1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

None Shall Pass 2 [Game Thread - Concluded]

Discussion in 'Mafia/NOTW' started by Zack, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Well, wait until you see the Town setup. It really wasn't a very strong town, especially if the Empire/Jedi recruiters had lived past Night 3 (to convert townies into non-townies). I think the biggest design mistake was making you/azza's covers people choxorn wanted to kill, but even that only really hurt because Buddha happened to scan you two super early. I think Morgoth faction had better chances than the Empire, for example.

Although I will agree that the way it played out was disappointing. Probably should have waited to tweak the setup more, even if I don't think the setup was nearly as flawed as the one in None Shall Pass. That one just played out better.

Makes sense, I included it more as an amusing anecdote about* the Empire's demise.

*five words starting with a in a row!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13744449&postcount=1133

2. Backwards Logic

Backwards Logic Emperor Palpatine

:blush: Sorry Zack - I get home, speed read knowing I HAZ QUESTION, don't see it's been answered already, and post. My bad!

3. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

I think games like this are hard to balance. There are so many different ways it can play out, and people's thoughts on balance will mostly result from which of the many possible permutations actually happens. For example, looking back at Stairway to Heaven, there were no criticisms of the balance because of the way the game played out. But if you look at the setup, it's a wonder the mafia didn't get stomped and that the cult didn't go hog wild and dominate, yet the cult was decimated and the mafia won.

I'm not sure if I want to host a None Shall Pass 3, but if I do it will be different. There will be a bunch of different factions (like It's a Long Story), each with shared abilities - for example, a 5-player faction might have a kill and protect ability that they designate two players to use each night (doesn't have to be the same people from night to night, and if there's one person left they can use both actions). Would people be interested in None Shall Pass 3?

4. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

Congratulations and well played to team Vengeance. They needed and got serious luck, but they still had a lot to do, and ended up fully deserving the win.

As for the town... There was some good individual play, but really they just got it handed to them. Verarde was MVP by a huge margin (with BSmith second for the assist).

Looking at their roles, they certainly had some extremely powerful abilities. And the game seems well balanced in terms of probable outcomes (with good fortune and judgement, all the teams had a decent chance). Undoubtedly, it was mostly luck that saw them so easily defeated.

Nevertheless, I still feel as if the only true scum in the game ought to have had more protection against the vagaries of luck, and that the set-up would have been more robust if Morgoth's numbers had been higher. Maybe it's just personal preference, but, in a power-heavy (and esp. kill-heavy) game like this, I think you're better to risk overbalancing it in the big bad's favour than to leave them prone to an early exit.

That said, the above is a very minor criticism of what was a superbly designed and executed game. The thing I love best in mafia/ww is when the setting works in harmony with the mechanics to create an engaging, coherent story, and this did that as well as any game I remember. As the activity in the Dead QT shows, it was a game that continued to be highly enjoyable to follow and discuss after death, which says a lot about both the host and the players.

5. Backwards Logic

I would agree here - reading the Vengence QT, it seemed I was finished off almost because of choxorn's PG. It seemed like there were other candidates, just that turned out to be the tiebreaker. Granted, I was dead anyway. Whether that happened that night or next in the grand scheme of things wouldn't have mattered.

It's interesting you bring this up. I feel the same way about my two games - the former had a few design flaws I can't overlook yet played out beautifully, and my second game was designed pretty darn well, yet was a snoozefest by end game. It goes to show the players and their actions have so much more sway than any host created 'perfect' game design. I wouldn't beat yourself up over anything - your commentary explains your thought process well and I can get behind your thoughts on why you did what.

6. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

;)

Which makes total sense. I probably would have done the same in your shoes, unfortunately. I do wish you would have trusted me a little bit more, considering how straight I played you, but no big deal.

BSmith was remarkably helpful, and Snerk was pretty helpful too.

I'm...a little disappointed with the Victory, to be honest. Buddhafish was on my top 2 of suspects, along with Swammerdami, and I probably would have ended up going after Buddha if I had survived the lynch. I was all prepared to write a vindictive post if the Town had outright lost, but that's water under the bridge now.

Just going to say, though, that if the guy who has been killing all the bad guys says that he's on the good guys, you should probably believe him. ;)

7. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Yes, those two (especially Verarde) played very well, even if there was a point where I was wondering if I might need to replace the town's MVP. :lol: I also found it kinda funny that they ended up lynching him, but he did kinda back himself into a corner with the whole ring business.

I don't know. I feel like a 5-player scum team with those powers in a game of this size is just too much. And making them more resistant to nightkills would frustrate vigilantes/SKs and make their abilities feel pointless.

My original design (way back) had the Morgoth team as only 2 people - an infinitely respawning and incredibly powerful Balrog + Morgoth, and the faction could only be truly eliminated by lynching Morgoth. I later decided that a Balrog that kept coming back to life would be more obnoxious than anything, and 2 people was too small anyways.

