Portugal - 20
Rome - 16
Shoshone - 19
Siam - 22
Songhai - 14
Spain - 4
Sweden - 18
Zulu - 22

England: I just love SOTL - turned my current game into a winner with 4 of them, and now they're horribly-powerful battleships.
Mongols: As others have said, two great units but awful UA.

Arabia - 24
Austria - 12
Aztec - 16
Babylon - 19
China - 26
England - 28
Ethiopia - 25
Germany - 22
Greece - 8
Inca - 17
Korea - 23
Maya - 29
Mongols - 13
Persia - 17
Poland - 20
Portugal - 20
Rome - 16
Shoshone - 19
Siam - 22
Songhai - 14
Spain - 4
Sweden - 18
Zulu - 22

Babylon: Boring civ, but science is just too overpowered to ignore.
England: What the hell is this civ doing in the leader spot? England is like a naval-based (in other words more situational) version of the mongols, they have their era of potential warmongering dominance and are very lackluster outside of it. Just meh.

England: What the hell is this civ doing in the leader spot? England is like a naval-based (in other words more situational) version of the mongols, they have their era of potential warmongering dominance and are very lackluster outside of it. Just meh.

Probably it's because of the
- plus one spy (you can defend your capital city from the very start of spying, and rob your enemies blind at the same time);
- the longbowman (it's like having medieval artillery dammit...);
- and the +2 movement on sea for basically everything (while mongols only get +1 and only for mounted units).

It's just simply OP as f***.

Not to mention the multiple purposes of spies, for example you may consider them as a little "diplomatic help" if you are planning to have a lot of CS allies. the more spies, the more elections are about to be rigged.

Plus for example on a Terra map, the faster movement and better LoS leads to easier colonization, if you're planning to set foot on one of the extra continents laying around.

And when it comes to waging war, the extra LoS and movement can also save your ships from certain death - you'll always be the first to hit, and the first to leave the battle.

Arabia - 24
Austria - 12
Aztec - 16
Babylon - 19
China - 26
England - 25
Ethiopia - 25
Germany - 22
Greece - 8
Inca - 17
Korea - 23
Maya - 29
Mongols - 13
Persia - 17
Poland - 21
Portugal - 20
Rome - 16
Shoshone - 19
Siam - 22
Songhai - 14
Spain - 4
Sweden - 18
Zulu - 22

Not a fan of the English at all, the longbowman is an overrated unit that is far too dependent on line of sight and open terrain. Naval advantages may be nice, but certainly not as powerful as people make it out to be. Maybe on archipelago type maps.

An explanation is not really needed for Poland. Free SP's help you in every situation. The Ducal stable is a very useful building because pastures are everywhere. It comes very early and really helps your economy, the +15% bonus to mounted units is just an extra.

Arabia - 24
Austria - 12
Aztec - 16 - 3 = 13
Babylon - 19
China - 26
England - 25
Ethiopia - 25
Germany - 22
Greece - 8
Inca - 17
Korea - 23
Maya - 29
Mongols - 13
Persia - 17
Poland - 21
Portugal - 20
Rome - 16
Shoshone - 19
Siam - 22 + 1 = 23
Songhai - 14
Spain - 4
Sweden - 18
Zulu - 22

Siam - Elephants of doom, extra culture from UB that you build every game in every city, bonus faith culture food from city states just all around good civ.

The Inca - Never had a need for their UU and its ability is a liability most of the time. UA movement bonus is alright but situational, the improvement cost reductions are nice but not enough to carry the civ as a whole, terrace farms are boring and dependant on locations/map.

I totally agree. Even if the map is against you, you are still able to maintain an early cultural advantage... And not even the almighty Poland can beat that. :D
So Yes, I was going to add a point for the Aztecs, but then I decided to keep Spain in for at least one more round. I never was a fan of them, but again, i only had one or two games as Spain, so my knowledge about it's strengths are minimal - but Greygamer's post was really interesting, i'm thinking about trying them out again. So +1 for Spain.

If you do try Spain again on a map other than Continents let me know how your wonder hunting goes? I expected Continents to be a fair test for Natural Wonders. Like a lot of people I had dismissed Spain, but now they are one of my favourites.

I've made my case for Spain. Greece is getting hit hard now. I already have an early win with this civ (when I barely knew what I was doing). So time to look at them again. I'm going to run some early war followed by Diplomacy games to see how they fare in BNW.

Arabia - 24
Austria - 12
Aztec - 13
Babylon - 19
China - 26
England - 25
Ethiopia - 25
Germany - 22
Greece - 8
Inca - 17
Korea - 23
Maya - 29
Mongols - 14 The best warmonger civ should be much higher up
Persia - 17
Poland - 21
Portugal - 20
Rome - 16
Shoshone - 16 They are not superior to the Civs on 16-19 votes
Siam - 23
Songhai - 14
Spain - 4
Sweden - 18
Zulu - 22

@Vikings Diehard
Don't you mean to downvote the Incas? The aztecs power is culture on kill and they don't have terrace farms.

Aztecs - Never had a need for their UU and its ability is a liability most of the time. UA movement bonus is alright but situational, the improvement cost reductions are nice but not enough to carry the civ as a whole, terrace farms are boring and dependant on locations/map.
I imagine you meant the Inca.

Arabia - 24
Austria - 12
Aztec - 13
Babylon - 19
China - 27 Again giving my vote to the best war civ of them all.
England - 22 Not my playing style.
Ethiopia - 25
Germany - 22
Greece - 8
Inca - 17
Korea - 23
Maya - 29
Mongols - 14
Persia - 17
Poland - 20
Portugal - 20
Rome - 16
Shoshone - 16
Siam - 23
Songhai - 14
Spain - 4
Sweden - 18
Zulu - 22

BS, England is absolutely nothing like the Mongols, nor is it era-dependent - have you actually played as England? Whilst you obviously have every right to express your preferences on such a thread, please don't dis a great-to-play civ for the wrong reasons...

If you do try Spain again on a map other than Continents let me know how your wonder hunting goes? I expected Continents to be a fair test for Natural Wonders.

Sure, I'll make a few test-runs on the maps we use to play, results will be ready in a few days. :)

And I took the liberty of re-calculating the scores, because it's clear that Vikings Diehard meant Incas and not Aztecs.

Arabia - 24
Austria - 12
Aztec - 16
Babylon - 19
China - 27
England - 22
Ethiopia - 25
Germany - 22
Greece - 8
Inca - 14
Korea - 23
Maya - 29
Mongols - 14
Persia - 17
Poland - 20
Portugal - 20
Rome - 16
Shoshone - 16
Siam - 23
Songhai - 14
Spain - 4
Sweden - 18
Zulu - 22

Arabia - 24
Austria - 12
Aztec - 16
Babylon - 19
China - 27
England - 25
Ethiopia - 22
Germany - 22
Greece - 8
Inca - 15
Korea - 23
Maya - 29
Mongols - 14
Persia - 17
Poland - 20
Portugal - 20
Rome - 16
Shoshone - 16
Siam - 23
Songhai - 14
Spain - 4
Sweden - 18
Zulu - 22

I fully believe the Inca are a top five civ, plus their lands always look so pretty. One up for them.

Downvoting Ethiopia. So they might get a faster pantheon - the Celts do that better and have more going for them. Defensive bonus is near pointless as you'll be spamming the Stele and Mehal Sefari are just pointless.

Downvoting Ethiopia. So they might get a faster pantheon - the Celts do that better and have more going for them.

Heh, heh, just misread this as: "Downvoting Ethiopia so they might get a faster pantheon" - thought you were being witty! :)

Arabia - 24
Austria - 12
Aztec - 16
Babylon - 19
China - 27
England - 25
Ethiopia - 22
Germany - 22
Greece - 8
Inca - 15
Korea - 23
Maya - 29
Mongols - 14
Persia - 17
Poland - 20
Portugal - 20
Rome - 16
Shoshone - 16
Siam - 23
Songhai - 14
Spain - 4
Sweden - 18
Zulu - 22

Sir, I belive on this list England gained back the 3 points on this list what Vraslosken forgot to take away previously.

Arabia - 24
Austria - 12
Aztec - 16
Babylon - 19
China - 27
England - 22
Ethiopia - 22
Germany - 22
Greece - 9UUs are both early game, which isn't great, but the UA is very strong - clear a few barbarians, and you've got free culture/faith/food/military units/happiness from your CS allies for ages. The UA isn't about winning the DV - it's about getting a massive leg up in the early game (the same with Siam's)
Inca - 15
Korea - 23
Maya - 29
Mongols - 14
Persia - 17
Poland - 20
Portugal - 20
Rome - 16
Shoshone - 16
Siam - 23
Songhai - 11Solid but not great Civ - few advantages that other's can't also get. And at this point we're about half-way through the list.
Spain - 4
Sweden - 18
Zulu - 22

Arabia - 24
Austria - 12
Aztec - 16
Babylon - 19
China - 27
England - 23 = 22 + 1
Ethiopia - 22
Germany - 19 = 22 - 3
Greece - 9
Inca - 15
Korea - 23
Maya - 29
Mongols - 14
Persia - 17
Poland - 20
Portugal - 20
Rome - 16
Shoshone - 16
Siam - 23
Songhai - 11
Spain - 4
Sweden - 18
Zulu - 22

If someone were holding a gun to my head and said the only way I could live would be to beat a game of civ 5 on deity continents with standard settings, I think I'd have to go with England. Maybe China or Poland.

Germany - ugh. Every time I've played them I end up finding 10 camps that give me brutes early on. Then what do you do? Either warmonger early and have everyone hate you, or delete all those crappy units. If those barbs were maintenance free I could get behind Bismark.

Top Bottom