Number of cities maintenance spiraling

dorzl

Chieftain
This cost has been rising rapidly for no apparent reason. I now have 8 cities, with rather favorable civics selected, and a maintenance cost of 380, growing by the turn.
Also, my war galleys began taking attrition (?) while at see. Dynamic difficulty is turned off in BUG.

This cost has been rising rapidly for no apparent reason. I now have 8 cities, with rather favorable civics selected, and a maintenance cost of 380, growing by the turn.
Also, my war galleys began taking attrition (?) while at see. Dynamic difficulty is turned off in BUG.

Is it specifically the number of cities cost or is it just general maintenance in general? Crime can really do a number on your maintenance once you get a few techs that enable the costly penalties.

Though i do find I hit the wall around 7 or 8 cities too until I pick up Aristocracy (I dont run Caste as i find it doesnt reduce my maintenance enough to make up for the severe penalty to great person generation) and a few other things. Andeanism helps a lot too because El Dorado is huge once you can build it.

As teakbois already pointed out, crime can be your problem. Check your cities and see whats going on there. I suggest placing some police units (Guards, Town watchman and so on) in your cities. Their crime reduction bonuses stack. My current cities all have negative crime :)

Also check to make sure you aren't building too many unneeded buildings that increase maintenance by %. Crime can cause some of that too.

Top Bottom