Now THIS is a bad start!

Nice exponential graph you have there showing your score!!

This is getting more and more interesting. I'm only just starting to realise the importance of taking into consideration factors such as not only strategic resources, but also luxuries and War Weariness etc when planning a war. I guess I never really paid too much attention to that sort of stuff before..

Wow. After breaking the trade agreement b/n America and the Iriquois, Bob will be begging for peace, especially if you attack his island cities. Maybe he will give you Babylon to appease you (just kidding).

Kill those lousy Americans!! Wait, I'm an American... Ah to heck with it, kill them anyway!! All of them!! All hail the dominion of Rome.

Hi U all, fellow posters! (and lurkers, of course).

Yes, the Iroquois are #1 now, but they're backwards in tech. I'll have cavalries when it will be time to deal "seriously" with them, and probably they won't stand a chance to acquire Nationalism.

Oddly, it's the first time i see an underdog civ competing successfully against beasts like Babylon and Persia. I guess they've been blessed by the good start, the availability of resource and the mistakes of some rather incompetent opponents.

@Fjonis: nor did i, until a few months ago. I think going up in the difficulty levels force you to consider everything. When i played regent and monarch i didn't pay the right attention to those things. In deity, well, you see...

@Zelda's: thanx for the encouragement! Your enthusiastic support deserves a promise: i will put my best skills into sending Abe to oblivion as fast as i can :evil:

War weariness will be a big nuisance for both Abe and Bob. Now, if i manage to lure Abe into declaring to me, its problem will be even bigger, cause he'll miss the reverse war weariness bonus and go directly into amassing WW points. And killing the trade treaty will add even more unhappiness. A few towns into civil disorder and his ability to train reinforcements will be seriously hindered.

I've played a little more after the 'planning phase'. Cannot say anything except: you'll see something you really weren't expecting... humans are strange beasts, they can easily outclass every artificial thinking machine, no matter how sophisticated, but sometimes they do things that even a stupid AI would never do. Seeya later guyz!

940AD - A rectal-cranial inversion

Checking the military, i've noted a disturbing incongruence. I have no armies. Yes, no armies. But a few turns ago i popped a leader and build an army in... Texoco. Or at least i thought so... Let's check the game log... yes. This is what i wrote in 910AD:
The leader is sent to Texoco, where it builds an army. Two legions still outside Tenochtitlan are sent into the town. The rest of my army move towards Calixaca. Next turn they'll be marching into the town. 18 slave workers are sent with the troops moving from south to build a road through the jungle.
I reload the game in 910AD and see... nothing, but the battle still has to be fought, i'm at the start of the turn. Let's load 920AD. Ok. The leader is there. 930AD, the leader is vanished and there is no army.

So, what the heck?!? Wait... i saw something... Let's go back again.
920AD: Texoco is just starting a harbor.
930AD: The harbor has been built and the city has just started a temple.

Yes, i clicked the wrong button. Instead of building the army, i rushed the harbor.
Normally i reload the few times i make such mistakes. They are usually provoked by the haste or, say, the hand slip a little just before clicking and the cursor moves to the wrong icon. But usually i recognize immediately the error. This time, it took me 3 game turns to figure it out. So i guess i deserve it :blush:

Sometimes, every one of us finds itself in a situation where it feels like a complete idiot. I think it's my turn now.

[parallel task]
load scripts.txt - clickety clickety click - save it - load 940AD - replay the turn - end - take screenshot
[/parallel task]

Anyway, what this rectal-cranial inversion thing stand for? Simple:

I think it describes the situation quite well... third serious mistake of the game. I really hope it's the last.
----------------------------------------
Next update coming soon. Stay tuned folks!

:eek: Oh god man! And it was a harbor to boot!
(at least it wasn't a worker!)

:crazyeye:

If it wasn't C3C, what's that palm tree in the desert? :hmm:

Tomoyo said:
If it wasn't C3C, what's that palm tree in the desert? :hmm:
Good spotting! It's vanilla, modded a little. Oasis, bonus resource in desert, +1 food and +1 gold. Btw, if you go to page 1, second image attached, you see something else that shouldn't be there... Apparently, no one noticed it, or didn't bother to ask about.

@Shadow: sincerely, i would have preferred a hundred views less and the leader still in my hands... can you imagine the curses? :mad:

@mrtn & k-a-bob: thanx for the simpathy guyz. Remember: be careful with your leaders... :(

Saturday morning. Yawn... just made breakfast. No work today, and this means lots of play time. In a hour or 2 i'll post another log. Seeya!

Spotted it - the canoe! It's in DyP, which I play. Crappy thing, though..

@Fjonis: didn't know it was in DyP. I just picked it from the unit library. Yes, it's crappy, but it can be built initially without prerequisites. 20 gold, 2 movements, 1 cargo, no attack and defense bonus. A spendable unit for early coastal exploration.
----------------------------------------

950AD - Paving the way

Second thinking - legions won't be moving south to Cleo. 8 legions, 5 of them elite. Why wasting them on such a worthless target? They will be useful in the invasion of America. Cleo, enjoy a little more freedom. But don't worry. I'll come for you.

As planned, a temple is hurried in Tlaxcala. 5 turns from now until cultural expansion. Calixaca will provide the settler for the fort.

Abe had discovered Physics, and it's time to rob him of some techs. Banking and Physics. Alex will be happy to offer Navigation. At the moment, money is not enough for a safe mission, but it will in a turn or 2.

After producing the last worker (a national!) Tehotihuacan is abandoned and resettled 1 tile NW under the somewhat more human name of Tihuaca. With this relocation, all cities involved in the communication line are in their definitive place. Slaves are working on the last 2 tiles still unconnected. The reinforcement grid is about to be completed.

In the meantime, new companies of knights and musketmen continue to be trained and sent north.

I hit enter, and nothing happens. I guess there won't be too much to report in the next few turns.

In 980AD, i finally gather enough money for a safe espionage mission on American technology. Banking and Physics are mastered. A trade with Alex awards me with Navigation. Good accomplishment. Now i can cross the ocean to bring some displeasure to Bob of the Iroquois, and i can trade with Babylon and Persia.

Alas, Babylon is so broken that Jason doesn't have a single cent to pay for anything. And Mario of the Persian has no harbors. Fool. I give Gunpowder to both of them, just to be nice.

But, more importantly, now i can safely park my caravel loaded with muskets in international waters without the need of crossing the American sea.

I call an audience with Bob of the Iroquois, just to peek at him. Hi Bob. We're at war. However, i see that you have all the luxuries i still miss. A good reason to knock at your door and kick your arse a little. Alas, you're half world away, but your time will come, be sure. In the meantime, i'll peek at your technology status. Wow, you progressed quite a bit. You miss Banking and Physics. And so you mastered Navigation too. This means that your lousy boats can cross the ocean and come to my coast to poop some scum. No problem, i'll get rid of them, and you'll have a little more WW.

Anyway, i need to crush you before you enter the industrial era and master Nationalism. Will i succeed? Only time will tell. For now, go boil your head. I'm leaving. What? Peace?!? HAHAHAHAHA!

In 990AD, diplomats inform me that Abe has just started Newton's University. He mastered Theory of Gravity then. America is progressing quickly. Too quickly. I must prevent Abe for discovering Nationalism, or my invasion would be much harder.

Thinking twice, i'd better offer peace to Bob. His harassing troops may be more than a nuisance once my armies start moving toward America, and i don't want to waste some of my units to deal with pesters. Hello, you rotten pile of crap. Would you like sign peace with Mighty Rome? Hmm, i see you have nothing worthily to extort. Ok, i'll take your lousy world maps. Peace, then. No, i don't want to smoke at your calumet. Judging from the effect it had on your mental health, i'd better avoid it. Bye bye, you moron, and keep smoking. I want you to be quite stoned when i come to claim your lands.

