1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Official System Requirements

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by 2K Greg, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Modeltrainman

Modeltrainman Warlord

Will my computer run Civ5? Operating System
    MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 @ 1.80GHz 108 °F
    Conroe 65nm Technology
    RAM
    2.0GB DDR2
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0WG855 (Microprocessor)
    Graphics
    HP f2105 @ 1680x1050
    1024MB GeForce 9500 GT (nVidia) 119 °F
    Hard Drives
    244GB Seagate ST3250820AS (SATA) 101 °F
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H31N
    Audio
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

2. Qpla

Qpla Chieftain

You should be able to play it on the "lowest" settings but I recommend trying the demo before purchasing. You are just at the minimum requirements.

3. Modeltrainman

Modeltrainman Warlord

OK. Thanks.

4. Berba

Berba Warlord

Will I be fine with this?

Windows Vista (not the slightest idea of which service pack I've got)
    Intel Core 2 Quad 2.40 GHz
    nVidia GeForce 8600 GS 512 GB
    2 GB RAM DDR2

I don't know so much more, but if you can make a guess out of that I would be greatful :)

5. Thrallia

Thrallia Prodigal Staffer GOTM Staff

my $400 laptop from last year can.

6. Civtilltheend

Civtilltheend Chieftain

Curious as to what your running

7. tokala

tokala Emperor

Will probably work if you don't mind frugal and a bit choppy graphics.

8. Saint03

Saint03 Chieftain

I hope someone can help me out as well. I think I can run it decently but would appreciate an extra opinion.

My specs:

Macbook Pro (w/Windows Vista 32-Bit bootcamp)
    Ram: 4 GB
    CPU: Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 GHZ
    Video: Nvidia 9400 M + 9600M GT each card @256 MB (total 512 MB though canirunit said I have 2.7 GB of video ram)

I can probably ask my parents to send me Vista 64 bit in the mail. But would it make a significant difference?

9. tokala

tokala Emperor

You should probably deactivate the 9400m, as SLIing two non-identical cards will just drag down the faster one (if it is even possible). The memory does NOT add up, both cards would need the same data in their RAM.

You won't need 64 bit unless and until Firaxis releases an 64bit Civ5 version (if ever) ;)

It should run with a decent speed, but perhaps with limited graphics settings, as you only have 256 MB Vram.

10. ERLoft

ERLoft San Diegan

Okay, I know my desktop will eat up Civ, but now, with the Steam Cloud feature, I'm wondering about my recently un-bricked laptop...

It has:

Athlon X2 QL62 (2ghz)
    4 gb RAM
    512mb 9600M GT
    Win 7 Ultimate 32bit

I'm thinking I can run it, but certainly not on max graphics and it might struggle on seriously large maps...

Good evaluation?

11. tokala

tokala Emperor

That's at least what should be expected according to the official reqs, we'll see :D

12. ThERat

ThERat Deity

going to buy a new computer, I think.

What would people here recommend to buy to run civ 5 nicely? which processor and graphics card?
    Thanks for the help

13. DonStamos

DonStamos Mobster Inc©

I just did a Canyourunit check, and I failed the following parts:

For the minimum specs, it says I failed the CPU test:

You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz

As far as I was aware, that met the GHz requirements for dual cores.

For the recommended specs, I failed the CPU test as well as the video card test, though I passed all four of the little subtests:

Features: Recommended attributes of your Video Card
    Required - You Have
    Video RAM 512 MB - 1.7 GB
    Hardware T&L Yes - Yes
    Pixel Shader version 4.0 - 4.0
    Vertex Shader version 4.0 - 4.0

I'm on a laptop, btw, and the card is integrated though the results were somewhat surprising for me. My question is, do you think I can run the game, at least on minimum? Based on results I've gotten for past games, I'm fairly certain I could run it on recommended settings.

14. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

From the manual:

Tessellated terain is in, with variable levels :woohoo:

15. Thrallia

Windows 7 64-bit
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.1GHz dual core
    3GB DDR3 RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 3200 512MB dedicated, up to 1.4GB shared.

Canurunit.com says I can't, but it also says I can't run Starcraft II, even though I can.

16. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Is your graphics card using Hybrid crossfire with your motherboards integrated graphics? If so then you should definately be fine, and that would be why it is performing better than expected.

17. tokala

tokala Emperor

Will be depending how much money you want to spend, how big your screen is, what graphics quality you are targetting and if it shpuld be a laptop ar desktop.

For evaluating that, we need the exact model of the video card. In any case it will be something between "if at all, than only statview" and "probably yes, on low settings".

So a "recommended" card would not necessarily be enough to run it with all the bells and whistles :mischief: Or could it have a software mode fallback?

MUCH more interesting is the "Low Quality" mode for the stratview, could that be the "Netbook-setting" :p

The minimum ATI card for Starcraft is the venerable 9800pro. I concede that one was a "once every ten years" card, but a 3200 should still be able to beat it in newer games :lol:
    That's your usual CYRI nonsense. For Civ5 the 3200 will be borderline "minimum" :p

The HD 3200 is an IGP that CAN use dedicated VRam. Most notebook models just won't use this.

18. Thrallia

I'm not sure why it is that I'm able to run things I *shouldn't* be able to. I do know that I'm glad, because I can't afford to buy another computer for another year or two.

all I can say is that when I worked in computer sales, it was easy to tell which cards were better....now the naming schemes are all messed up and impossible to tell from a glance which ones should work.

19. Lynxx

Lynxx Chieftain

So here comes my "will it work on my computer" question:

Dual core 2.7 Ghz
    4 Gb ram
    ati radeon hd 4350

How well will it work (I assume I should be able to play it, but can I run it under the best graphics)?

20. mattkaru

mattkaru Chieftain

Hey all, I'm trying to decide between 3 laptops to buy and I was hoping you guys could help. :)

I'm planning on getting a laptop within the next three weeks (and of course Civ 5 with it!!) and I'm trying very hard to keep cost below $900. I've had some luck so far in finding something and I understand that I won't be getting the absolute best gaming laptop money can buy, but I was wondering if anyone could help me in deciding what to go with out of the following:

ASUS K52 Series K52DR-X1 NoteBook
    Phenom II Triple-Core N830(2.1GHz) 15.6"
    4GB Memory
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
    $679.00 on Newegg

I found this on newegg for $679.00, which is the most affordable thing I've found yet that I think I could rely on. However, the fact that it's a triple-core is a bit...weird? And Civ 5's recommended specs call for a 2.4 quad-core, and while Civ 5 isn't the only game I'll play I want something decent enough for Victoria 2, Starcraft 2, etc.

ASUS U45Jc-A1
    Intel Core i3-370M Processor (2.4 GHz) 14"
    Nvidia G310M Graphics Engine with 1GB DDR3 Dedicated VRAM and Optimus Technology
    4GB of DDR3 1066MHz DRAM
    $849.99 on Amazon

I'm liking this one the best so far but I'm not really sure if the i3 will be sufficient. It strikes a great balance between my needs as a student and wants as a gamer. I keep getting confused on whether the i3 is fast enough to meet the recommended requirements for Civ5's call for a quad-core processor. Also, I know the G310M isn't the hottest graphics card for hardcore gamers, but I'm more of a grand strategy/RTS gamer. Crysis and the like aren't really my thing. Is it still worth considering?

Toshiba Satellite A665-S6056
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i5-450 dual-core processor 16"
    4 GB DDR3 memory
    NVIDIA GeForce 310M with 512 MB of dedicated DDR3 video memory
    $801.99 on Amazon

This seems to strike a good balance as well, but the same questions about the ASUS U45Jc apply.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions/tips! :)