Ha, I think that's the first time anyone has ever sung the story's praises for these games, much less called it "engaging" and "coherent"! :lol: I focused more on making it funny than anything, although I personally enjoyed the stories behind the Vengeance faction, and to a lesser extent the Empire and Jedi Order.

Thanks for the kind words.

Maybe I should have made your cover role something other than Elrond and made you bulletproof. That probably would have been better, even if I generally prefer not to make roles completely bulletproof.

I think I mentioned after NSP that it always kinda bugged me that the first Star Wars game choxorn and I hosted was our most successful, since it was so much more poorly designed than all of the other games we've both hosted. I agree that there's only so much the host's setup can do, it's mostly up to the players to make a game enjoyable.

I will quibble over the town role your game had that was both bulletproof AND killed anyone attacking him. Either of those abilities in a townie is arguably overpowered, but both! :p

8. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

Pretty sure that was the week I was on spring break and was spending most of my free time on the beach or in a car instead of the Interwebz. :p

9. Backwards Logic

Oh no, it is overpowered! :lol: Just no one had ever done it before, and it requires such a specific set of actions to be useful. I didn't realize how powerful it was until it happened and I saw the aftermath. Not one of my finer moments as a game designer (both games had it if I recall correctly, just the second saw its use), but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't fun to do the writeup! That said, I learned my lesson with that role. You have a legitimate gripe there!

10. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

*looks up that game*

hot diggity I won in that too!

therefore balance was good :)

11. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Town, Part 1:

You know what the Town is.

Arakhor (Haldir):

Spoiler :
    Haldir

Player: Arakhor

Faction: Town. The Town is opposed to all who threaten its existence and seek to destroy it.

Alignment: Neutral-Good

Universe: Lord of the Rings

Ability: Arrow to the knee. Injure another player; they will not be able to perform any night actions the following Night phase.

Personal Goal: Did you just kneecap Cthulhu? Injure at least two Evil/Neutral-Evil players.

Background Information:

Lore:

(from One Wiki to Rule Them All)

Haldir was an Elf of Lothlórien, probably a Silvan Elf, and a marchwarden who guarded the forest's northern borders. When the Fellowship of the Ring arrived in Lórien, he became their guide to Caras Galadhon. He and his companions are described as wearing grey hooded cloaks and residing on platforms or flets.

None Shall Pass:

You're an expert with a bow, being a blond elf and all. Your skill is such that you can place an arrow in the perfect position to temporarily incapacitate, but not kill or seriously injure, your target. If they're bad, you're saving lives; if they're not, well, they'll get over it soon enough. It's really their own fault, anyways.

Victory Conditions:

Major Victory: All threats to the Town are eliminated, and you survive to the end of the game.

Victory: All threats to the Town are eliminated.

Defeat: The Town is eliminated.

Major Defeat: The Town is the first faction eliminated.

Delayed roleblock. Could be recruited to Empire.

BSmith1068 (Barliman Butterbur):

Spoiler :
    Barliman Butterbur

Player: BSmith1068

Faction: Town. The Town is opposed to all who threaten its existence and seek to destroy it.

Alignment: Neutral

Ability: Have Some Ale. Roleblock another player (i.e. prevent them from using any active night actions). You cannot block the same person more than once.

Personal Goal: A Beer a Day Keeps Murderers Away. Use your ability to save someone's life.

Background Information:

Lore:

(from Wikipedia)

Barliman Butterbur is a fictional character from J. R. R. Tolkien's epic fantasy The Lord of the Rings.

Butterbur was the owner of the Inn of the Prancing Pony in Bree. He was a fat, bald Man, but as Bree was inhabited by both "Big Folk" and "Little Folk", i.e. hobbits, he had two hobbit employees: Bob, who worked in the stables, and Nob, a servant. He called Nob a "slowcoach" twice.[1]

None Shall Pass:

Surely the last meeting would have gone better if everyone had something to drink. That's why you're here this time. Keep the drinks flowing for the right people and you just might save a life. Or you might cause a DUI and endanger everyone on the road, but those are the risks we take in the face of evil.

Victory Conditions:

Major Victory: All threats to the Town are eliminated, and you survive to the end of the game.

Roleblocker with some minor limitations that might have become more serious lategame. Didn't work against Balrog. Could be recruited to Empire.

I screwed BSmith over. He should not have died when he did, as SamSniped2's ability was supposed to have protected him. If I don't screw this up, that means SamSniped2 might not have been lynched, so this mistake caused the deaths of potentially two LOTR townies. It ended up not really affecting the game, as I think Buddhafish would still have lived long enough to secure the victory since no one suspected him, but still. Huge blunder on my part.

christos200 (Gollum):

Spoiler :
    Gollum

Player: christos200

Alignment: Neutral-Evil

Ability: My precious. Scan another player to determine if they possess the One Ring; if so, steal it from them.

Item: The One Ring. If you do not use any abilities at Night, you cannot be targeted by (most) Night actions.

