Norway First Look Video

I think its also worth noting that both Viking Longship and Berserker seem to have more strength than their counterparts.

Viking Longship has strength 30, galley has 25. Berserker has strength 40, swordsman has 35.

I loved Denmark in Civ V (I know, I'm the only one.), but Norway is going to be much better. Fun, fun, fun. Protect your coasts and hide the women and children if Herald is your neighbor. Just hope the AI is better at handling the Vikings in this version than they were in Civ V.

Lots to like with this civ, but my favourite bit is definitely that the auto captions think Norway is led by 'Party Hard Rod'

They aren't wrong.

I think the way Norway functions makes three civs far less probable to reappear in civ6 (at least not in their previous form) due to how it borrows their main bonuses and sources of identity:
- Forest faith bonus of Celts
- Early oceanic travel perk of Polynesia
- Viking aspect (pillage, berserkers) of Denmark

I think we won't see those three civs again, to avoid very similar character (especially in the case of vikings - I think Denmark is the lost cause now). If anything, Denmark would have to return as Christian medieval-early modern maritime kingdom but that seems fairly unlikely as it would have very similar identity to other maritime European civs (and Hansa is already taken). Polynesia is also pretty unlikely to return now - it was very "weird" civ to begin with, not very popular, and its main source of pride, oceanic travel, already got used, while it has quite poor historical material to avoid repeating Maori warriors, Kamehameha and Moai. As for the Celts, I think we won't see Boudicca again, nor Britain-focused Celts, but instead Gauls.

It seems clear that Naval *Ranged* units can perform coastal raids. Which makes perfect sense: Naval Ranged units can bombard land tiles within their range to pillage them.

I doubt that you get yields from bombarding. It wouldn't make any sense to shot a cannonball on let's say a library to get knowledge. You have to go into the library and take the books with you first and then burn it down.

Pillage = taking the valuables with a melee unit + destruction
Bombard = only destruction.

How do you get the conclusion "Naval Ranged unit can perform coastal raids" from that description? It only talks about Harold's melee ship can pillage land, what it means could be just this: except for melee ships under Harold, none of the other ships, melee or ranged, can pillage lands.

Of course they didn't outright say that, but that is my conclusion based on all the evidence. Naval combat wouldn't be very useful if there wasn't some way for naval units to pillage and it makes sense that (at least certain) naval ranged units can do that- it would also explain the emphasis in this first look video on why Harald's ability grants pillaging power to *melee* units specifically.

I doubt that you get yields from bombarding. It wouldn't make any sense to shot a cannonball on let's say a library to get knowledge. You have to go into the library and take the books with you first and then burn it down.

Okay this might be correct. But I do think naval ranged units should be able to attack land hexes in some way (including districts on those hexes), and that Harald's ability will be the only way naval melee units can attack land hexes.

I agree.

Also, did they even show Norway's capital?

Of course they didn't outright say that, but that is my conclusion based on all the evidence. Naval combat wouldn't be very useful if there wasn't some way for naval units to pillage and it makes sense that (at least certain) naval ranged units can do that- it would also explain the emphasis in this first look video on why Harald's ability grants pillaging power to *melee* units specifically.

Your conclusion is based on your wants and dreams, not any evidence.

interesting detail from the vid: raiding that campus next to Osaka yielded 25 science.

Yup, it was known that pillaging campus grants you some of its yields. Which makes going at war for the sole purpose of pillaging very interesting.

Especially with those berserkers, or even better, with the Aztec eagle warriors as you might pillage and enslave people at the same time.

There's also a good probability that the better the buildings in a district are, the more yields you get from pillaging. So attacking a science focused civ when you're a bit late and doing blieztkrieg type raiding of campus might be a good way to catch up on a few techs.

Your conclusion is based on your wants and dreams, not any evidence.

See above where I admit that it might not be pillaging, but rather bombardment of land hexes that naval ranged units are capable of. I still think they have to be able to attack districts near coasts for naval units to be at all valuable.

Okay, now I'm torn between Norway and Scythia as the first Civ I'm gonna play. They look so fun lol.

But I do think naval ranged units should be able to attack land hexes in some way (including districts on those hexes), and that Harald's ability will be the only way naval melee units can attack land hexes.

This is what I expect.

Unfortunately, I am unable to make a gif of Harald Hardrada at the moment, but I really like the way he is designed. His animation, though, needs work. In particular, at 00:11~00:12 he snaps from one animation to an idle stance in a very robotic fashion.

EDIT: Finally managed to convert it, dunno why it wasn't working earlier. Anyway, here you go:

And here's an extra one too!

There was also no shot of Norway's icon, and given the colors, I have no idea what they could be. They look pretty though - similar to Civ V Korea's, but not as harsh on the eyes.

As per the bonuses, this leader is definitively not for me. I'm not much into war focused civilizations, and there seems to be very little in terms of bonuses during peace times.
The coastal raids seem like a really nice gameplay feature of Norway, I really like that! The Longship and Beserker units seem nice, but not groundbreaking - though healing in neutral territory is very nice for naval units.
Embarking one tech sooner is alright, kinda Polynesia lite, but I really like how well it meshes with Norway. The Stave Church, however, is a complete disappointment, and just seems like an afterthought for Norway.

Overall, a civilization that I wouldn't play as, and might be a pain in the neck as a neighbor. Hopefully he'll be like Harold Bluetooth,that guy was a bro! :)

I concur that the raids should allow you to pick up Barb Camps and Huts and thus need to be different from Bombarding. That's why it can't work exactly the same as a ranged attack (but then would of course have to be open for non-viking civs, through a promotion or something for ships).

Otherwise I like the civ, though the stave church seems a bit 'meh', but the rest is fine. It will not be my first civ to play since a more calm game seems more logical for the first try.

Unfortunately, I am unable to make a gif of Harald Hardrada at the moment, but I really like the way he is designed. His animation, though, needs work. In particular, at 00:11~00:12 he snaps from one animation to an idle stance in a very robotic fashion.

There was also no shot of Norway's icon, and given the colors, I have no idea what they could be. They look pretty though - similar to Civ V Korea's, but not as harsh on the eyes.

As per the bonuses, this leader is definitively not for me. I'm not much into war focused civilizations, and there seems to be very little in terms of bonuses during peace times.
The coastal raids seem like a really nice gameplay feature of Norway, I really like that! The Longship and Beserker units seem nice, but not groundbreaking - though healing in neutral territory is very nice for naval units.
Embarking one tech sooner is alright, kinda Polynesia lite, but I really like how well it meshes with Norway. The Stave Church, however, is a complete disappointment, and just seems like an afterthought for Norway.

Overall, a civilization that I wouldn't play as, and might be a pain in the neck as a neighbor. Hopefully he'll be like Harold Bluetooth,that guy was a bro! :)

I assessed it the same way.

I saw someone comparing the Berserker to Swordsmen, but I feel that is inaccurate. We've seen the tooltip for Ironworking. The Legion and Ngao Mbebe are there. The Berserker isn't. I suspect it will come at a Medieval civic and won't directly replace any unit.

I don't think I like the civ:
- Stave Church is cool idea but doesn't fit the rest of the Norway at all. If you decide to not focus on religion (which is pretty logical if playing as Norway), you don't need Theology at all. Also, additional faith from forest adjacency? After you've built second Holy Site building only? It looks like the weakest improvement so far.
- Pillaging doesn't win the game. It could hurt enemies a lot, it could bring some goods in, but that's it. Maybe in Civ6 we'll see more wars with the goal to weaken opponent instead of grabbing new land, but still it doesn't look very useful to me.
- Early access to the ocean probably means early trade. That's good. May be some early pillaging from civs too far away to retaliate. But doesn't look that strong to me either.

i don't see a plan here. How I[m going to win the game as Norway?

Conquest victory? But if you're going to conquer cities, you don't want to pillage them, reducing Norway offensive abilities to minimal (free embark-disembark, bonus Berserker attack).

Religion? With one adjacency bonus from unimproved tiles available in mid-game when you have strong reasons to get rid of unimproved tiles it doesn't look like a bonus.

Culture or science? You probably get some appeal from unimproved forests which probably converts to tourism and you may get some research from pillaging campuses, but that's nearly unnoticeable.

Well the colors are Norway's flag, so probably a lion with an axe. Which is the coat of arms.

Still think (sans helmet) he looks identical to Phillip II.

Top Bottom