Over the Reich - McMonkey vs. JPetroski

The lines you need are

At the moment, the only way to "discover" the event is in progress is for the special target to be damaged but not destroyed. It wouldn't be too difficult to add a chance of spies discovering the orders are in progress (I think this was discussed at some point, at least briefly).

Woops! I thought this functionality was in the scenario. Well, anyway, the only raid the Germans have really no chance to "see" in time is Jericho but if the Allies don't have enough assets in the region to attack the prison there's a very real chance that they'll get bad dice rolls and lose it all on their own, so I don't know that we need spy functionality, anyway. Gomorrah is a raid that the Allies can at least get pretty close to the target with before discovery so I suspect it would be a tough one to spot. I suppose depending on how the Allies use the 15th Air Force, they might be able to hit Regensburg in a turn as well, but that would tip their hand for Schweinfurt.

@Prof. Garfield I forgot to mention this weird bug (all it did was refuse to allow me to call up ammo so I just moved a tile over and was fine):

D:\Test of Time\Scenario\OTR\events.lua:5068: attempt to index a nil value (local 'tile')

stack traceback:

D:\Test of Time\Scenario\OTR\events.lua:5068: in local 'hasAirAndTarget'

D:\Test of Time\Scenario\OTR\events.lua:5083: in upvalue 'uncoverTarget'

D:\Test of Time\Scenario\OTR\events.lua:5579: in function <D:\Test of Time\Scenario\OTR\events.lua:5345>

@JPetroski, Did you try to call up ammo on the edge of a map? If so, I understand the bug and know how to fix it. If not, I'll have to investigate further.

Yes that is what happened. It was during the attack on the refinery at Bordeaux.

Axis Turn 34

Five B24s shot down over Bordeaux. Four B24s shot down over Antwerp. B24 shot down during it's attack run on an aircraft factory north of Frankfurt. Halifax shoot down over SE Belgium.

Attachments

• AxisTurn34.7z
    99.9 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for the explanation of the special events. I get it now. I forgot about the 'Historic Target' unit. In a perverse way I'm actually looking forward to the big raids. I love pitting my wits against a human player & this scenario has a really enjoyable learning curve.

Allies Turn 35
-Port at Rotterdam destroyed
-Factory at Rotterdam attacked but not destroyed
-Port at Calais destroyed
-Le Havre port attacked but not destroyed
-Fw190A5 destroyed over Netherlands
-Fuel refinery at Bordeaux destroyed

I was a little groggy and forgot to add the line in for the events this turn. As I start the turns I changed it to turn 36 and will use that event next turn to destroy those improvements. If you need something sooner use the cheat menu. I don't know if onTurn would work halfway through one or if it is called when the turn first starts, hence why I'm using 36 instead of 35 at this point. You shouldn't need these events so I haven't attached them.

Attachments

• AlliesTurn35.zip
    118.3 KB · Views: 41
You might as well download garfields event in case you need to make an attack from the map edge.

Axis Turn 35

Two Liberators & a Lightning shot down over Holland and two Liberators over Bordeaux.

The improvements are still in place in Hamburg. I guess Lua will delete them next turn?

One thing that strikes me as a slight 'bug' is that Freight cannot move through destroyed terrain. This makes sense some of the time but it also means that certain cities become totally isolated and cannot rebuild improvements (unless they rush build them) to clear the path.

Attachments

• AxisTurn35.7z
    98.9 KB · Views: 42
Allies Turn 36
-Le Havre port destroyed through cloud cover – a pain in the butt!

-I've attached rules files that addresses your concern. Only "bombed RR" should be impassable now. It's a good thing you said something as it was broken on the night map (it was passable there).
-You *should* see that the city improvements have been deleted now. Let me know if you don't.

Attachments

• AlliesTurn36andRules.zip
    132.8 KB · Views: 27
In the Readme it states that the Axis automatically get 5 points per turn. This does not appear to have been happening in game. It's not a problem as I'm unlikely to ever reach the 500 threshold and I realise it's a mechanism to prevent the Allies from Turtling. Just thought I would mention it.

How positive are you of this? I've tested this and seen that it works in the past, but keep in mind that you lose a point for each one I earn.

I guess it depends on when the turn starts. I guess it must count from your turn, so if you press 1 I will have five points and by the time it comes to me you have destroyed enough to wipe out those points. That makes sense. I was thinking I should see five points when I began my turn.

I'm afraid it looks like I wont be able to complete my turn tonight as my laptop appears to have gone kaput. Like my last one it was a cheap old second hand affair that was just used for word processing, Civ2 & YouTube. Something about the drive bed being seated incorrectly and now it's just trying to run through startup repair (unsuccessfully!).

I've tried taking it apart, blowing on it, banging it and running all the repair utilities but nothing seems to work. The previous laptop just wouldn't power on, so in the morning I'm going to try swapping the hard drive from that one into the current one (which does power on) and see if that will work. Other than that I have lots of old laptop components so I'll try swapping them about to build a Frankenstein machine. I think that may work as long as the components fit into the case (I'm guessing they're usually fairly standard in side. Otherwise it will be a trip to E-Bay to buy the next reconditioned £80 old banger.

I was about 1/3 through my turn so I'll get that posted around lunchtime after my sleep. It's a shame as I hoped to get through perhaps a couple of rounds tonight. These things happen I suppose. #firstworldproblems

Hopefully you can fix that with parts on hand!

I don't know if I would have been able to play much yesterday anyway. I was chipping away at an icy driveway for hours so I wasn't upset to hear I should call it a night!

Axis Turn 36

Over Le Havre two Liberators and one B17 shot down with another B17 crippled. I don't think there was any other combat before the laptop meltdown last night.

I managed to get the broken PC working by putting an old SSD with Windows 8 in. I think I may be able to do the same with another old laptop to have a backup but I don't have a screwdriver tiny enough to work on the microscopic screws holding the spare SSD in its little metal sledge! It's crazy how these laptops seem to accumulate. I'm not even sure where they all came from. People tend to give me old electrical equipment thinking I can fix it. The problem is that laptop components are not always interchangeable, especially batteries. Still, I now hopefully have an heir & a spare to keep me going for another year or two.

I've just seen the news about the snowstorms in the States. We had a weather event last year around February/March which was dubbed 'Snowmageddon' or 'The Beast from the East'. I loved it. Going out to the local pub in full ski gear like an arctic explorer & taking the kids tobogganing. The UK is seriously not set up to deal with that kind of weather.

Attachments

• AxisTurn36.7z
    99.6 KB · Views: 40
Allies Turn 37
-No news (been awhile for one of those!)

Attachments

• AlliesTurn37.zip
    120.7 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom