1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobles' Club Bullpen: Fourth Cycle

Nobles' Club Bullpen: Fourth Cycle

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I'm testing the map now - should be up later tonight.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Cyrus is up.

Will try and get the bullpen edited over the weekend.

Imploding likes this.
  3. MeowZeDung

MeowZeDung Prince

Nice! Thank you NobleZarkon!

4. Noble Zarkon

5. hankinsohl

hankinsohl Warlord

I've never done a map before but I could give it a go. Which leader is up next?

6. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Elisabeth is next. You can find the guidelines for how to create the map and the worldbuilder saves here.

Note that when you first create the map you should have difficulty set to Noble and huts and event enabled (no special options checked).

7. hankinsohl

hankinsohl Warlord

OK - I'm in process of creating the game, NC 187 Elizabeth. I've used the script file to generate the various difficulties and have checked a few of them - all seems to be good. I'll post the game either later on today or sometime tomorrow.

8. hankinsohl

hankinsohl Warlord

NC 187 is up. Let me know in the game thread if there's any problems.

9. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

@hankinsohl , as this thread is the main source for finding old NC games, I'd suggest you make that a hotlink:

NC 187 is up. :)

We are now done with the group of leaders that were last decided. There are 24 leaders left in the cycle and on the last page I posted this suggestion for how to continue to the end:

188-193
    Genghis Khan (Agg/Imp)
    Mao Zedong (Exp/Pro)
    Brennus (Spi/Cha)
    Frederick (Phi/Org)
    Huayna Capac (Fin/Ind)
    Catherine (Cre/Imp)

194-199
    Asoka (Org/Spi)
    Ragnar (Agg/Fin)
    Lincoln (Cha/Phi)
    Joao (Imp/Exp)
    Gilgamesh (Cre/Pro)
    Ramesses II (Spi/Ind)

200-205
    Willem (Cre/Fin)
    Alexander (Agg/Phi)
    Churchill (Cha/Pro)
    Augustus Caesar (Imp/Ind)
    Mehmed II (Org/Exp)
    Montezuma (Agg/Spi)

206-211
    Charlemagne (Imp/Pro)
    De Gaulle (Cha/Ind)
    Peter the Great (Exp/Phi)
    Isabella (Exp/Spi)
    Kublai Khan (Agg/Cre)
    Darius I (Fin/Org)

They are divided into groups of six, each group includes all traits and has one trait repeated twice. The order within the groups can be changed, while still keeping the traits somewhat spread out. We still have two Mongolian and two Russian leaders. They are in the first and last group. We recently played Persia and England, so the remaining Persian and English leaders are also in the later groups. Darius was saved for last, as he is a great grand finale for the cycle. NC 200 is celebrated with Willem, who in my opinion is the most noble friendly leader there is, with his two very strong traits, which both give passive advantage and are very easy to leverage.

If people are fine with this continuation to the series, I could go ahead and make a Genghis map in a week or two. I'm thinking something quite standard:
    Spoiler :
    Pangaea, rocky climate

10. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

Highlands?

11. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

I was thinking about that too. In that case small map with 6-7 AI. The map is humogous. There is also Brennus soon that could suit Highlands or Global Highlands.

12. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

It's been 3 weeks since the last game and the weekend is soon upon us. Time to unleash the Mongol hordes.

NC 188 - Genghis is up.

13. hankinsohl

hankinsohl Warlord

Thanks Elitetroops!

I'll be trying your map shortly.

14. hankinsohl

hankinsohl Warlord

My two cents on maps....

I think that maps that offer two or more large continents are under-represented. These maps offer challenges not present in Pangea maps and thus offer a valuable learning experience. I'd like to see these sort of maps more often.

Nobles Club maps in the past often degenerate into some sort of Pangea map with guaranteed UU resource available either in the BFC or else very nearby. The recipe for victory in these maps is to beeline the UU knowing that whatever resource you need is going to be available early on - while this is fun sometimes, I'd like to see more challenging maps where resources for the UU aren't necessarily available nearby and where multiple islands/continents sometimes occur. Winning on the later sort of maps is far more challenging, and for me, is more rewarding and provides a much better learning experience than a "cooked" map with a good UU plus UU-resource available on a single continent so that once you get the UU you're able to crush enough opponents early on to easily guarantee victory.

15. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Sure, more variety is always welcome! Traditionally NC maps have followed the philosophy that the player should be able to use the unique abilities of the leader. This has lead to the requirement for UU resource nearby, and usually if there is an early UU, there's also an early rush target. But you are right that this does not mean that the map needs to be won with the UU alone.

Huayna is up in a few games. His Quechua rush is obviously broken, and he is super strong even without it, so I wouldn't even mind seeing him starting in isolation.

16. Noble Zarkon

I agree re Continents but disagree re UU, part of the Nobles Club is the flavour of playing different civs and part of that is getting to use UUs.

17. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

I also agree early UUs should come into play somehow, but the degree to which they can be used can vary. Let's say for example Huayna started in isolation. His Quechua would still be very useful as the best barb defense in the game. And for once you would get to make a bit more use of his other superb qualities. :)

18. Pedro78

Pedro78 King

Hey all !

When is the next NC game scheduled? I could make the map (I don't know which leader it is though) :)

elementoffear likes this.
  19. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Mao is next. It isn't scheduled, but would probably be welcome any time. Some people have wished for more non-pangaea landmasses in NC. Maybe the next one could be like that? Hemispheres? Or just regular continents?

20. Pedro78

Pedro78 King

Well I was definitey thinking of something "non pangaeaish". Will post the map later today then.