In 1000AD, cultural expansion in Tlaxcala take place. I send the aztec settler to build the fort. Forte Pizza is founded, and the 2nd spice tile is mine. Abe is without spices now. And 2 american units, a musketman and a longbow, are in my territory. Is he going to declare on me? I wouldn't be displeased.

War will be delayed a few turns more, until some extra reinforcements arrive. The communication grid is fully set up and loaded with backup troops. Every turn, 2 musket companies can travel all the territory and reach the front.

In the shot: the reinforcement grid. Unconnected means "cannot send slow troops to another node in 1 turn". Roads are everywhere.

1010AD - Operation Jessie James

A caravel has just been built in Tlaxcala. 3 musket companies are loaded into it, then the boat sails off for its destination: the international waters west of the american saltpeter mines.

Meanwhile, new troops are trained and sent north. For the grid to work at max efficience, 2 stationing muskets must be available in each node. Next turn we'll have all the units necessary to fill every spot.

War must wait. Those damn caravel are slow! 4 turns before reaching the stationing point.

Being in peace with Bob now, i no longer benefit of the war happiness bonus. It could be a good idea to establish some trade deal with him. He has an excess of dyes and incense to trade. I can offer him wines and spices... Spices? WTF? Let's investigate a little.

The supply of American spices has been interrupted. Abe kept that lone tile for himself. But the rest of the trade deal between Abe and Bob is still intact. What happened? Probably this spice supply was a separate deal, and it's just expired... goodbye to the idea of ruining the trade between them :(

Bob is badly broken. I ask 1 gpt for wines, but he "would never accept such a deal". Wines and spices for dyes and his useless world map. Agreed. And unhappiness magically disappears.

In 1020, Abe has mastered Metallurgy. Now he's just 1 tech short of entering in the industrial age. Cannot wait too much before striking... but at the same time, waiting a few turns would allow me to spy for Metallurgy and Theory of Gravity. There's still 1 turn to wait for the caravel to reach its stationing point. After that, the crucial decision cannot be delayed further.

Greece has discovered Metallurgy too. A risky course of action would be: buy Theory of Gravity for a big sum of gpt, trade it with the Greeks to acquire Metallurgy, upgrade all the catapults, then lure Abe into declaring war. Alas, Abe wouldn't sell it for any reasonable price. My whole income per turn is not enough.

1030AD - The caravel reach its position. And Abe has entered the industrial era. He just mastered Magnetism... damn him! He's progressing fast, and now he's no more than 8/9 turns short of Nationalism. Two more turns for the necessary supporting musketmen to arrive at the front line, then the invasion will begin.

1050AD - The Artificial Stupidity is fooled again

I spy on Abe. Steal world map, immediately. My espionage attempt is exposed, and Abe is quite pissed. So pissed that:

And that's exactly what i wanted. No war happiness for Abe. He will start immediately to collect positive WW points. And he will have a damn lot of them. My troops reach the border, split in two and invade the american soil headed for San Francisco and Atlanta. At the same time, the caravel reach the american coastline and... damn! A lousy longbow is occupying the saltpeter tile. The 3 musket companies disembark on a nearby hill. That vermin must be removed in some way.

Now THIS is a good story!

Excitement, intrigue, sudden reverses, triumphs, all funny and well told. You've earned every view, tR1cKy. I'm a very casual player but am learning a lot reading your reports and the other posts on this forum. Great stuff.

Meffy

Hi Meffy!
First, welcome to CivFanatics' Forums!
:beer:
And, of course, thank you for the enthusiastic support! Keep reading, more stuff is on the way. I'm fully into the invasion of America and, well... i won't anticipate what's going on, except for: nothing goes exactly as you wish it would go.

Seeya!

