Ongoing problem connecting to CFC

If you use a router, perhaps it'd be worth a try to unplug/reset it to see if it helps?

I would just try changing browsers. That's the only thing other than turning off the firewall on a PC that I can think of.

I'll try it, but I can't possibly see why Safari would connect where MSIE and Firefox cannot.

No go on Safari.

Seriously, what changed when the server was switched over? This is very frustrating -- the proxy is not a good substitute, as I cannot download files stored on the CFC server that way.

In that case just go on Ebay and get a crapper computer for $100 that you use only for CFC.:D

I have three computers at home. None of them will connect to CFC.

Still having this problem.

Me too. That is, the problem of intermittently waiting a while to view a thread, submit a post, or preview a post after clicking the appropriate link/button. Exactly twenty minutes prior to this post, I waited over a minute to preview the post I made in the interracial marriage OT thread, while my Firefox browser showed "waiting for forums.civfanatics.com" and in the meantime I opened up a second browser and hit a few other websites, so I'm pretty certain it's not operator error, my workstation, browser, ISP, or bandwidth.

Me too. That is, the problem of intermittently waiting a while to view a thread, submit a post, or preview a post after clicking the appropriate link/button. Exactly twenty minutes prior to this post, I waited over a minute to preview the post I made in the interracial marriage OT thread, while my Firefox browser showed "waiting for forums.civfanatics.com" and in the meantime I opened up a second browser and hit a few other websites, so I'm pretty certain it's not operator error, my workstation, browser, ISP, or bandwidth.

I time out every time I try to get to CFC from home. In fact, I can't even get there using a proxy server lately. (Probably a problem with the proxy, but still....) I can only get into CFC from work nowadays.

This is ridiculous. This problem has been going on for over a month now. I suspect that CFC's server is blocking my IP address for some reason. I'm now mainly surfing Apolyton at home when I need a Civ forum fix. It's also kind of crimping my desire to do modding, because I don't have access to the mod forum from my home computer. :(

Me too. That is, the problem of intermittently waiting a while to view a thread, submit a post, or preview a post after clicking the appropriate link/button. Exactly twenty minutes prior to this post, I waited over a minute to preview the post I made in the interracial marriage OT thread, while my Firefox browser showed "waiting for forums.civfanatics.com" and in the meantime I opened up a second browser and hit a few other wesites, so I'm pretty certain it's not operator error, my workstation, browser, ISP, or bandwidth.
Yeah, don't know why, but it takes a while for me too. :(

I time out every time I try to get to CFC from home. In fact, I can't even get there using a proxy server lately. (Probably a problem with the proxy, but still....) I can only get into CFC from work nowadays.

This is ridiculous. This problem has been going on for over a month now. I suspect that CFC's server is blocking my IP address for some reason. I'm now mainly surfing Apolyton at home when I need a Civ forum fix. It's also kind of crimping my desire to do modding, because I don't have access to the mod forum from my home computer. :(
Try adding these entries to your host file (located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc) to see if it helps:

208.111.158.15 civfanatics.com
208.111.158.15 www.civfanatics.com
208.111.158.15 forums.civfanatics.com

Also let me know your IP via PM and I will check to see if it's on the block list....

Yes i get the same thing, particulary on my home computer, i just thought it was cause my computer was old (it's a WIN 98! :D) but i am glad it's not only me. :)

I've been unable to connect to the site directly, except by proxy, on three computers at home for a month now, too.

I added the lines as you suggested above to jkp1187, Thunderfall. Still no luck. I've contacted my ISP and they report no problems connecting on their end. It seems my home network has been blocked somehow as well.

Try adding these entries to your host file (located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc) to see if it helps:

208.111.158.15 civfanatics.com
208.111.158.15 www.civfanatics.com
208.111.158.15 forums.civfanatics.com

Also let me know your IP via PM and I will check to see if it's on the block list....

I will check this at home tonight and PM you from my work computer tomorrow.

I have exactly the same problem. I can only connect with proxy, and I tried both IE and firefox.

Top Bottom