Online petition for an updated Civ III editor

You may want to snail mail directly to 2K:

Attn: Jason Bergman
2K Games
622 Broadway,
New York, NY

Jason does not make the ultimate decision, but can forward it to the people who can make the decision.

Can someone, type up a formal request/proposal/petition that could be for everyone to individually print and sign their name ?

Pretty much, the same letter, but each person sends in his/her copy with their own signature.

I definitely agree with this. But please, someone that speaks English as their first language should, or at least someone that knows better than me. I can speak without any problems, but I'm afraid I might do a very simple mistake when it comes to formal letters.

I can certainly do a quick proof read if someone sets out something that gets the point across. I have a good eye for typos and grammar. Unless it's in a CFC post, in which case I normally let it lie. ;) And isn't Ozy a writer by trade? But would that mean we have to pay him?... :mischief:

I can certainly do a quick proof read if someone sets out something that gets the point across. I have a good eye for typos and grammar. Unless it's in a CFC post, in which case I normally let it lie. ;) And isn't Ozy a writer by trade? But would that mean we have to pay him?... :mischief:

Thanks for the address I_batman. I can send a letter there or get one of dads secrtary's to do it(Though Im a lil ' to old to go with that plan, I am am lazy enough and my grammer is so bad it might be pointless not to :) )

Ozy your a writer! wow thats great I say your most quilified for a letter with attached signutures if thats what is decided. I like the idea pf multiple letters hitting them in a barrage. Its a far shot we would really need a lot of lurkers for it to pack a sizable punch. Its still worth the effort heck, what else is there do? :D Think what happens if we even get some type of worth while response or explanation. That be better then nothing (what we have now on this matter))

:lol: Yes, Ozy is indeed a writer :)

Now - should I hypothetically agree to putting this together (and my fear is that agreeing upon and cataloging our desires for such a petition might be akin to the proverbial herding of cats) - what should it include?

Best,

Oz

Now - should I hypothetically agree to putting this together (and my fear is that agreeing upon and cataloging our desires for such a petition might be akin to the proverbial herding of cats) - what should it include?
You know, that's exactly why I didn't volunteer myself. ;) I would assume that most would agree that the release of the source code is the most likely and desirable thing. We don't seriously expect an expansion pack do we? I don't know of any games that have an expansion released after the sequel is out.

As an aside, a glimmer of hope - I'm also a Close Combat series fan, and CC3 has just been re-released (even though the name of the brand continued on, that particular "tree" of games stopped at CC5) as "Cross Of Iron" - which, as near as I can tell at first glance, is basically CC3 with a modder's major changes to the game (the mod is/was called "Real Red") at its core.

Then again, post-CC5, which is about as old as Civ3, the franchise died, yet the customer base remained (RT, realistic WW2 squad-level combat) and nothing adequately replaced it, so a market niche remained wide open; sadly, in this case, The Almighty Makers have decided that C4 is the evolution (read: "improved version of") C3 :vomit:

So our quest continues.

Will somebody please let me know if anyone finds the Holy Grail? :dunno:

Best To All,

Oz

Any news on this one as of late?

Huh!? Did Hell freeze over and nobody told me!? :rolleyes:

- The short answer to your question is NO on this front.

More seriously, OK, I'm ammenable to "authoring" a list but containing what, both in terms of requests and offers (even if the latter is zero currency cost, just Non-Disclosure Agreements and the like).

Now, long ago and far away - and I do mean years - there was a thread petition & poll with perhaps a score of items on it. If someone could save this poor lowly writer with a deadline gun to his head the effort of doing all the ugly work to locate said thread, I'd be much obliged.

Warily,

Oz

Gun pointed.
:sniper:

I'm a new member, but I've figured out most of the Civ III fill stucture, and I wish to give my input.
Maybe I'm too late,:sad: but these are my wishes for the editor (ones in bold are must haves):

-Definetly more civs in the pool. If possible, all should be in the mod.
-More culture groups (to give every civ a different look:cool: ).
-A "delay start until:" option for more modern civs.
-Civil disorder should lead to a civil war if your not careful.
-Units should be able to retreat even if the unit it's fighting travels the same speed.
-There should be more options for the units (not just it's abilities, but the AI statigies also). For example, used as trade unit, or ground/air/and water ability.
-Like in Civ IV, there should be OR gates in the tech tree (Ex: constuction reqires mathmatics OR masonry).
-More flavors (at least seven more)
-The option to add more worker actions, and options like plant/search/manufacture resources.
-Terrain events (like preset a grassland to turn into plains in #### AD/BC)
-The ability to name mountains, rivers, bays, oceans, deserts, plains, and volcainos easly (in editor or in game?)
-More terrain, that we can edit, that is.:)

If none of this is posible, then I agree that the SDK source code be given out so moders everywhere can make all the changes they want.

I was under the impression that someone did make contact with the people who legally had the source code, and they said it had been lost...IE: there is no source code to give out...

I could be wrong, but I thought this issue was a moot point

I think that was only with Civs 1 and 2 (different creators to 3).
Well one of the main problems with civ3 was that a fair number of digruntled civ3 programers left Firaxis before their work was finished (Firaxis has never recovered from this blow, even when they tried to reproduce those peoples' work and implement (such as alpha centauri-ish now-dubbed "civics") those into civ4 the result was rather poor (when compared to what the "old" progs managed to do years back).

So even if the source code is released some day (as I hope) I am not at all sure if the people at Firaxis themselves nowadays fully understand how the engine works.

If the goal is to change a lot, it would probably be quite difficult.

However, I'm relatively confident (or perhaps hoplessly optimistic) that we could change a few things need to make a few things work a little better.

I think we can give a new youth to Civ3 without changing that much.

If the goal is to change a lot, it would probably be quite difficult.

However, I'm relatively confident (or perhaps hoplessly optimistic) that we could change a few things need to make a few things work a little better.

I think we can give a new youth to Civ3 without changing that much.
Agreed. :) An events editor should be reasonable to implement - it just needs a way of monitoring for certain triggers and the ability to perform a certain action when the trigger condition is met. The worry I have is that some of the hard coded stuff (like a limit of 255 buildings and 31 civs) appear to be based on binary numbers, and I suspect that they would be difficult to program around.

Then again, as I've said before, I am not a competent programmer myself so maybe I'm just wrong.

Top Bottom