Nobody in city, no wall, still cant take it down

Gowtham

Chieftain
I am trying to capture a city. There is no unit in the city because I nuked it. The 2 bars above the city have disappeared. But the number still says 78 garrisson strength. How is that possible? I am not able to capture the city.

Base defense from their strongest unit built. If it has no hp just ram any melee unit at it and you'll capture it.

I am trying to capture a city. There is no unit in the city because I nuked it. The 2 bars above the city have disappeared. But the number still says 78 garrisson strength. How is that possible? I am not able to capture the city.

You need a Melee Unit of some sort to actually attack the city in order to capture. The Garrison strength doesn't go away, but the city won't hurt your units. Radiation will obliterate the capturing unit however lol.

I lost a melee unit trying to take a defenseless city. Quite upset me. Maybe because it was an amphibious attack? I suspect the rules for amphibious attacks are different. He was pretty wounded, but I figured he could take a city with all defenses brought down.

Was that unit full health? I've definitely lost low health units trying to capture cities.

I lost a melee unit trying to take a defenseless city. Quite upset me. Maybe because it was an amphibious attack? I suspect the rules for amphibious attacks are different. He was pretty wounded, but I figured he could take a city with all defenses brought down.

You can only 'safely' take a city if it's health is reduces to 0. If it has even a little health, then it may survive the attack if you use a weak unit.

Is the naval unit a Privateer? Privateers in V were melee units specifically designed to take cities.

In VI Privateers are ranged units and CANNOT take a city. Their trick ability is you can't see them unless you're in the tile right next to them.

I got caught by that one just recently, trying to take a city with a Privateer.

The best use I've found for Privateers is clearing barb camps at the poles before they can spawn a million units and come looking for me.

The best use I've found for Privateers is clearing barb camps at the poles before they can spawn a million units and come looking for me.

How can a ranged unit 'clear' a barb camp? Sure you can kill the barbs currently in the camp, but the camp isn't cleared until a melee unit steps into it.

Privateers can coastal raid. They can clear camps and capture civilian units.

How can a ranged unit 'clear' a barb camp? Sure you can kill the barbs currently in the camp, but the camp isn't cleared until a melee unit steps into it.

Unlike cities, empty barb camps can be cleared by any unit -- melee, ranged or even civilian.

Unlike cities, empty barb camps can be cleared by any unit -- melee, ranged or even civilian.

Any unit that can physically walk into the camp. A naval unit cannot get up out of the water and walk into the camp.

Any unit that can physically walk into the camp. A naval unit cannot get up out of the water and walk into the camp.

True, except for coastal raiders (privateers, subs) which can clear camps that are on the coast.

Top Bottom