Official CivBE full intro cinematic "The Chosen"

My only complaint regarding the video is that they invested so much money on both intro, as well as older teaser into, while on the other hand, we will probably get just cheap artwork image for game victories.

Like that both developer and publisher think that most player will not finish the game anyway, so they invest in first impressions, instead of lasting impressions that end game cinematics would give.

Last Civilization game with decent end game movies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5OgYPzDKp4

So, so, so long ago...

I figured they'd just use the announcement trailer, but this is video is a lot more personal.
I'm not exactly a religious man, but I really liked the priest's blessing. The entire intro is very well done actually. I like it.

As a side not to ARC's space program being called "Beyond Chiron", Chiron in Greek mythology was the wisest of the centaurs, who bestowed the gift of immortality upon Prometheus; another hint to the whole 'salvation of mankind' theme.

In any case, it's a beautiful conclusion to the family of exceptional Civ 5 cinematics.

And more importantly (XD) it was the name of Alpha Centauri's planet

I was reminded of the NatGeo cover but then I instantly thought I was being naive like "oh so every young girl wearing a headscarf is the same to you, eh?". I chide myself a lot like that.

I agree with others that the best part was the priest putting his hand up to the rocket window and the person inside raising theirs. I'm not religious either but it was a very human moment.

I did feel goosebumpy watching the video but I can't identify why because it wasn't really that good thinking about it objectively and since I'm hard of hearing I couldn't tell what the narrator was saying. Maybe I'm just so hyped for the game after all this time.

I was reminded of the NatGeo cover but then I instantly thought I was being naive like "oh so every young girl wearing a headscarf is the same to you, eh?". I chide myself a lot like that.
Oh, I think it's a natural associate for us to make--the red headscarf, the big eyes, the haunted, weather-beaten look. I guess the interesting question is whether the artists were thinking of the NatGeo picture, consciously or unconsciously, when they created the film. Wouldn't surprise me if they did.

I honestly doubt that the character was derived from the NG cover or Malala. The appearance is somewhat similar but that seems like it would be inevitable given the parameters of the character.

it does look like earth, doesnt it

where did we come from anyway

When I reached the end of the video I had to chuckle at the planet. "Oh, so the new planet has to have the Lush biome, does it?"

Honestly, the Arid and Fungal biomes just don't seem to get the same respect the Lush biome does! :p

(Of course, undoubtably it wouldn't have the same impact for the opening cinematic to arrive at your new homeworld and find it's an arid desert world or covered in mold...)

Although to note, if the girl is indeed from the Kavithan Protectorate, then chances are she would be of Indian stock, as opposed to an Afghan girl.

Malala would fit though, being Pakistani and probable part of the KP.

Lots of the local tribes/peoples have members live on both sides of the Pakistani-Afghan borders.
That's to say, even if there is still an Afghan or Pakistani government in existence in the 23th century. After all, there've been a couple generations of 'dark age' before the Seeding started.

I know it's been said at least twice, but "Beyond Chiron": I <snip> love it :D

Also, the family-separation feels, and the priests-blessing-the-cosmonaut feels, and oh man, the feels...

(Overall, I might have liked the other trailer better, but this was still great!)

Moderator Action: Inappropriate language removed.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Yeah, that Priest shot was easily the best shot in the video. It was oddly surreal and undeniably touching even though I'm not religious in the slightest.

I disagree (Kozlov's tech quotes are totalitarian an un-humane for example), but this one moment touched me the most in the whole video. It was something I could relate to, in a way it felt homely. The image of an out-of-place, out of his time priest among futuristic surroundings made me feel connected to the whole setting of the video.

In any case, it's a beautiful conclusion to the family of exceptional Civ 5 cinematics.

I'm an atheist. But that moment, with the priest, touched me in a way I can barely describe. It was subtle, and very, very human.

I'm an atheist. But that moment, with the priest, touched me in a way I can barely describe. It was subtle, and very, very human.

Same here, an atheist as well, and YET that was the most touching scene.

I oppose religious interference in public life, but I also acknowledge its existence as one of the deepest and most ingrained facets of humanity.

It was nonetheless so sad to see that we cling to it so dearly.

Also, in a way, it showed that in the end, a semblance of understanding was reached. Moreso that what I can say for the present day. It made me happy.

It was an ET moment - the symbolic coming together of old Earth's traditions, and the new Earth's future.

Top Bottom