NinNES III IOT Thread

Nintz

King of the Britons
Hey guys. Some of you might remember/recognize me from NES or around the forum in general, though I haven't been active anytime recently. I actually was present on IOT itself for a month or so if you go back far enough. As a lot of you are probably aware, there's been a lot of talk regarding a potential merger between the NES and IOT subforums. Additionally, I've seen of number of IOTers post in favor of such an idea. Therefore, I have decided to post this here as well as in NES. Pretty much I'm starting a new game from scratch, and hope for as many players as possible. If you guys like the idea of a massive fantasy world-building/empire-building/whatever you can think of game, I encourage you to read on.

Before going any farther I wish to establish a few things regarding the nature of this NES. First. I am not a reliable or consistent person when it comes to deadlines, at least with regards to (relatively) unimportant projects, which NESing certainly is. What this means is that while I will attempt to update this NES regularly, there WILL be more than one instance of the game lapsing for weeks at a time or being updated with very sub-par updates. I recognize this and expect all players to as well.

Second. If all goes according to plan, this game will simultaneously be both story-driven AND stat-driven. That is to say that I interpret stories as orders best I can, and will generally be quite generous to those that write stories in updates with regards to randomized events. However, should one choose to never write stories and purely play the game like EU, Civ, or something like that, I intend for it to be fully possible as well. The best players will hopefully do both stories and good ordersets, but of course, not everyone has time for this all the time.

Third. This NES will be of the players, by the players, for the players. As mod I merely seek to interpret your actions on an equal field and to resolve disputes. That is to purpose of this thread. I DON'T know what game mechanics I want to implement, because I don't know what YOU, as the player, wants to see. The lore, while I will write some, it is perfectly acceptable for you guys to write the lore as you want it. You think there should be magic in the game? Make it. You want to play were-unicorns? go for it. You would rather have the ability to create crazy and ingenious experiments for your people to use to their advantage? Be my guest. This game is a living experiment. If there is an action that does not have a game system supporting it effectively, I will make a system for it. All I ask is that you maintain consistency within the established system and lore. Do not try to contradict something already set. Should there be a conflict of interest, I will side with the original unless sufficient evidence can be brought forth for the new system/lore to be objectively better.

Fourth. I am a strong advocate for the NES-IOT merger personally, and as such this is more or less a x-post in IOT. I intend for this to be proof of a successful cross-community game, assuming it gets going. A proof of concept if you will. If you would rather not potentially play with NESers, I advise that you refrain from joining this in the initial turns, or do not join until you are certain that will not be a problem for you. I do not know how many (if any) IOTers will choose to join. To be honest, I do not know how many NESers will try to join either.

Fifth. I reserve all mod power allocated to me by the CFC site rules. If you are being detrimental to the game for other players in any way, you will recieve an official warning from me. If you continue after this warning, you will be kicked. If you wish to appeal this, PM me. I legitimately hope to not ever kick someone.

If all of this is understood, we may begin creating a world for this NES to live within, and perhaps the rules upon which we will play the game itself. My only restriction is that we will be starting at the beginning of a world cycle. We must start somewhere between prehistoric to roughly bronze age in terms of technological advancements, though having more advanced tech that was lost is okay. This does not mean you can say "oh, my engineered super-soldiers that survived the apocalpyse managed to find a cache of guns. pew pew." Previous tech should not be available in significant quantity for the use by the early civilizations. The other thread contains a few random thoughts I had for a fantasy NES lore. It is not necessarily canon, but it perhaps may serve as a starting point on what we do/do not want to do with the lore.

I highly encourage everyone that reads this post to post their thoughts below or in the other thread. If you have any questions/comments/concerns regarding the structure and/or moderation of this NES, feel free to ask me straight out in the thread. I would rather address the questions you might have than simply not having you post at all. Activity = good, even if that activity is criticism.

I would prefer you use the main thread in NES for discussion, as even though I will still respond to and follow this thread, the main game will be hosted in NES (assuming the two forums are still separate by then). Additionally, don't take my use of NES over IOT as an insult or anything. I merely am far more used to NES, and consider myself an NESer. One of the few (non dual-citizens at least) that seems willing to support you guys in a potential merger. Given that I support a merger, I encourage everyone in this community to join the game as well, even the creation and pre-planning stages.

NES Thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=534689

Top Bottom