Personal Goal: It's very precious. Never lose the One Ring.

Background Information:

Lore:

Gollum, originally known as Sméagol (or Trahald), was at first a Stoor, one of the three early Hobbit-types. The name Gollum was derived from the sound of his disgusting gurgling, choking cough. His birth can be estimated to have happened in the year TA 2430. His death date is given as March 25, 3019. His life was extended far beyond its natural limits by the effects of possessing the One Ring. At the time of his death, Sméagol was about 589 years old, a remarkable age for a creature that was once a Hobbit, but he had been deformed and twisted in both body and mind by the corruption of the Ring. His chief desire was to possess the Ring that had enslaved him, and he pursued it for many years after Bilbo Baggins found it while walking in the Misty Mountains in the book The Hobbit. In the movies, he was a deuteragonist.

None Shall Pass:

Sauron and his goons left you for dead, but got the last laugh. After the Dark Lord's demise, you managed to snag the One Ring off of his dead body. Now if everyone would just leave you and the precious alone, you could live out the rest of your days in blissful admiration of your prize. Alas, another Dark Lord has arisen who can't leave well enough alone.

Victory Conditions:

His scan he referenced in the thread was totally made up, he never targeted spaceman or SamSniped2.

He could still be nightkilled, despite the Ring. There was also no "corruption" mechanic, I don't know where this came from as it's not mentioned anywhere by me. Could be recruited to Empire.

Double A (Qui-Gon Jinn)

Spoiler :
    Qui-Gon Jinn

Player: Double A

Alignment: Good

Universe: Star Wars

Ability: I'll save you. Prevent another player from being nightkilled.

Personal Goal: Always there for a co-worker. Save a Jedi's life.

Background Information:

Lore:

(from Wookieepedia)

Qui-Gon Jinn was a revered, yet maverick and unconventional Human male Jedi Master. He was the Padawan to Count Dooku, and the mentor to Obi-Wan Kenobi and briefly Anakin Skywalker. Jinn often placed himself in conflict with the Jedi High Council. He was deeply attuned to the Living Force, which contributed to him frequently taking side trips to help seemingly weak and useless life-forms. Despite his opposition to the council, he was regarded by many Jedi as sharp-witted and possessing great wisdom.

None Shall Pass:

Darth Vader may have gotten the best of you last time around, but you're better prepared this round. You can use your experience being attacked by scum to prevent the same happening to others, but this unfortunately leaves you vulnerable to attack yourself. If only you had more midi-chlorians!

Victory Conditions:

Funnily enough, Double A was a doctor again, albeit a more limited one this time. He couldn't protect people from the Balrog, as he quickly found out. Could be recruited to Jedi Order.

Internet Flea (Wedge Antilles)

Spoiler :
    Wedge Antilles

Player: topsecret Internet Flea

Ability: Hot on your tail. Track another player to see who, if anyone, they visit.

Personal Goal: Stalkers are a step away from policemen. See a killer visit their victim.

Background Information:

Lore:

(from Wookieepedia)

Wedge Antilles, a Human male, was a famed Corellian pilot and general, known as a hero of the Rebel Alliance and New Republic. Orphaned at age seventeen, he joined the Rebellion after Imperial forces killed his girlfriend, Mala Tinero. A standout starfighter pilot, he was one of the few to survive the Battle of Yavin, after which he founded Rogue Squadron with his friend Luke Skywalker. Antilles and Skywalker built Rogue Squadron into a renowned unit, and after the Battle of Hoth, Antilles took command. He flew as Red Leader in the Battle of Endor, striking the blow that destroyed the second Death Star alongside Lando Calrissian and becoming the only pilot to survive both Death Star runs.

None Shall Pass:

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. But I have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. I will look for you, I will find you, and I will observe you."

- Wedge Antilles

Victory Conditions:

Standard tracker, although he couldn't track the Balrog. topsecret/Internet Flea targeted Verarde so many times, and each time Verarde sat on his ass. :lol: Could be recruited to Empire.

Jarrema (Denethor):

Spoiler :
    Denethor

Player: Jarrema

Alignment: Neutral-Evil

Ability: A test of loyalty. Scan another player to determine whether or not they can be recruited by another faction.

Personal Goal: I've got my eye on you. Scan at least two players that are recruitable.

Background Information:

Lore:

Denethor was the twenty-sixth Ruling Steward of Gondor and father of the War of the Ring heroes Boromir and Faramir.

None Shall Pass:

As someone unfailingly loyal to Gondor, you can test another's loyalty to their own cause with remarkable accuracy. Just... try not to burn anyone alive, okay?

Victory Conditions:

Best picture. Who doesn't enjoy seeing Denethor get smacked?

If he lived long enough to use his ability, this probably would have created even more paranoia around the Empire/Jedi. Could be recruited to Empire - needless to say, he would've been a valuable addition with such an ability.

