Paradox Interactive games

Thank you

Regarding Doomstacks in EU 3:

I was actually going to post this on another forum(guess which;)) but realized I was going a bit off-topic regarding the discussion, but it got me to think whether or not my way of waging wars is worthwhile.

It is true you can have some quite impressive armies in certain provinces, but in my Russia game I have never had armies of more than 12000 men. This means I dont get attrition in any of my own provinces and if I have to beat down on a 50000 man huge Polish/Austrian doomstack I hit it with 3 different armies at different time. Meaning I retreat with one army as soon it has taken damage, and then hit their stack with 12000 fresh men(two generals which teleport beteen those armies makes it much easier, one can also do this) when that army gets sufficient loses I retreat and hit the doomstack with a third army of fresh troops and cycle between those three, usually attacking from/retreating to different provinces.
This means I am pounding on this army constantly with a fresh army, it works well even though I havent westernize my millitary(need a competent ruler
:rolleyes:)

As you can see my argument is based on the fact that morale is much more important than anything else, and being Russia manpower is not really a problem. This means my three stacks get replenished with no problem although they might take some huge losses.

My counterargument is that I get WE everytime I retreat. and by massing my three armies into a huge 60000 man doomstack might be more beneficial since I would be able to inflict serious losses in one go.

The problem I see with having such huge armies is that loosing that entire army could happen and replacing that would take a lot of time and money where it is much faster and inexpensive to replace 12000 men. and lossing one of these armies doesnt have such a huge impact on beating down on that stack.

So how do you view this tactic? is it viable or am I making it harder for myself?

The crux of the matter might be that I am not westernized yet, which means I have to slug it out on manpower and superior numbers instead of matching their armies with my own.

If I have to pow-wow with a giant stack, I'll just coordinate my armies to arrive on the same day or within days of each other, usually works for me :goodjob:

Yeah, what cardgame says. I standardize army size at 10-12K (depending on the era) and concentrate on the battlefield as necessary.

I prefer to get stacks of about 20k if I take over a large amount of territory in a short period of time, especially if that territory is prone to have a lot of nationalist/patriot rebellions.

It does look pretty sweet, and just under a week to go until release. Wish I had a capable comp... :(

I just noticed if you preorder it on GG, you get a copy of HOI3 free.

Ughhhh, I tried a demo of Crusader Kings. Couldn't do anything. This one's interface looks nicer at least.

The old Crusader Kings is difficult to play. The new one should be awesome. :)

The old Crusader Kings is difficult to play. The new one should be awesome. :)

I know it's not the same gaming format but the Japan Shogunate band wagon is starting to topple for me...

What do you mean by that, Arronax?

WW2 has actually slowed down considerably. Hell the only WW2 games I can even remember recently are the Men of War series (which is branching out to Vietnam or Korea or something) and Red Orchestra. Both of which are excellent series.

As for Japan, Divine Wind didn't really go into it much and it was desperately needed, and other than that I can only think of Shogun 2.

What do you mean by that, Arronax?

the bandwagon of a grand total of 3 games shogun total war, divine wind, and now THIS?!?! i'm sick and tired of it! going back to my ww2 fpses, cover-based shooters, and quick-time event hack and slashers, thank you!

well i guess you can add the... more than 10? japan-only nobunaga's ambition games over the past more than a decade

I know it's not much, but given that twp of the last three games I brought were Divine Wind and Shogun 2, the hours I spent playing such games and the amount of cultural expose I get from Feudal Japan through other sources and,I feel very tired of Feudal Japan as a whole. I'm tired of samurais, daimyos, and shoguns.

After all, games are a very good way for someone to involve themselves and learn/appreciate a brand new time period/culture. But given the amount of Japan that has been thrown at me, I'll like to see developers give some other region a kick.

I would really love to play some other area and time period. a Non-Three Kingdoms China, India, South East Asia, Early Middle Ages, a game where Persia/Iran is the focus and not just an add-on. Victoria 2 was a very fresh time period for me to play.

Is that partly because living in Singapore you get bombarded with Japanese culture? Given that I own very few strategy games not by Paradox, Sengoku will be my first purely Japanese game.

Top Bottom