Shadow Phoenix said:
*cough* Nukes yet? *cough*
In Middle Ages?!?
--------------------------------------------

1060AD - The Scourge of America

In the interturn, two american longbows are sent to skirmish. The first kills one of the 3 muskets garrisoned on the hill, the 2nd dies against a legion on a hill. Bob has started Smith's trading company. He knows Economics then. We'll see if there's the possibility of a trade. But first, let's deal with San Francisco and Atlanta.

The catapults outside San Francisco are almost uneffective. A veteran musket is damaged, a population unit is killed, and that's all.

The 1st knight kills a reg musket. The 2nd and 3rd retreat redlined. The 4th redlines the vet musket but it's killed. The 4th and 5th are both redlined, but another reg musket is killed. The redlined veteran remains visible, and it should be the last defender in the city. An elite longbow charges and gets killed. The musket is promoted. An elite legion redlines the musket but is killed. The 2nd elite legion finally overcomes the defender and capture San Francisco.

On the northern front, catapults perform even worse. Only 1 pop unit killed and no damage done to the defenders. The good news is that no veteran muskets defend the city, only regulars. Knights charge. The 1st is redlined but tear off 1 hitpoint to a musket. The 2nd does exactly the same. The 3rd retreats redlined without doing any damage. The fourth finally kills a musket.

Two muskets at 2/3 are left in the city. Knights charge again. Another regular musket is killed. Only one left defending. It's time to toss in the 2 elite legionaries. The 1st redlines the musket but is killed. The 2nd wins and conquers Atlanta.

Casualties have been minimal. 1 knight, 1 longbow, 3 legions. America: 6 muskets loss. But 9 knights are damaged. They must retreat to Forte Pizza in order to heal quickly. No barracks in the 2 conquered towns, but it's irrelevant. Anyway, i could'n dare to park my knights there. The risk of cultural flip is too high.

The downside is that no leader has been created and no victorious unit has been promoted. With a leader i could have moved the capital to Atlanta. A huge hit for my actual core territory, but i would have secured a stronghold for the successive invasions. Considering the number of battles, the number of leader popped is quite low, not considering that i wasted one to rush a harbor... :suicide:

Ten mounted divisions are still to be moved. They can enter in the American territory south of New York and strike at the city next turn. A risky move, since they would have no artillery support. Then, 3 muskets and 3 longbows are wandering around the city, in the range to reach it during the interturn and fortify. But i move them anyway. If they regroup in New York, i can at least acquire control on the saltpeter tile. On the other hand, capturing New York would secure me the saltpeter tile anyway, so when those cities flip, the defender will be a pukeman rather than a musket.

The decision is made. Those 10 knight companies head for New York. 2 muskets and 1 longbow are sent in support. The 2 muskets garrisoned in the hill nearby are moved too, there's no reason to keep them there.

Finally, a legionary is sent to the mountain north of San Francisco to keep track of the movements of the american troops.

In this shot: my newly acquired land. The task force sent to New York is also visible.

1070AD - Cursed by the evil gods

In the interturn, i'm badly screwed by the RNG gods.

The task force headed to New York suffers heavy skirmishes, in which everything couldn't go worse. First, a longbow attacks and kills a musket, with no hitpoints lost, and get promoted to elite. Another attack and halves the hp of another musket before being killed. Then, 2 muskets killed in a row by 2 longbows. The whole supporting division is obliterated.

The RNG gods aren't content yet. Another longbow attack a knight, which retreats redlined. Then, a stinking swordsman attacks and kill a knight without losing a single hitpoint. When the skirmish is over, the count of the casualties is frightening: 3 musket companies slaughtered, only one survived at half strength; one knight company completely annihilated and 2 badly damaged. And a nasty stack of american forces has placed itself exactly between my task force and the city of New York:

It seems that Abe want to defend that city at all costs. Wait... ah, mistery solved. New York has a wonder, the Copernicus Observatory. It is known that the AS defend fiercely a city in which a wonder is built.