Denethor's original ability was to automatically steal the Ring if it ever went up for vote, but I re-designed it after realizing how unlikely it was that the Ring would ever go up for vote and how lame the ability was. I think Denethor was an original member of the Empire in earlier designs, back when part of their VC involved holding the One Ring.

JohannaK (Éowyn)

Spoiler :
    Éowyn

Player: JohannaK

Ability: I'm looking through you. Scan another player to determine their alignment. Scanning a player from the Star Wars universe gives a random result.

Personal Goal: I see you, devil. Scan at least two Evil/Neutral-Evil players.

Background Information:

Lore:

Éowyn was a noblewoman/shieldmaiden of Rohan, daughter of Éomund and Theodwyn, younger sister of Éomer and niece of King Théoden. Forced to spend most of her youth caring for Théoden in his declining years, she yearned for an opportunity to prove herself in battle. She was driven to despair by her unrequited love for Aragorn. When she was rebuffed by the men she longed to accompany into battle, she disguised herself as a man and accompanied the Rohirrim army to Minas Tirith, where she won great renown in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields by slaying the Witch-King of Angmar, with the help of Meriadoc Brandybuck, whom she had carried with her. Severely wounded by the Ring Wraith, she nearly died, but recovered with Aragorn's help in the Houses of Healing. There she met Faramir, the Steward of Gondor, and fell in love with him. The two married in TA 3020 and settled in Ithilien after the War of the Ring.

None Shall Pass:

You watched your brother and father both die in the last meeting in Minas Tirith, along with several others close to you. The pain hurt, yet you managed to power through and lead your people to victory in that terrible war. The people need your guidance again, perhaps more than ever. You are confident that your keen insight from last time will continue.

Victory Conditions:

The LOTR alignment scanner. Could be recruited to Empire.

johnhughthom (Kit Fisto):

Spoiler :
    Kit Fisto

Player: TFT johnhughthom

Ability: I sense much ambiguity. Scan another player to determine whether or not they are neutral. (Neutral being defined as not belonging to the Town, but also not a threat to it.)

Personal Goal: Knowledge is power. Scan a member of every faction.

Background Information:

Lore:

(from Wookieepedia)

Kit Fisto was a renowned male Nautolan Jedi Master in the waning years of the Galactic Republic. In 41 BBY he took Bant Eerin as his Padawan. He later trained Nahdar Vebb as his Padawan to knighthood as well. During the Clone Wars, he served as a Jedi General in the Grand Army of the Republic, as well as a member of the Jedi High Council.

None Shall Pass:

For such an important Jedi, it saddens you how many will pass by wondering "who was that?" and "I don't remember him." You're a war hero and respected Master, damn it! Before long, the name Kit F... Fish... Fitz... oh, right, Fisto - the name Kit Fisto will be remembered by all!

Victory Conditions:

It's unfortunate that TFT was inactive, as his scan would have come in handy in the early game when the Empire was under fire. Combined with BL's scan, they could become a true cop. Of course, that means you're working with Morgoth. Could be recruited to Jedi Order.

Kennigit (Ki-Adi-Mundi):

Spoiler :
    Ki-Adi-Mundi

Player: Kennigit

Ability: My Creepy Red Eyes Are Watching. Watch someone to see who, if anyone, visits them.

Personal Goal: Caught Red-Handed (and Red-Eyed). Witness someone commit murder.

Background Information:

Lore:

(from Wookieepedia)

Ki-Adi-Mundi was a Cerean Jedi Master serving as a member of the Jedi Council during the last years of the Galactic Republic. He was among the Jedi participating in the Battle of Geonosis. He became a Jedi General in the Clone Wars and took part in such conflicts as the Second Battle of Geonosis. While he was leading a contingent of Galactic Marines on Mygeeto, he was executed by his own forces under Order 66.

None Shall Pass:

You couldn't make it to the last meeting at Minas Tirith due to family obligations (polygamy's not all it cracked up to be). Recently, you pulled the Jedi card on your five wives and seven children, and it worked! Unfortunately, while you were simply planning to go on a booze cruise with some of the other Jedi, another crisis occurred and you were called in to help. (Sometimes you wish you'd stayed with your basketball career.)

Living with five wives and seven kids has taught you patience. You can spend all night watching one person to see whoever comes their way. Kind of like how you sometimes spend all night staring at the gargantuan gas payments on your hover-van. Transporting thirteen people isn't cheap, you know.

Victory Conditions:

You can tell this was one of the character backgrounds I wrote before I started rushing to get them all done.

Kennigit was a watcher, but he didn't get to see much. Could be recruited to Jedi Order.

KingMorgan (C-3PO):

Spoiler :
    C-3PO

Player: KingMorgan

Ability: Protocol is my specialty. Scan another player to determine whether they are from the LOTR universe or the Star Wars universe.

Personal Goal: Like I said, protocol is my specialty. Send at least one PM to every player you scan as belonging to the Star Wars universe.

