Resource icon

Nobles' Club Bullpen: Fourth Cycle

I've never done a map before but I could give it a go. Which leader is up next?
Elisabeth is next. You can find the guidelines for how to create the map and the worldbuilder saves here.

Note that when you first create the map you should have difficulty set to Noble and huts and event enabled (no special options checked).

Elisabeth is next. You can find the guidelines for how to create the map and the worldbuilder saves here.

Note that when you first create the map you should have difficulty set to Noble and huts and event enabled (no special options checked).
OK - I'm in process of creating the game, NC 187 Elizabeth. I've used the script file to generate the various difficulties and have checked a few of them - all seems to be good. I'll post the game either later on today or sometime tomorrow.

@hankinsohl , as this thread is the main source for finding old NC games, I'd suggest you make that a hotlink:

NC 187 is up. :)

We are now done with the group of leaders that were last decided. There are 24 leaders left in the cycle and on the last page I posted this suggestion for how to continue to the end:

188-193
Genghis Khan (Agg/Imp)
Mao Zedong (Exp/Pro)
Brennus (Spi/Cha)
Frederick (Phi/Org)
Huayna Capac (Fin/Ind)
Catherine (Cre/Imp)

194-199
Asoka (Org/Spi)
Ragnar (Agg/Fin)
Lincoln (Cha/Phi)
Joao (Imp/Exp)
Gilgamesh (Cre/Pro)
Ramesses II (Spi/Ind)

200-205
Willem (Cre/Fin)
Alexander (Agg/Phi)
Churchill (Cha/Pro)
Augustus Caesar (Imp/Ind)
Mehmed II (Org/Exp)
Montezuma (Agg/Spi)

206-211
Charlemagne (Imp/Pro)
De Gaulle (Cha/Ind)
Peter the Great (Exp/Phi)
Isabella (Exp/Spi)
Kublai Khan (Agg/Cre)
Darius I (Fin/Org)

They are divided into groups of six, each group includes all traits and has one trait repeated twice. The order within the groups can be changed, while still keeping the traits somewhat spread out. We still have two Mongolian and two Russian leaders. They are in the first and last group. We recently played Persia and England, so the remaining Persian and English leaders are also in the later groups. Darius was saved for last, as he is a great grand finale for the cycle. NC 200 is celebrated with Willem, who in my opinion is the most noble friendly leader there is, with his two very strong traits, which both give passive advantage and are very easy to leverage.

If people are fine with this continuation to the series, I could go ahead and make a Genghis map in a week or two. I'm thinking something quite standard:
Spoiler :
Pangaea, rocky climate

My two cents on maps....

I think that maps that offer two or more large continents are under-represented. These maps offer challenges not present in Pangea maps and thus offer a valuable learning experience. I'd like to see these sort of maps more often.

Nobles Club maps in the past often degenerate into some sort of Pangea map with guaranteed UU resource available either in the BFC or else very nearby. The recipe for victory in these maps is to beeline the UU knowing that whatever resource you need is going to be available early on - while this is fun sometimes, I'd like to see more challenging maps where resources for the UU aren't necessarily available nearby and where multiple islands/continents sometimes occur. Winning on the later sort of maps is far more challenging, and for me, is more rewarding and provides a much better learning experience than a "cooked" map with a good UU plus UU-resource available on a single continent so that once you get the UU you're able to crush enough opponents early on to easily guarantee victory.

I think that maps that offer two or more large continents are under-represented. These maps offer challenges not present in Pangea maps and thus offer a valuable learning experience. I'd like to see these sort of maps more often.

Nobles Club maps in the past often degenerate into some sort of Pangea map with guaranteed UU resource available either in the BFC or else very nearby. The recipe for victory in these maps is to beeline the UU knowing that whatever resource you need is going to be available early on - while this is fun sometimes, I'd like to see more challenging maps where resources for the UU aren't necessarily available nearby and where multiple islands/continents sometimes occur.
Sure, more variety is always welcome! Traditionally NC maps have followed the philosophy that the player should be able to use the unique abilities of the leader. This has lead to the requirement for UU resource nearby, and usually if there is an early UU, there's also an early rush target. But you are right that this does not mean that the map needs to be won with the UU alone.

Huayna is up in a few games. His Quechua rush is obviously broken, and he is super strong even without it, so I wouldn't even mind seeing him starting in isolation.

I also agree early UUs should come into play somehow, but the degree to which they can be used can vary. Let's say for example Huayna started in isolation. His Quechua would still be very useful as the best barb defense in the game. And for once you would get to make a bit more use of his other superb qualities. :)

Mao is next. It isn't scheduled, but would probably be welcome any time. Some people have wished for more non-pangaea landmasses in NC. Maybe the next one could be like that? Hemispheres? Or just regular continents?

Well I was definitey thinking of something "non pangaeaish". Will post the map later today then.

Top Bottom