can you traduce it at the spanish language? Thanks

So I sat down to play Civ 5 with the mod, thinking I'd waste away an hour on it and get back to other things....5 hours later I finally was able to pull myself away. That hasn't happened in a very long time with me and Civ, where "one more turn" syndrome has been sadly lacking, until now.

In short, this latest version of Nights feels like the best one yet. Everything about the mod is really starting to click and theres a lot of synergy between all the phases of play. A lot of the glaring flaws of Civ 5 vanilla are totally gone or at least mitigated.

I can really tell the difference already with the AI, they aren't nearly as stupid as usual. Good job Markus :)

Also, I know you said you'd be slowing down with updates , but what will your focus be for the next version?

Thanks.

Markus, have you thought of having a beta version for NIGHTS where the community can test the new changes coming for official versions and be able to give feedback?

Just played 120 turns on Prince, 8 civs, with the newest patch. Loving the diplomacy changes so far! The building maintenance now is really interesting; you can't just build whatever you want or your cash flow won't be able handle it. The tech tree is looking nice too.

Top Bottom