Background Information:

Lore:

(from Wookieepedia)

C-3PO, sometimes spelled See-Threepio and often referred to as Threepio, was a bipedal, humanoid protocol droid designed to interact with organics, programmed primarily for etiquette and protocol. He was fluent in over six million forms of communication, and developed a fussy and worry-prone personality throughout his many decades of operation. After being destroyed and discarded on the planet Tatooine before 32 BBY, C-3PO was rebuilt; his salvaged nature gave him special qualities that distinguished him from similar droid models. Along with his counterpart, the astromech droid R2-D2, C-3PO constantly found himself directly involved in pivotal moments of galactic history, and aided in saving the galaxy on many occasions. C-3PO considered various droids and organics to be friends of his, and was very dedicated to them, as well as to any master that he served.

None Shall Pass:

One of the few survivors of the First Intergalactic Battle for Middle-Earth, you unfortunately failed in your efforts to secure a victory for your people. Redeem yourself from past failures and prove yourself worthy.

As a protocol droid, your communication skills are (obviously) exceptional. You can quickly determine another player's universe of origin after conversing with them, and you strive to use this power to come in contact with your fellow countrymen.

Victory Conditions:

Originally his universe scan would have been more useful if he was in the Vengeance faction with Luke, but alas. Could be recruited to Empire.

Newyn (Gwaihir):

Spoiler :
    Gwaihir

Player: Newyn

Alignment: Neutral-Good

Ability: Not Superman, not a plane. Protect another player from being nightkilled. Four uses. Cannot be used in consecutive Night phases.

Personal Goal: Savior. Save the life of at least one member of the Town.

Background Information:

Lore:

Gwaihir, also known as Gwaihir the Windlord, was the greatest of the Great Eagles during the the Third Age. He is best known for his deeds during the events of The Hobbit and the War of the Ring.

None Shall Pass:

When you can be bothered, you'll swoop in and carry someone to safety. But if someone needs to travel a long distance to a place of high elevation in order to save the world... forget it! Can't be done. The best you can do is to occasionally save someone when the plot has backed them into a corner.

Victory Conditions:

Stolen right out of Camikaze's LOTR game! He was the "true" doctor, although his usage of the ability was pretty limited. Not recruitable. I also couldn't help myself from making a crack at the common "why didn't the Eagles just carry Frodo to Mount Doom" complaint about the LOTR series. A Tolkien fan would probably frown at it - then again, a Tolkien fan has probably frowned frequently at my treatment of the lore. Others might point out that it would make more sense for the Eagles to take Frodo to Hotel California.

Riedquat (Faramir):

Spoiler :
    Faramir

Player: Riedquat

Ability: I Detect Lust. Scan another player to determine if they hunger to place the One Ring on their finger.

Personal Goal: Don't Touch Evil. At no point in the game is the One Ring in possession of a Good/Neutral-Good player.

Background Information:

Lore:

Faramir was a wise and powerful man, able to tame both man and beast. His kind nature and intellectual prowess caused many to believe that Faramir was less hardy and able than his brother and other captains, though Faramir proved his worth in battle many times over and was described by Éowyn as being a greater warrior and more honest person than any man of Rohan.

None Shall Pass:

When good men slumber, terrible men wreak havoc. So you learned, after you found out that Sauron had run around masquerading as you while you were engaged in important affairs (a squash tournament). This time, no one can pretend to be you, for your presence will cause the powers of evil to tremble in fear! Well, maybe. Probably not. But they should be afraid!

Your unique ability to utterly refuse the One Ring's temptations has given you a certain insight. You can tell when someone has that burning desire to hold the One Ring and wield its power, without fail.

Victory Conditions:

Originally Morgoth would desire the Ring and Riedquat's scan would be one of the few able to pierce his cover (causing people to wonder why Elrond would hunger for the Ring), but I cut this after realizing it didn't make sense for Morgoth to want the Ring. That would be like God hungering to listen to Yeezus. Could be recruited to Empire.

(Character limit.)

12. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

A Jedi with wives? WHAT?

13. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Yeah, read his wiki page. I thought it was kinda funny the way it casually mentioned a Jedi having five wives and seven kids.

14. Internet Flea

Internet Flea Warlord

Wow, Riedquat had a rough PG.

15. Takhisis

Even though personal goals didn't affect how the game went, at all. And he still thought I was serious about my PG of having the One Ring meaning I had to have it or I'd lose.

16. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Town, Part 2:

More Town.

SamSniped (Bilbo):

Spoiler :
    Bilbo Baggins

Player: SamSniped

Ability: Eleventy-One Years of Wisdom. Scan another player to determine whether they are from the LOTR universe or the Star Wars universe.

Ability: My Precious. Scan another player to determine whether they possess the One Ring; if they do, you will steal it. One use only.

(You can only use one ability each Night.)

Personal Goal: I Want the Gold. Hold the One Ring.

