Official Game Decisions

Sherlock613

Chieftain
So, we need to have team decisions on the following issues. Since we are a small team, I figured it would be best if we just put this all in a thread, and I'll edit this first post.

Issues:
Map settings- 1. give map maker free reign
2. Choose the type from:
Map type: Islands, Continents, Pangea
Map size: Small, Standard, Large
Climate type: Temperate, Tropical, Arid, Rocky, Cold
Sea Level: Low, Medium, High

Huts- on/off
Events- on/off
Vassal States- on/off
Barbarians- none/normal/raging
Tech Trading- normal/ only tech brokering/off
Difficulty Level- Low (Noble/Prince), Medium (Monarch/Emperor),
High (Immortal/Deity)
Speed- Quick, Normal, Epic, Marathon

Civilizations- single or double
Leaders- restricted or unrestricted
Duplicate civilizations- yes or no
Turns- Simulatenous or Sequential

I think that's it.

Saved for Results:

2. Choose the type from:
Map type: Islands, Continents, Pangea
Map size: Small, Standard, Large
Climate type: Temperate, Tropical, Arid, Rocky, Cold
Sea Level: Low, Medium, High
1. (3)
2. (1)

Huts- on/off
On. (3)
Off (1)

Events- on/off
On (1)
Off (3)

Vassal States- on/off
on (0)
off (3)
(abstain) (1)

Barbarians- none/normal/raging
none (0)
normal (3)
raging (1)

normal (0)
brokering (0)
off (2)

Difficulty Level- Low (Noble/Prince), Medium (Monarch/Emperor),
High (Immortal/Deity)
low (0)
medium (3)
high (0)

Speed- Quick, Normal, Epic, Marathon
quick (0)
normal (3)
epic (0)
marathon (0)

Civilizations- single or double
single (3)
double (0)

Leaders- restricted or unrestricted
restricted (3)
unrestricted (1)

Duplicate civilizations- yes or no
yes (1)
no (2)

Turns- Simultaneous or Sequential
simul (3)
seq (0)

My votes-
Map settings- 1
Huts- off
Events- off
Vassals- off
Barbarians- raging
Tech Trading- OFF (my strongest opinion, hehe)
Difficulty- Medium
Speed- Normal or Epic, indifferent here

Civs- single
Leaders- unrestricted
Duplicate civs- no
Turns- simultaneous

I like the idea of consolidating in one thread and yeah, probably should have done this myself if I had time last night (not that I'm not going to enjoy GMing the game I now have ongoing).

Anyway I'll be sure to check in/keep up with our team's doings.

My thoughts on game preferences:

Barbarians and Huts ON - Huts only if Barbs are on though, not if other teams vote down barbs
Tech Trading OFF (also a strong preference. Above all I do not approve of no brokering though. But I'd have this option supercede others too)
Events - OFF - either broken or worthless, last game didn't work well, so no
Vassals, Permanent Alliances - OFF (This and OFF on tech trading are a good combo I think. Don't want to get a weird combo of the two, if other teams vote weirdly, don't know how better to put it)

Civs - single
Leaders - restricted (can't have elizabeth of rome or something)
Duplicates - sure, I'd be ok with us or other teams
Difficulty - Emperor-ish sounds good, medium to medium high
Speed - Normal
Turns - simultaneous

Map - mapmaker's choice is good. Don't be too "artificial" though and I'd like something other than straight pangaea - lakes, mountains, or of course different landmasses at least

Thanks for starting this thread...hopefully we'll have some ideas and can respond just as other teams are (thinking everyone else collectively is going to :lol: a lot at MERLOT. I wish them luck and hope they have fun though, it's a cool idea.

Thanks for putting this one up Sherlock. I haven't had time to catch up on all the issues going on in the main forum as yet.

I'd be happy to give map maker free reign although I'd mirror what has been said elsewhere about sticking to the script and not "balancing" things to much. It'll only give cause for people to protest. Standard is probably big enough for 6 Civs although I would accept Large. Big and small islands. Temperate or Tropical with a medium sea. I don't mind a jungle chop fest ;-)

Everyone likes huts and I agree with Earthling. If you want the good you have to take some bad so (Normal) Barbs on also.

Thats a no to Events, they're only going to distract us from the real core of this game which is about the team discussion. I have no preference for vassal states so i'll abstain from this one. Tech trading should be off. Medium difficulty level.

I actually think that a quick game (with simultaneous turns) is the way to go. It would keep everyone's interest level high and it might mean that civs would aim for another VC if the techs kept coming.

A single civ restricted highlander game (i.e. there can be only one ;-) ) There's a reason that leader traits are balanced with UU's and UB's. Tokowa of Inca would be a right royal prick. I also think the game would be boring if we had 5 Lizzy's.

I'm happy with events on, but definitely turn vassals & permanent alliances off. Keep huts and non-raging barbarians on, restricted leaders, Medium difficulty and a Quick or Normal game on a standard temperate continents map.

The problem with events, for those who aren't familiar - and I'm not an expert on this since I haven't tried it - last game and afaik still possible in this game there is way to "cancel" an event - the person exits out of the game and the event disappears. So people were cancelling every possibly negative event...and effectively events don't do all too much anyway, except for a few "major" ones like barbarian uprisings. Not to shoot down your preferences, though it looks like events are getting voted down around the board anyway; it is unfortunate but I can live with it.

We need a few more votes guys - get to at least all 5/6/7 of us here so that we can share results publicly (at least what we agree on for the most part, some of the votes we seem more in agreement on).

2. Choose the type from:
Map type: Continents
Map size: Standard
Climate type: Temperate,
Sea Level: Low,

Huts- on
Events- on
Vassal States- on
Barbarians- Random
Difficulty Level- Medium (Monarch/Emperor),
Speed- Normal

Civilizations- single
Leaders- unrestricted
Duplicate civilizations- no
Turns- Simultaneous

I'm happy to have Tech Trading on, but certainly turn Tech Brokering off. Otherwise, leave it off all together.

Barbs 'n' Huts - Normal
Vassal States - On
Permanent Alliances - Off
Tech Trading - On
Civs- Single
Leaders - Restricted
Dif. Level - Low
Speed - Normal
Turns - Seq
Double Civs - Yes
Map - I don't give a damn

Are we ready to announce our decisions publicly - at least those we're close to unanimous on?

Go ahead, I think.

Huts--Off
Events Off
Vassels--On
Barbs--Normal
Tech--Off
Difficulty--Medium
Speed--Normal
Civ--Single

All others, I have no preference.

Top Bottom