Official System Requirements

@Civ King,
Thanks for the advice, I got carried away and am going to order an i5 750, 4 gig ram, hd 5550 512 ram. Will this be an adequate machine?

No on the graphics card, get a 5750 as a minimum, preferably a 5770, they are much more worth the cost.

Theres absolutely no point getting such a powerful CPU and such weak graphics. You would be better off going for a cheaper AMD Quad if it allows you to afford a 5770 as well.

Oh no, Quadro 160m is crappy :lol:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Quadro-NVS-160M.11908.0.html

Whoops, we thought you had a Geforce.

Going by what other people are expecting, the Quadro 160m (not very common), 9400m, and Radeon 4250 will be able to run the game at minimun, but I dont think it will be very smooth.
See? I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to graphics stuff. I can't even correctly tell you which card I have! :mischief:

(I'm positive the 160m is right)

So... Knowing that now... Am I better off waiting for the demo?

@Civ King,
Thanks for the advice, I got carried away and am going to order an i5 750, 4 gig ram, hd 5550 512 ram. Will this be an adequate machine?

Get a Radeon 5770 not a Radeon 5550,

See? I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to graphics stuff. I can't even correctly tell you which card I have! :mischief:

Ouch :backstab:
Thanks nVidia, thats a really nice confusion here :crazyeye:
There is a GeForce GTS 160M, which is quite good, and ususally to be found in consumer/multimedia/gaming notebooks.
And than there is a Quadro NVS 160M, which is quite crappy, and usually found in business/workstation notebooks.
Brilliant naming scheme. Small wonder people are getting headaches when trying to figure out what laptop to get [pissed]

Can anyone comment on how well this will scale down to run on a 256mb ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470? I have a Thinkpad T400 that I was hoping could squeak through and be reasonably playable. The suggested specs are higher than I expected.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T400

Check out the demo on low(est) settings. Will probably work, but no eyecandy for you ;)

Well I need to upgrade my 7 year old PC to a laptop (yes it has to be a laptop, and 15" or less actually). I would like to be able to play Civ 5 and GTAIV on it with decent graphics. I've researched a bit and I think I have a handle on the graphics card requirements/performance, but am a little confused about the CPU - I'm upgrading from a P4 so all this dual and quad core stuff is quite new to me.

I've reviewed this thread and identified the following systems as potentials. My budget is around $1500, though I will be happy to spend less if it will meet my requirements.

Asus G53JW-A1
Maingear eX-L 15
Asus G51JX-X5
Alienware M11x
Asus N82JV-X1

Does anyone have any recommendations or can suggest a system I've overlooked? I'd also appreciate any feedback on the value for money on the dual-core i5 Maingear vs. the i7 quad Asus since they're about the same price and have similar graphics capabilities (I think).

Well I need to upgrade my 7 year old PC to a laptop (yes it has to be a laptop, and 15" or less actually). I would like to be able to play Civ 5 and GTAIV on it with decent graphics.

Does anyone have any recommendations or can suggest a system I've overlooked? I'd also appreciate any feedback on the value for money on the dual-core i5 Maingear vs. the i7 quad Asus since they're about the same price and have similar graphics capabilities (I think).

GTA IV on a laptop. Ouch. You will want all the CPU power you can afford, i.e. a high end dual core or a ~2Ghz Quad. And a GPU north of HD 5650 / GTS 350. And all that in a 15" or smaller laptop for $1500? Should get interesting ;)

You most certainly won't get happy with the Alienware Subnotebook.
The maingear seems the best suited of the bunch, as you can get it with 1600x900 display, which should make things easiler for the GPU. My CPU recommendation for it would be the i7-620M, that pushes it to $1750.
The i7-740QM in the Asus G53JW-A1 will probably be a tad faster in GTA4 and Civ5, in less well mutithreaded games it will be the other way around.

But both are extremely powerful for a laptop.

Some more general info:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=379631
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=377413

Will the AMD Phenom™ II quad-core processor 945 be able to play civ 5 decently?

Will the AMD Phenom™ II quad-core processor 945 be able to play civ 5 decently?

I'm sure it will, but wait and see how your current CPU handles the game first. If you are happy with how it runs, wait for the new quads that are being released next year instead.

I'm sure it will, but wait and see how your current CPU handles the game first. If you are happy with how it runs, wait for the new quads that are being released next year instead.

No I bought it, with the ATI radeon 5770 graphics card, and I am upgrading the 300W power supply to 600W. Then I was thinking next Summer or Fall, I will upgrade again, with a system with the new quad. Do you think there will be expansion packs for Civ 5? I know in the past that's how it's been.

GTA IV on a laptop. Ouch. You will want all the CPU power you can afford, i.e. a high end dual core or a ~2Ghz Quad. And a GPU north of HD 5650 / GTS 350. And all that in a 15" or smaller laptop for $1500? Should get interesting ;)

mmm. notebookcheck.com's benchmark says it ran [barely] acceptably on high res with a GTX280 i7-720QM 1.6Ghz. But you made me think really about what I want.

I really only need the laptop to run Civ - I can work something with a console somewhere or wait until my traveling situation ends and buy a new desktop for GTA. So spending that much more for a laptop for one extra game don't really make sense now, esp since I'll prob be playing Civ most of the time.

wait until March, Sandy Bridge is supposed to be vastly more powerful, also the Radeon 6000 series is coming out which gives a huge jump in GPU performance

Sorry to pester on this, but trying to save a few bucks by pre-ordering if I can.

If you had this laptop, would you pre-order or would you wait and try the demo?

mmm. notebookcheck.com's benchmark says it ran [barely] acceptably on high res with a GTX280 i7-720QM 1.6Ghz. But you made me think really about what I want.

I really only need the laptop to run Civ - I can work something with a console somewhere or wait until my traveling situation ends and buy a new desktop for GTA. So spending that much more for a laptop for one extra game don't really make sense now, esp since I'll prob be playing Civ most of the time.

I understood you wanted it to run better than barely acceptable ;)
And the 280m IS a bit faster than a 360m.
AFAIK the general consensus with GTA4 was that is was shoddily ported to the PC and runs much butter on a console anyway :lol:

Sorry to pester on this, but trying to save a few bucks by pre-ordering if I can.

If you had this laptop, would you pre-order or would you wait and try the demo?

As long as you dont tell us WHICH 160m you have, we can't help you there :dunno:

I know the graphics card is not great, but before I pre-order I would like to know if I even have a shot at running it on low settings:

Code:
   Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
       System Model: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
               BIOS: Default System BIOS
          Processor: AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M520 (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3836MB RAM
          Page File: 1873MB used, 5796MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 
       Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
          Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9712)
           DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9712&SUBSYS_3635103C&REV_00
     Display Memory: 1970 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 308 MB
      Shared Memory: 1662 MB
       Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Top Bottom