Background Information:

Lore:

Bilbo Baggins was a Hobbit, and the main protagonist in The Hobbit. He was hired by Thorin and Company to be their burglar on the Quest of Erebor, and later fought in the Battle of the Five Armies. Bilbo was also one of the bearers of the One Ring, and the first to voluntarily give it up, although with some difficulty. He wrote of his adventures in a book he called There and Back Again. Bilbo adopted his nephew Frodo Baggins after his father, Drogo Baggins, ended up drowning in the Brandywine River. Bilbo was the first Hobbit to become famous in the world at large and one of the few to visit the The Undying Lands.

None Shall Pass:

You were the most famous hobbit ever, until that young upstart Frodo and his friends rose to prominence. Well, now they're all dead, so I guess you got the last laugh. Anyways, all of your travels have allowed you the ability to sense a player's background, specifically from whence they hail. It's a nice talent and all, but you know what would be even nicer? Holding the One Ring again - it's just so precious.

Victory Conditions:

Two scans of questionable use. :/ Could be recruited to Empire.

SamSniped2 (Gimli):

Spoiler :
    Gimli

Player: CivGeneral SamSniped2

Ability: You've activated my trap card. Anyone targeting you at night will be both prevented from carrying out any night actions and protected from any attacks. However, you are still vulnerable to nightkills.

Personal Goal: Axes save lives. Use your ability to save someone's life.

Background Information:

Lore:

Gimli, son of Glóin, was a well-respected dwarf warrior in Middle-earth during the Great Years. He was a member of the Fellowship of the Ring, and was the only one of the dwarves to readily fight alongside elves in the war against Sauron at the end of the Third Age. After the defeat of Sauron, he was given lordship of the Glittering Caves at Helm's Deep.

None Shall Pass:

You were doing so well, with Sauron's name on the tip of your tongue, when Saruman drugged you, threw you in a ditch, and stole your identity. The nerve! In the end, karma came back to bite Saruman in his saggy old ass, while you have another chance to prove your worth. You're not only trying to validate yourself, but your entire race - show these racist bastards that dwarves are as capable as any of them.

Victory Conditions:

Already elaborated on my screw-up with BSmith and SamSniped2. Could be recruited to Empire.

I really liked this ability. It's unique, and it's not overpowered - if everyone targets Sam to protect themselves, Sam himself can still be killed (since anyone trying to protect him will be blocked).

Snerk (Obi-Wan Kenobi):

Spoiler :
    Obi-Wan Kenobi

Player: Snerk

Ability: I know who you are. Scan another player to determine whether or not they are disguised as someone else.

Personal Goal: Exposed! Discover a town threat using a disguise.

Background Information:

Lore:

(from Wookieepedia)

Obi-Wan Kenobi, later known as Ben Kenobi during his exile, was a legendary Jedi Master who played a significant role in the fate of the galaxy during the waning days of the Galactic Republic. He was the mentor of both Anakin and Luke Skywalker, training both in the ways of the Force. He had a long and tumultuous career that helped shape the fate of the entire galaxy.

None Shall Pass:

When you returned from your two-month hike admiring the natural beauty of Middle-Earth, you were shocked and dismayed at what you found: your people beaten and bloodied, while none other than Palpatine himself used some sort of Sith sorcery to impersonate you. (As if he could really pull of your beard!) Anyways, now that you're back, you want to set the record straight. You've studied the methods Palpatine used in his own disguise, giving you the ability to determine if anyone else is masquerading another as cover.

Victory Conditions:

Normally I would not design such a scan, but it fit in really well with Obi-Wan's background - now that I mention it, I counted cover roles and converted players from None Shall Pass as surviving the events so I could re-use the characters, if you were wondering why they were making an appearance in this game.

Only two people would scan in the affirmative, BL and Count Dingdong, and BL got in Snerk's good graces early. So I deemed it sufficiently misleading for such a powerful scan. :D

Snerk could be recruited to the Jedi Order.

SouthernKing (Treebeard):

Spoiler :
    Treebeard

Player: SouthernKing

Ability: Trees make paper. Send me a message, and I will post it at the end of the Night update (anonymously).

Personal Goal: Fear the beard. Use your ability to lynch someone.

Background Information:

Lore:

Treebeard, also known as Fangorn, was the oldest of the Ents still left in Middle-earth, an ancient tree-like being who is a sort of "shepherd of trees". He has a very tall and stiff-limbed appearance, with bark-like skin and leafy hair. According to the books, Ents are much stronger than Trolls, as trolls are just crude imitations of Ents.

None Shall Pass:

You were actually supposed to be at the last summit, but your gait is so slow that you only just arrived. Oops.

Since you're a tree of sorts, and paper comes from trees, you can leave a message for everyone to read in the morning. What, why are you rolling your eyes at me like that?

Victory Conditions:

Originally there was going to be an Ent faction hellbent on survival and little else, but I decided it wouldn't be a compelling faction to be a part of. They could make themselves bulletproof every third night, and if one of them was killed they gained a one-use vigkill.

