1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nubia First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jul 25, 2017.

1. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Sounds like a civ that is powerful and uninteresting.

2. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I like Nubia except I am reminded somewhat of Macedon's inclusion. Given how influenced Nubia was by Egypt (to the point where at least one of Nubia's abilities is Egyptian, and its unique unit an Egyptian mercenary), I think Nubia is to Egypt what Macedon was to Greece. I would have preferred a bigger power like Ethiopia or Mali, but I guess they'll be added in a future expansion. Color me surprised at this civ, and its female ruler! :)

I must say though, I'm a bit disconcerted by how many of Nubia's civ abilities are just boosts to certain improvements (like mines) or boosts to speed (speed in producing archers), instead of more active abilities that require tinkering to make awesome (like Polish or Australian culture bombs). The Nubians certainly seem overpowered. Production bonuses and archer bonuses mean a lot of your early struggles in the game are very easy to deal with.

Guandao and Abraxis like this.
  3. conorbebe

conorbebe Prince

Jebel Barkal, an archaeological site off the river Nile, will be a new Wonder coming with this DLC. You can see it at the beginning of the First Look: Nubia video.

4. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

Yes, that is sure now. There are only few places for Civs free and it would be better if they take even African civs from other sides of the continent. Nubia and Ethiopia are too similar. The average user does not know the difference. Also I prefer Nubia:)

Khufu builds the greatest pyramid and Khafra a lot also. They were both from the Old Kingdom which is massively underrepresented in all Civ games till yet.

5. MaximusPlatypus

MaximusPlatypus O.O

According to TSL maps, Meroë should be in a prime location for their abilities. Lots and lots of deserts and floodplains.

6. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Sounds like a DLC Civ.

Hopefully it'll get properly tuned. And we do need a bit more variety in this overly Eurocentric and especially Hellenocentric game.

7. luigilime

luigilime Prince

That is so not true Nubia is similar to Egypt not to Ethiopia and it's based in modern Sudan there's plenty of space for Ethiopia. You can't leave out the African civ that all of Africa admire

8. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

Egypt needs a good adjustment, make the Saqqara as unique improvements and transform the Sphinx into a wonder, it would be great

9. Piruparka

Piruparka Prince

If at 0:40 in the first look movie you glance at the minimap at the northern east section of the continent, there is a royal blue civ layer and a dark blue city spot. I can't recall who'd this be?

Hawke9 and Katakanja like this.
  10. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

That's the sea :p

11. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

This is what bugs me about them. Egypt takes a lot of creativity to leverage their bonuses well, and a lot of experience to manage the overflow of opportunity cost she sees in the ancient and classical eras relative to others.
    How is she rewarded for performing exceptionally under these circumstances? She gets to avoid falling into a pit of mediocrity. Which is fine, but if that's the standard we're setting we should stick to it.

Then comes Nubia, similar bonuses, simplified mechanics for twice the reward -and a shared starting bias to pour salt in the wound, ensuring the majority of games you'll be in direct competition. Doesn't seem right, and I really hope I'm missing something or when put to practice they actually play out quite differently than they seem. I've never met a game I like where the easy route was also the one to the greatest reward, and this is a very troubling design philosophy if it was intentional.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    nzcamel likes this.
  12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Who will lead the Sea? Poseidon? Do we really need yet another Greek leader?

LoneRebel, nzcamel, CivLuvah and 13 others like this.
  13. Piruparka

Piruparka Prince

:lol: Ok, I guess you're right. Embarrassed right now :D

Bosque, Hawke9 and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  14. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

Haha, no it was just an amusing little thing. I was desperately looking for clues hidden in the video earlier, so I know how you feel :D

Hawke9 and Piruparka like this.
  15. nitedemon

nitedemon Warlord

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanitore
    Prolly from this pic

16. luigilime

luigilime Prince

So tomorrow there's going to be the livestream right?

17. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Then how about Neptune? He was Roman. New Roman leader would be welcomed.

nzcamel likes this.
  18. Eagle Pursuit

Yes. 2pm EDT.

19. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Okay, sounds like the video has been scoured for clues already. By multiple people. Thanks. :goodjob:

I'll skip doing that myself once the kids are napping and go straight to trying to finish my current game before the patch breaks it.

nzcamel likes this.
  20. Eagle Pursuit

I've actually been so hyped over this that I haven't been able to play since Saturday.

nzcamel, CivLuvah and AntoineS like this.