1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nubia First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

@Eagle Pursuit, any guesses when they could reveal the rest of the Civs?

2. spfun

spfun King

Hopefully they buff some of the weaker civs in the patch, Egypt need a considerable buff now. Double the 15% district bonus on rivers for a start...

Hawke9 likes this.
  3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think the DLC06 will come with the Autumn Patch. Which could be anywhere from September 22nd to December 21st. Although we should get plenty of advanced notice.

CPWimmer and CivLuvah like this.
  4. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Forget Egypt, France is in a desperate need of serious buff. Egypt isn't that bad.

Ozymandias9891 and AntoineS like this.
  5. Wingednosering

Wingednosering Prince

*Cough* Norway and Spain *Cough*

6. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I wanted to mention Norway, but it at least exceeds on Islands map. But yeah, Spain should be also buffed.

Hawke9 likes this.
  7. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

I am wondering why they made her so... er... curvaceous. I can't really find anything that suggests she was but surely the devs are going off something to direct that creative choice?

Hawke9 and Kimiimaro like this.
  8. Eagle Pursuit

Probably just a way to make her unique, and not just black Cleopatra.

Hawke9 likes this.
  9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Looking forward to playing this Civ (though playing against her as a neighbor could somewhat thwart my early rush, and that might be fun). I know archer rushes are said above as being too overpowered, but given that the AI builds lots of archers (since the last patch), you are almost forced to build them to take out AI archers. Otherwise your warrior will be decimated by the time they can attack the archer (assuming the archer is in rough terrain). Regardless, I like the gameplay of archers over horsemen. Ranged units make combat more interesting for me.

And a desert civ is bonus as well. I'm a desert rat as it is, so I'm not afraid to put cities there. Even if they aren't the best, they still serve me in some fashion.

But yeah, at some point (probably around the 1st expansion) they need to beef up the vanilla civs. I still play them. But it's hard not to want to play the OP civs every game. I'm still hoping they beef up America as well (mostly in the warfare department with a better WW2 era uu- change it to a bomber or something useful, or give us a U.S. marines UU).

10. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Influence from the black empires matter movement

Hawke9, Leyrann and nzcamel like this.
  11. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I must say I'm pleased. I might even buy it at full price (I'm waiting for sales to get the first four DLC). Especially if the scenario looks like fun.

Wingednosering likes this.
  12. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

The depictions you can see on the Wikipedia page certainly do not depict a slim woman, and she has notably broad hips. Firaxis have clearly exaggerated her depiction (as they have most of the leaders) to make her a unique personality. I'd guess they wanted to amplify the matriarchal nature of her role as Kandake.

In any case, it's hardly unusual for wealthy historical leaders to put on a bit of weight in their later years (*cough* Henry VIII *cough*), and in many cultures it's considered a symbol of wealth and status.

MarcosQuadros, Hawke9 and Zaarin like this.
  13. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

See that's the image I'm looking at and she doesn't seem heavyset to me. Sure her derriere is large but her waist is still slim. Her Civ depiction is just outright chubby. They don't line up for me.

We are free, of course, to interpret her depiction in art differently however just as the devs at Firaxis may

14. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

I really like this civ design, particularly the idea of a tile improvement that gets different bonuses from different districts (and synergizes with a bonus towards their production). My only concerns are 1.) that a generic ranged bonus, while interesting in the abstract, seems excessive in a game where ranged units are already dominant and 2.) That another leader whose ability specifically references the civ's other unique features is another step away from making interchangeable leaders work as an advanced setup option (the potential to do this was, in my view, the primary advantage of distinguishing civ abilities from leader abilities).

15. Eagle Pursuit

It looked to me, based on the yields in the video, that it got +1 Faith and +1 additional Faith for each adjacent district, plus +1 Food for an adjacent city center. Does everyone else see that, or am I wrong?

16. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

Actually, to answer my own question, I found an art piece that shows her along with other figures and she does appear much more heavy set in this depiction (Amanitore being on the left):

So perhaps that was the source of their inspiration

17. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Given that mismatched leaders and civs isn't yet an option in game, I don't think that's what they had in mind at all when they introduced multiple leaders. Rather, different leaders emphasising different play styles around the same core abilities, and better enabling themselves and modders to add extra leaders (which was popular in the Civ V Steam Workshop but not well-supported by the game itself).

18. PYITE

PYITE Prince

The tool tip from the video says that it gets +1 yield for any adjacent district. Hammer for industrial, gold for commercial and harbor, culture for cultural, science for campus, faith for holy site, and food for city center.

19. Janskey

Janskey Prince

They only showed the yields when the was a city center and holy site next to it, but there's a brief glimpse of mouseover when the UI is presented and it shows you get science from adjacent campus, culture from theater square etc.

edit. damn, ninja'd again

20. Eagle Pursuit

Okay. I was wrong. That doesn't actually sound all that great. The more districts you build around it just add a hodge podge of yields.