Now that I think about it, I'm not so sure the way Treebeard ended up is any more interesting. Oh well. He could not be recruited.

Swammerdami (Princess Leia):

Spoiler :
    Princess Leia

Player: Swammerdami

Ability: More dakka. The next Day phase will have two lynches. (One use).

Personal Goal: For the glory of Town. Use your ability to lynch a player not belonging to the Town, who would not have been lynched otherwise.

Background Information:

Lore:

(from Wookieepedia)

Leia Organa Solo (born Leia Amidala Skywalker) was, at various stages of her life, a politician, revolutionary, and Jedi Knight of the New Jedi Order. The daughter of Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and Senator Padmé Amidala of Naboo, Leia was the younger twin sister of Luke Skywalker, and, shortly after her birth, she became the adopted daughter of Bail Organa and Queen Breha of Alderaan, making her a Princess of Alderaan. An accomplished Senator, Leia Organa was most famous for her strong leadership during the Galactic Civil War and other subsequent galactic conflicts, making her one of the galaxy's greatest heroes. Later she married Han Solo, and became the mother of their three children: Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin Solo. Around the start of the Swarm War, Leia unknowingly became a grandmother through Jacen's daughter Allana.

None Shall Pass:

That disgusting creature calling himself the Mouth of Sauron may have taken you out of the picture last time, but you're back baby, ready to kick some evil ass! Using your political clout, you can ensure there's one Day where multiple people are lynched. After all, another person to kill is another potential scumbag, right?

Victory Conditions:

A unique ability, even if it's not very useful on Day 2. Not recruitable.

Takhisis (Nazgûl):

Spoiler :
    Nazgûl

Player: Takhisis

Alignment: Evil

Ability: Ringwraith. Scan another player to determine if they possess the One Ring; if so, kill them and take it for yourself.

Personal Goal: Give it back, loser. Steal the One Ring and kill the fool wearing it.

Background Information:

Lore:

The Nazgûl (in the Black Speech); (English: Ringwraiths, sometimes written Ring-wraiths, also referred to as the Black Riders or as the Nine; or the Ulairi in Quenya) were the dreaded ring-bound servants of the Dark Lord Sauron in Middle-earth throughout the Second and Third ages, and in the later years of the Third Age they dwelt in Minas Morgul and Dol Guldur.[1]

None Shall Pass:

After Sauron's death, you serve no master. You want the One Ring for yourself, and anyone standing in the way of that goal must be eliminated. As for Morgoth, he can piss off - Dark Lords are a-holes, especially since the last one manipulated you into serving him as an undead monstrosity for hundreds of years.

Victory Conditions:

Takhisis' ability could be useful - he exposed choxorn, and azzaman held the Ring at one point. He could be recruited to the Empire.

Tanar Aerdoth (Figwit):

Spoiler :
    Figwit

Player: Tanar Aerdoth

Ability: Paparazzi. Scan another player to determine how significant of a character they were in their universe's movies (major, somewhat major, minor, not in them).

Personal Goal: Oh my God, can I have your autograph? Scan two major characters.

Background Information:

Lore:

(from Figwit Lives!)

Who is Figwit?

Figwit is an elf who was first sighted in the Council of Elrond. He has dark hair. He has no audible speaking lines.
    He is, in a word, gorgeous.
    Or another, stunning.
    Or another, enigmatic.
    Or another, hypnotic.
    Or another, stupendous.
    Or another, captivating.
    Take your pick.
    We go with all of the above and then some.

None Shall Pass:

Not everyone can be a star. You know that better than anyone. Hell, your parents forgot to even name you. But no matter! You have developed the ability to simply look at someone and determine how much of a star they are. You even capitalized on this talent to jumpstart your own news ("news") service, Totally Mega Z... well, you forget what the Z stands for.

In any case, the world will remember Figwit! (Unlikely.)

Victory Conditions:

Figwit was in Camikaze's game, and the background of the character is funny. His scan might not have been super useful, but I thought it fit the character well. Couldn't pierce Morgoth's cover. He could be recruited to the Empire.

And Yoda isn't a major character, people. How many scenes is he even in? He's a side character, somewhat major might even be generous, considering he's only relevant (as a character) in one movie.

Verarde (Aragon):

Spoiler :
    Aragorn

Player: Verarde

Ability: The People's Blade. Vigkill either the 2nd or 3rd place candidate from the preceding Day phase. (You appear in the update as “the warrior”.)

Personal Goal: Only The Bad Die Young. Kill at least twice as many Evil/Neutral-Evil players as Good/Neutral-Good ones.

