Orbis 0.30 workshop

Decius mechanic for OO.

I was really impressed about the Decius Unit when I used it for the first time.
A great commander-like unit joins another unit, which gets a promotion and decius disappears.
After the death of the host-unit decius is resurrected in the capital.
My first thought was, this could be used for a zerg-like parasit, which enters and takes control over a living host unit by spell (living units only, can be resisted).
After that, you can choose to keep the controlled unit or let the parasit evolve to a more advanced unit which breaks out of the host and kills the caster. (or with a percentage that it evolves)
Sorry, still highly Starcraft damaged ;)

Besides, for the overlords the control aspect would be appropriate.
So maybe the OO high priest can summon some kind of a decius-like "twisted soul" or "overlords will" unit(only on each highpriest, like the flesh golem), which can float into a living host and takes control over it. In a unit of your own, the benefits can be like " loyality, courrage, no maintenance" and for enemy units, well, the controll over it. (Alternatively the unit could be constructed in a city with an asylum present, should be a good reservoir for tormented souls)
Restrictions could be: Only affecting evil and neutral units, only unblessed ones, a resisstance chance against the spell.

Don't know if its realizable, but just an idea for OO flavour.

Octopus ovelrods sounds awesome, but what is an ovelrods

Plus there are no plans to add Ovelrods... nor Overlords. The religion got changed, and I am not sure the proposed mechanics fits new Old Ones ;)
But as it is interesting, I might twist it beyonfd recognition and add later...

Ovelrods still sound cool

An idea with Decius-like unit is quite similar flavorwise to what Imuratep suggested few pages ago but it's easier and has better execution in this version. I like it a lot - well, maybe not part with parasite ;)

Ok, I will try to implement this. But probably not for 1.0, I am already late with that...

Sorry it was not released this weekend. It is just too much work. I almost released a beta version, but I need a break and want you to get finished product (well, more than it is now). But it WILL be out next week :) Just in time to get a patch or two before easter...

I did some updates to changelog, but as most of my recent work was with new civs (almost finished - for now :) ), the changes listed are mostly regarding art - but check the mechanos section

- Deleted -

Sorry it was not released this weekend. It is just too much work. I almost released a beta version, but I need a break and want you to get finished product (well, more than it is now). But it WILL be out next week :) Just in time to get a patch or two before easter...

I did some updates to changelog, but as most of my recent work was with new civs (almost finished - for now :) ), the changes listed are mostly regarding art - but check the mechanos section

I'm happy; my wife's computer went down and when they replaced the video card, they did it with the most generic one imaginable so now I not only need to see if I can get my laptop's video problem fixed, I need to get a new one for her machine. It would have driven me crazy to have the new Orbis come out and not be able to play it. :wallbash:

One question I do have is when do you expect to work on music for Orbis? I would think you wouldn't have had time to add a whole new category of music for the split for humanists and cultists.

Plus, I have to agree with whoever commented about using Enya for Order. To me Order should have something sounding like the attached. (An old blast from the past for old Civ vets) I agree with the poster that Order should have a bit more of a Crusader theme to it. I mean if I understand it, the Order religion can often do things such as, "We had to burn the village in order to save it" sort of thing and I don't really think Enya music goes well with that. :eek:

Warlords Music?

Road movement enhancements no longer linear (bigger impact on slow units) - consult the attached "graph" (left to right units from movement 1 to 6, up to bottom: no road, standard road, standard road with engineering, imperial road, railroad - all units started at the route start, railroad has a stack of units with 3 moves or less that ended at the same tile)

I tried to understand attached screenshot and explanation few pages later but I still don't get it. Why movement 1/2/3 units move 8 tiles on railroad ? I thought that first movement point of unit lets it move number of tiles equal to minimum movement and every move after this costs full movement point - on basic road M1 unit moves 2 tiles, M2 2+1 tiles, M3 2+2 tiles. But M5 unit on basic road moved 7 tiles, so it doesn't work this way. I just can't understand it :>

So what was the reason for making the white hand a separate religion? I'm just not seeing it.

It makes the Illians less unique, giving free access to priests of winter, ice mana and Drifta for other civilizations (never mind the situation of Auric ascending and another civilization owning the holy city). It goes against the lore in that Auric is the chosen host of Mulcan's power and only the Illians did not suffer (as much) during the Age of Ice compared to the other surviving nations of Erebus (they have no reason to worship their oppressor). The benefits it provides is the same as having sun mana and adepts, so I see little point in that, and the other stuff is just copied from the Illians.

So is there a real reason for this change?

So what was the reason for making the white hand a separate religion? I'm just not seeing it.

It makes the Illians less unique, giving free access to priests of winter, ice mana and Drifta for other civilizations (never mind the situation of Auric ascending and another civilization owning the holy city). I goes against the lore in that Auric is the chosen host of Mulcan's power and only the Illians did not suffer (as much) during the Age of Ice compared to the other surviving nations of Erebus (they have no reason to worship their oppressor). The benefits it provides is the same as having sun mana and adepts, so I see little point in that, and the other stuff is just copied from the Illians.

