Nvidia driver 81.94 = GOOD!

Hypus said:
Are Nvidia video cards better than ATI video cards?

In general : it depends on your criteria and for what specific game.

For Civ IV : it appears (based on forum-posters' opinions) that nVidia videocards are "better".

Hypus said:
Hey

Are Nvidia video cards better than ATI video cards?

Sometimes Nvidia has the better card, sometimes ATI. Historically Nividia has produced better drivers, but they have been slipping the last year or two so I'd say it's more or less a matter of coin toss today.

edit: splellning

the two reasons why nvidia cards are highly recommended by gaming companies are PS3 (pixel shader version 3) and SLI.

Stonegate Wrote : Also the new drivers make absolutely no difference to the scrolling.

Funny - it makes a difference here. Not huge, I'd say about 10% better.

They have been in the past very equal, it just depended on what you prefered more. Thought ATI has been sleeping the past months a bit, Nvidia has been advancing much faster, especialy with the SLI, since it put it under a patent so ATI was forced to research something on their own and their crossover last i heard has still problems. Nvidia with the 7800 is better than ATI but its just a question of time when ATI will wake up again and get equal. All the other cards before are basicly equal and depending on which game supports which graphic company that card has than 3 or 4 frames per second more. Nvidia seems to sponsor more games thought, at least i see their logo more often in a game than ATI.

I go for Nvidia, but thats because i know already Nvidia and so far was happy with it and so dont see a need to change. As someone said its a question of taste, for me there are so small diffrences that counting them to figure out which one is better is just ridicelous.

81.94 really worked for me, I had 81.85 (i think) before. I no longer get lines across the minimap! Zooming also works better.

Didn't seem to make much difference to me. Prolly either my card is too old; or something else entirely that is wrong with my system (not sure what).

nVidia has a much cooler sounding name. nVidia also has a much cooler looking logo. I have never bought or tried an ATI card because of those two reasons. nVidia, challenge everything, including my ability to write a usefull post.

Although it was not very clearly stated on the Nvidia site, I think this version finally fixed some issues with Directx 9.0c.

It also runs Everquest a lot better now FYI.

Hey, thanks for this thread that gave me the heads-up on the new driver.

The game runs more smoothly overall for me using 81.94. Not a vast difference, but still a noticeable improvement.

And, best of all, globe view doesn't give me screwed-up terrain now! (At least so far...cross fingers...) Before, at least half the time I scrolled out far enough to get the clouds, I would see cities, and ocean, and...lots of garbage where land tiles should have been.

Now once we get the patch we'll really be rocking...

-- Kevin​

The game runs better for me with 81.94, but I still crash to desktop upon some worker actions. Here's hoping that the patch further improves this. :undecide:

My pc crashes now every time i pass the 1800AD mark. Anyone else experienced this?

Nope. I do encounter something strange though. Usually while still in BC years, the game will hardlock for a moment. Mouse movement stops, and the drive thrashes violently.

Before 81.94 it would BSOD citing nv4_disp.dll. Now it recovers, it just takes a minute.

Sorceresss said:
In general : it depends on your criteria and for what specific game.

For Civ IV : it appears (based on forum-posters' opinions) that nVidia videocards are "better".

actually that's what appears based on YOUR opinion of posts on the forum.

Top Bottom