Things have suddenly turned against me. San Francisco and Atlanta are no more in the "grace period", so i must prepare myself for a cultural flip. Forces must be garrisoned outside, and that damned saltpeter supply zone needs to be neutralized ASAP. This means that i have to sacrifice another knight (he will surely be doomed by the american counterattack). I'll pick the damaged one. May Zeus be with you, o brave knights! The company move NW to the saltpeter and destroy completely the road on it.

Now, i need to decide what to do with that annoying stack. And what to do with the task force that, obviously, cannot strike at New York as planned. Attacking the stack would gift Abe with more war weariness, even if my forces fail. There are new mounted units coming and 9 of them, healing in Forte Pizza, will be at full power next turn. A substantial backup. And a difficult decision anyway...

Well, i have played boldly since now, why turning into a coward? Oh, Mighty Lord Zeus! Dark forces have layed waste on our valiant attackers! Soldiers that should have been crushed like insects were victorious over us and killed many of ours! Our enemies acted like puppets guided by invisible and infallible hands! Protect us, oh Lord! In your hands we put our humble lives! Lead us to victory!

Knights of the Crown! For the glory of our Undying Empire! For Rome! CHARGE!

It's an epic charge. Soldiers that have just been badly beaten raise the swords and go against the enemy as nothing has happened. When the battle is over, a mounted company is lost and not a single unit hasn't reported some sort of damage. But a large number of Abe's forces lay dead on the battlefield. It's obvious that my planned blitz attack on New York will be delayed, but i'm sure that the morale of the American population has suffered a severe hit.

Two american musket companies, one in my territory and one just outside the border, have been killed. My stacks of catapult are on position. Muskets and legions guard them. A knight company is just outside San Francisco and ready to retake the city in the case it revolts. Other catapults and defending units are outside Atlanta. More troops are on the way.

To the south, a few longbows and legions previously stationed in the southern cities has been gathered into Thermopylae. Next turn they will send to Cleo the final present from Rome: the annexation of her worthless city-state.

Still have to end the turn. What will happen? I'm pausing from the game for a while. Next update... well, later or tomorrow. Dunno. There's the Formula One championship in Melbourne tonight, and i won't miss it. Well, for the Aussies it's in the middle of the day, for us it's in the middle of the night. Exactly half world away...

Anyway... GO SCHUMI GO!!! FERRARI IS #1.

SIDE NOTE: Actually, we screwed up a lot in the qualifications... :mischief: but the race is another story...

HI! this is a really good story and its amazing how you dug yourself out of that lousy starting position, but one thing is really bugging me. you're playing as the Romans, yet you keep on praying to "Lord" Zeus. i know a bunch of mythology and hte Romans prayed to Jupiter. i don't want to make you look bad or anything, but if you have a reason for saying zeus instead of jupiter please tell me. also if it is just a mistake, it's no problem, just a little annoying. :sad:

@greekguy: first, thanks for the support! There were times when, in such a crappy startpoint i would have reloaded instantly. I tried to play this and... here we are. :D

About the name, thanks for pointing out that "glitch" that may have bugged someone else as well. Ok, i'll explain it. I know, the latin name is Jupiter and not Zeus. Why Zeus? For me, it may be silly but it simply sound "better" than Jupiter, that would be said like You-piter. Zeus sounds "like" a god and Jupiter so-so. So i used Zeus. And that's all.

The "scene" of the generals invoking the Lord Zeus and so it's an - in italian i would have said "esaltazione drammatica" - like drama but exaggerated, sometimes until ridicolous. I was screwed by the RNG so i came out with this "curse of the evil gods"... the same as when i lost a leader by hurrying a harbor and so called the part "a rectal-cranial inversion", modded the script.txt file and took a screenshot of a city with the words "The Emperor made a complete ass of himself" instead of "We love the Emperor day celebration is ended". :crazyeye:

See it as a way to laugh at our tremendous mistakes or strikes of bad luck. While playing a game and even in real life. :D

Top Bottom