So is there a reason for this change?

I'm the one who originally implemented it, so my opinions may shine some light on the subject, though I'm not sure on Ahwaric's own reasoning. ;)

Basically, it was the Paradise story by KillerClowns. That, and a desire for an Evil religion which does NOT affect the AC (Or even reverses it). Though one mechanic I added may not be in the Orbis version... When Auric ascends, anyone following the White Hand becomes his minion, and WH civs can not receive Godslayer. They still declare on him during the Draw (he's not a god yet, afterall).

Basically, it was the Paradise story by KillerClowns. That, and a desire for an Evil religion which does NOT affect the AC (Or even reverses it).

Well in game terms that story is just Illian culture overcoming the culture of a nearby city thus leading them to worship mulcan (even though late game culture flipping is nigh impossible due to the lackluster culture mechanics).

And we already have OO as far as evil religions go. The only thing they have that raises the AC counter is their holy building and it only adds a measly 3 points at that.

OO is not evil. It is Chaotic Neutral in RifE. Only evil religions are AV (Chaotic), Esus (Neutral, but which doesn't really make you evil), and White Hand (Lawful).

And to me, that story would be a people in such danger from Hell that they wish to return to the Age of Ice, which had been survived before and could be survived again. Which is a big part of it's features in RifE; It terraforms your land to a usable terrain, and prevents hell terrain spread.

glad to see the changes to OO. It always felt wrong worshiping them them as Falamar (my fav leader) but the changes look like it will rectify that

OO is not evil.

The Asylum, Necromnicron, Tower of Complacency, Serverus, Lunatics and the fact that they worship the 'frikken Ctulhu doesn't leave this impression on me.

And to me, that story would be a people in such danger from Hell that they wish to return to the Age of Ice, which had been survived before and could be survived again. Which is a big part of it's features in RifE; It terraforms your land to a usable terrain, and prevents hell terrain spread.

Then how do you explain nations worshiping the white hand before hell terrain becomes an issue? Even then, Good civs aren't effected by it at all(people complained about this for ages and Khael still does nothing about it) and neutral civs are very seldom in danger of being affected.

Besides, we have sun mana for this type of terraforming. Which also begs the question, why does worshiping the religion of ice and cold has the same in game effect as SUN mana?

Look, if you really want to go through with this idea then there is another way to design this. The White Hand is a separate religion but only vassals of the Illians are allowed to adopt it. This way, only a civ that is prepared to become a vassal to escape hell terrain spread will receive its benefits.

The Asylum, Necromnicron, Tower of Complacency, Serverus, Lunatics and the fact that they worship the 'frikken Ctulhu doesn't leave this impression on me.

I have it as neutral because I see it as the epitome of Chaos; They'll commit horrible atrocities one day, and save puppies the next, just to avoid any pattern of behavior. Because of this, it's a bit hard for me to see them as completely evil.

Keep in mind, anything I say is from RifE. And we have the Law/Chaos axis there, in addition to Good/Evil. ;)

Then how do you explain nations worshiping the white hand before hell terrain becomes an issue? Even then, Good civs aren't effected by it at all(people complained about this for ages and Khael still does nothing about it) and neutral civs are very seldom in danger of being affected.

Again, RifE. I'm changing how hell spreads; It can and will affect good civs.
  • Neutral - Can spread at 0 AC, given an initial source.
  • Evil - 25 AC.
  • Neutral - 50 AC
  • Good - 75 AC

As for people adopting it before hell becomes an issue... Really, that's just gameplay. Same thing as Malakim adopting AV; It's not thematic, but it's allowed.

Besides, we have sun mana for this type of terraforming. Which also begs the question, why does worshiping the religion of ice and cold has the same in game effect as SUN mana?

Whut? The terraforming in the first post states that it makes your land Tundra; Sun can make Ice into Tundra, it can NOT make your Plains or Grass into Tundra.

In my version, it's a new terrain type, Glacial... And rivers gain Crystal Plains (only way to get them in RifE).

Look, if you really want to go through with this idea then there is another way to design this. The White Hand is a separate religion but only vassals of the Illians are allowed to adopt it. This way, only a civ that is prepared to become a vassal to escape hell terrain spread will receive its benefits.

In my version, something like that happens. Anyone following the religion becomes a vassal when Auric ascends.

Whut? The terraforming in the first post states that it makes your land Tundra; Sun can make Ice into Tundra, it can NOT make your Plains or Grass into Tundra.

In my version, it's a new terrain type, Glacial... And rivers gain Crystal Plains (only way to get them in RifE).

That's my bad, I only saw it as turning snow into tundra, but that is the only one that is actually beneficial.

And I'm pretty sure Orbis has Glacial too.

Top Bottom