Paradox Interactive games

actually the game isn't all too straining on you pc memory. It doesn't even need 1GB to run.

Good to know I wasn't the only one having no problems running it at all, but I'm not sure what that has to do with my post.

Sengoku feels like a race, just constant blobbing.

Unfortunately the game industry doesn't work that way. Excitement around theme X comes first, games come after that. The Great Northern War would make an excellent strategy game, but because it's not Napoleon or Hitler or Tokugawa or even Julius Caesar, people aren't interested.

You may always try the M&B With Fire and Sword. Granted, it is set a few decades earlier, but still pretty close.

Been a while since I posted here... having fun with EU3.

I was wondering, what are the differences between all these big Paradox Games.
Sengoku is obviously based in Japan.
Crusader Kings???

And whats the difference between Victoria and EU3?

Um... And the rules to each games are entirely different? They all have their emphasis.

EUIII has more rules pertaining to diplomacy, wars, and vast empire management, and is lighter on other subjects.

Victoria is more focused on products, economy, trade, society management and is lighter on other subjects.

Crusader Kings is more focused on rules about your lineage, lords, vassals, who is who's brother, etc. Skims a bit on other subjects.

So basically, they are all pausable real-time strategy on world maps during their specific periods, but they really detail rules and gameplay on different aspects of empire management.

Um... And the rules to each games are entirely different? They all have their emphasis.

EUIII has more rules pertaining to diplomacy, wars, and vast empire management, and is lighter on other subjects.

Victoria is more focused on products, economy, trade, society management and is lighter on other subjects.

Crusader Kings is more focused on rules about your lineage, lords, vassals, who is who's brother, etc. Skims a bit on other subjects.

So basically, they are all pausable real-time strategy on world maps during their specific periods, but they really detail rules and gameplay on different aspects of empire management.

I mostly agree, but I wouldn't shortchange Vicky's diplomacy system. The spheres of influence are far better implemented in Victoria II than in EUIII. Now if only they could fix the puppet state status, it would be golden. EUIII's diplomacy involves more options like royal marriages, personal unions, and inheritance of minor countries that would not be relevant for the Victorian time period.

Vicky 2 really needs to start in 1815.

And ridiculously boring by the time you got even half way through since you will probably have at least half of Europe under your control if not much, much more and would just steamroll everything for the rest of the game.

Vicky 2 really needs to start in 1815.

People often complain that such a game would delay the industrialization and economic aspects of the game, but I'm with you on this.

I would like to see an extension backwards to cover the great congresses and the 'Concert of Europe', which could be handled by series of events and initial static modifiers. There would be 10-year truces or maybe even permanent truces in Europe until certain events fired (or you decide to break with the international order via a decision, inflicting an infamy penalty on your nation for doing so in addition to whatever wargoals you add when you declare war).

That, and what I really want is some kind of OOB worked into the game. I don't need a HoI3-kind of system, just a two-level thing so I can make a few armies with a few subordinate corps for different fronts. Having to search through my list of 50-some detachments, figuring out who is where... it is just a mess at the end of the game.

I feel like I only come on here to ask questions, but I don't have anything to answer.

Anyway, I'll start the ball rolling with another question, one that I'm stuck on.
Which Hearts of Iron game is "best"? HoI, HoI2, HoI3, Darkest Hour, Arsenal of Democracy? Those are the ones I know, but there are probably more.

Having only played HoI3, I can't compare the other games. But if you decide on HoI3, definitely get both expansions (Semper Fi, For the Motherland)--I can't imagine going back to the base game.

Darkest Hour is the best, but Arsenal of Democracy is devilishly close. The thing that pushes DH ahead is the map, as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom