Official System Requirements

You and I are close to in the same boat (you have a slightly better processor, I might have a slightly better GPU). Unfortunately, it sounds like we're going to be keeping our fingers crossed that it plays....we're right on the minimum. I'm going to wait for the demo to test how it does. I downloaded the demo of two different suggested games (that different people had suggested to try for a litmus test-specs-wise), Mafia 2 and Napoleon Total War. Both of those seemed to play well on my laptop so while I'm on pins and needles until Tuesday, I'm hopeful we can play with some semblance of 'average' settings.

Thanks for the info! I had assumed my video card might be abit on the low side, but judging from the nice link you also posted (thank you for that link too) I am just at the minimum requirements!... As ther rest of my computer is fine I might just order the game and if it does not run nicely get a new videocard...

how about graphics card recommendation good for the game for this:

Shuttle H7 Chassis (AMD AM2+platform)
Motherboard (nVidia GeForce 8200 Chipset)
500W power supply (80 Plus)
Phenom II X4 940 processor

processor is fine

gfx card doesn't look good.

how about graphics card recommendation good for the game for this:

Shuttle H7 Chassis (AMD AM2+platform)
Motherboard (nVidia GeForce 8200 Chipset)
500W power supply (80 Plus)
Phenom II X4 940 processor

I've got more or less the same system as you and am not hopeful of it running. I actually cancelled my pre-order because of the specs. Graphics chip falls way short of the minimum.

I'm sure the game will sell well, but they've lost a huge audience by not making the game accessible to laptop owners, and it's so simple to do.

My laptop is a Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz with a GT220M graphics card and 4GB ram.

I'm very confused about the graphics cards.

Will I be ok or will I need to upgrade my Graphics card?

My laptop is a Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz with a GT220M graphics card and 4GB ram.

I'm very confused about the graphics cards.

Will I be ok or will I need to upgrade my Graphics card?

Yes you will

So you're saying it will run but not very well?

Check out the demo tomorrow and/or check out how the Mafia 2 demo plays on your computer!

Check out the demo tomorrow and/or check out how the Mafia 2 demo plays on your computer!

Unfortunately you can't compare two different game engines even if their specs are similar/exact, as they use different graphical algorithms and I'd happily bet that Civ5 is more efficient in it's memory use than Mafia 2.

As for the Demo tomorrow, that will probably have been compiled using a previous build of the game. So if it doesn't quite run then you still might be able to get a playable experience out of the retail version.

How do you guys see my rig handling Civ5?

Intel Core2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz
4.0 GB RAM
GeForce 8700M GT
64-bit Vista Ultimate

Going to try the demo of course but since it only lets you to play 150 turns I cant test with it how my computer handles the later eras.

Loaded up the Mafia 2 Demo and seemed to be OK - never play those sort of games so nothing to compare with. Ran the Benchmark and FPS averaged around 18-19.

For all that may be worth :confused:

Lowered all Video settings to minimum and improved fps to almost 30. However, cannot see much similarity to this game and Civ 5!

I'm not sure I even want to play Civ 5 if it needs such high-end specs (speaking as someone who's first PC game was Civ 1 :) )

vista 32 duocore
4gbs ram
geforce 9800gt
500w powersupply

should be good?
pc is at bestbuy getting cleaned :D

Sorry, I imagine the forum has been swamped with these requests, but I am really computer illiterate, so I am afraid I have to add to the veritable "stack o' doom" of sysreq askers.

Ehem, anyway.

From the looks of it I should be able to run it at min or there abouts, but I would like to know if it will be worth getting it if it looks terrible or is slow.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 3326MB RAM
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
Chip type: GeForce 7600 GS
Display Memory: 512.0 MB

No can play the demo; didn't think I could.

Dell Latitude D520 Laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.6 ghz
2.5 gb ram
no video card, a chipset (i think that's what its called)

I am not looking for specs, I am sure that's been discussed thoroughly in this thread, but price.
What would one expect to pay on ebay or craigslist for a used machine that'll run CiV?

Thanks in advance for anyones thoughts on this matter.

I get "...Civ V has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Top Bottom