Background Information:

Lore:

(from Wikipedia)

Aragorn II, son of Arathorn, is a fictional character from J. R. R. Tolkien's legendarium. He is one of the protagonists of The Lord of the Rings. Aragorn was a Ranger of the North, first introduced with the name Strider at Bree, as the Hobbits continued to call him throughout The Lord of the Rings. He was eventually discovered to be the heir of Isildur and rightful claimant to the thrones of Arnor and Gondor. He was also a confidant of Gandalf and an integral part of the quest to destroy the One Ring and defeat the Dark Lord Sauron.

None Shall Pass:

That ugly bastard Ganondorf pretended to be you while you were on vacation, sipping martinis by the beach. As if such a hideous creature could really pass as the true King of Gondor! You've returned from your holiday to set the record straight. Instead of killing people, like Ganondorf did in your name in the last game, you'll... well, kill people. But for a better cause!

Victory Conditions:

Incredible performance. The limitation restricted the pool of players he could target, but there was usually a good target in that small pool, so I'm not sure how limiting it really ended up being. He could be recruited to the Empire, and would have been had spaceman lived one more Night.

Visorslash (Bail Organa):

Spoiler :
    Bail Organa

Player: Visorslash

Ability: Politician's Eye. Scan another player to determine their alignment. Scanning a player from the Lord of the Rings universe gives a random result.

Personal Goal: Like a Senator, But Worse. Scan at least two Evil/Neutral-Evil players.

Background Information:

Lore:

(from Wookieepedia)

Bail Prestor Organa (formally styled as His Serene Highness, Prince Bail Organa, First Chairman and Viceroy of Alderaan) was a Human male who served as the First Chairman and Viceroy of Alderaan, and served in the Galactic Senate as the Senator of the Alderaan sector from 32 BBY to 19 BBY. Subsequently, he was Senator of the Alderaan sector of the Imperial Senate from 19 BBY to 1 BBY. He was Princess Leia Organa's adoptive father and a friend of Jedi Masters Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Rahm Kota. He was married to Queen Breha Organa of Alderaan and was, as Prince Consort, head of the royal house and ruler of Alderaan. One of the main founders of the Rebel Alliance, he was killed when the Death Star obliterated Alderaan. In the Alliance and its successor states, the New Republic and Galactic Federation of Free Alliances, he was respected as a martyr who died for his cause.

None Shall Pass:

You received an invitation to the gathering at Minas Tirith, but the door was slammed shut in your face for some unexplained reason. How rude. Maybe if your political skills had been available, the war would not have been lost. Luckily, this time you managed to slip inside before the doors closed. Hell hath no fury like a career politician scorned.

Your years of political experience have enabled you a keen insight into the humanoid experience. You can look at a person and determine the strength of their character in a matter of seconds. The man with a wrinkled shirt? Probably a sex addict. That woman with a blank stare? Probably didn't even cry during Marley & Me. There is one caveat - you aren't experienced enough with the natives of this planet, so you struggle to ascertain their moral standing (who can blame you, they're not even your constituents!).

Victory Conditions:

Star Wars alignment scanner. He could be recruited to the Empire, where his alignment scans might prove of some use.

Legato Endless (Shaak Ti):

Spoiler :
    Shaak Ti

Player: Legato Endless

Ability: I know your secrets. Scan another player to learn their Personal Goal.

Personal Goal: It's for a comrade. Scan two Personal Goals involving Jedi.

Background Information:

Lore:

(from Wookieepedia)

Shaak Ti was a female Togruta Jedi Master, hailing from the planet Shili, serving the Galactic Republic as a member of the Jedi Order in the final decades of the Republic Classic era. Joining the Jedi High Council in the years before the Clone Wars, she took up the ranks of General within the Grand Army of the Republic and was tasked with the oversight of clone trooper training on the ocean world Kamino.

None Shall Pass:

People are so eager to tell their secrets to any "exotic" female even remotely attractive. It would be foolish not to take advantage of that. At least, that's what you tell yourself as you manipulate these poor idiots.

Victory Conditions:

Almost forgot to post this PM! He couldn't pierce cover. He was recruited to the Jedi Order Night 3.

That should be all of the PMs.

17. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Yeah, I tended to make them difficult since achieving them didn't really mean anything, anyways.

18. spaceman98

spaceman98 Plotting something

Will it be good? My main concern is that, now that the planet is fully under SW control and all LOTRs are dead, there's not really any hanging plot threads to pick up. That said, if you have good story ideas, go for it! Every game you've hosted so far has been awesome. The two NSP games were both amazing (and have provided me with inspiration for my own potential game ideas :mwaha:), both in terms of cool and unusual mechanics, and in terms of story. I hope that if an NSP 3 happens, it lives up to this heritage!

19. Takhisis

Yoda is a minor cha… whaaaaaat?

@spaceman98: I can easily work up a lot of conflict between Middle-Earth and these invaders. I've recently -unintentionally- out-nerded Arakhor.

20. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

The story isn't a problem, but finding more characters that people actually care about will be. There's also the potential of bringing in another universe, which might happen.

Didn't say that, but I'm evaluating all six movies, not just Empire Strikes Back. He's only a major character in V.