1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Patch News!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Stuie, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Chieftain

true to some point but a game always need to iterate "even in pause" so windows dont blacklist the game as a crash, hopefuly the memory leak in this case is not part of the game "loop" that directly...

cheers!

2. LeSphinx

LeSphinx Bachogwa

The patch will be coming soon...
    Let's started CIV4 GOTM!!!!!
    LeSphinx

3. Zertez

Zertez Chieftain

Curious why they decided to change horses, even the manual says they are always visible. I dont see how having them visible can be overpowering, unless they plan to make them more commonplace upon researching them. I dont have to many problems finding horses, but Ivory tiles seem very scarce and out of 15 games or so Ive had Ivory maybe 2 times. I got it much latter wiping other civilizations out, but by then they were obsolete for military units.

4. kroym

kroym Chieftain

Good one Mythrl! :lol: :rotfl: :clap:

5. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Why? Because they are overpowering in MP. If you see that your city has horses from the first turn you can steer your research to exploit this and get chariots on your neighbor right away. You can't do this with the metal line. In that path you may research bronze only to find that you have none. in a tiny two player duel the player withthe horses will almost always win because they will choose the correct tech path.

6. jened

jened Warlord

SERIOUSLY! we just knew the other crap would get patched once people got past the video card & memory stuff.

7. Colonel Kraken

Colonel Kraken Deity

Thank you, Firaxis, for being so diligent about hearing and responding to user game concerns and problems. This is excellent news.

8. MarcAntiny

MarcAntiny Arrghh!

As far as our ancestors hunting horses??? How the F$#% would they do that if that didn't have their own horses to ride? In case you didn't know, horses are frigin' fast!!! No way they were like, hey why not eat those big horses, when they had lot's of other animals they could hunt that weren't so hard to catch... hunt smart, not hard!

9. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

10. Dida

Dida YHWH

This is thursday, i expect the patch tomorrow.

11. NKVD

NKVD Cossack

exactly! lol

12. Draax

Draax Chieftain

A human being (that's in good shape) can outrun horses and darn near every other four legged animal given enough distance. Two legs are slower than four, but they use much less energy per meter traveled. Ancient hunters would track while running at a slow jog. Eventually the horse herd would be too tired to sprint away. It got interesting then. Also, partnerships with whatever canines existed back then came about veeeery early in the evolution of man. Similar hunting styles and really cute puppies/babies and all that.

Horses were great hunting before they were domesticated. They traveled in herds, spooked easily, and had lots of meat. They were a hard target, but a good reward. Kinda like mammoths but that's another story for the next time I feel like rambling about the good old days. ;)

13. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

I think the argument for it would be that even though man has ridden horses for a long long time, at the very beginning neanderthal man would have simply seen them as any other animal.

Learning Animal Husbandry to reveal horses as a valuable resource therefore makes sense as this is simulating the point man appreciates the value of horses in other ways.

Plus, from a gameplay sense it gives more worth to that particular line compared to the obvious religious and bronze working paths.

14. Prince David

Prince David David di Xeno

Plus, the really smart hunters had things like bows and arrows, or throwing spears, or friends to hunt with and tactics.

Horses arrived in the new world with the Spanish in the 15th and 16th centuries. Prior to that Native Americans were hunting big, fast, tough bison for millenea with just their own feet and their brains*.

* Which tended to go "squish" when they threw them at the bison, but it so grossed them out that they didn't notice the friends sneaking up with throwing spears . . .

15. Picky1999

Picky1999 Chieftain

I hope they don't "soften" the pillage sounds too much...that was one of the fun parts of new game so far...the screams & lamentations when you pillage.

Otherwise, good news.

16. Gulio

Gulio Chieftain

Draax, I pray you are joking with that thread, if not you need to spend some time outside and with real people in a real world.

A human can NOT out run a horse. A horse runs around 40-70 KM/H. Horses have way higher endurance, and stamina than Humans. They also have 4 legs which lets them run faster.

Man would approach horses and the horses wouldn't run away. Or they used a horse and they hearded them into coralls.

Cheetas and other feline animals can run up to 80 km/h. Bears run around 50km/h (grizzley).

Humans are weak and fail compared to these animals. Heck a 2 year old Cat can outrun most humans because we're so fricken lazy and fat now.

Personally, they need to make horses like the roaming wild life (bears, cougars etc.) and have them move around the map, non-aggresive.

When you research horses, you'd be able to then corall them in your city limits.

17. qaturn

qaturn Chieftain

You can upgrade all units at once, hit alt when selecting a unit and then upgrade-cant remember if you have to select all cities first.

18. gippy

gippy Chieftain

I've heard the theory before, but I don't know how well it's attested. There was an amusing piece on public radio (probably This American Life) a few months ago about a guy and his brother who decided to test the theory. I guess it had been floating around for a while as a theory about how humans could manage to hunt what seemed to be much faster 4-legged animals. The idea, as Draax says, is that in a sprint the 4-legged animal wins, but a human can win the endurance race. Partly because of humans' superior cooling systems (most 4-legged animals have very limited ability to sweat) and partly because of superior intelligence (taking straight-line paths instead of running in circles, etc.). I'm not sure about the energy efficiency itself of 2-legged vs. 4-legged running.

So, this guy and his brother, both fairly serious amateur runners, decided to try to catch an antelope this way. They gave it a good shot, and thought they saw some signs of success, but never managed to actually catch one.

I'm not sure what anthropologists think of the idea - whether it's seen as plausible or nuts.

Seems to me that humans could alternately get by like wolves, and rely on camouflage, stalking, etc. and prey on the young, sick, or old animals.

On the issue of when to reveal horses - I like it fine to have them revealed by a tech. But, why animal husbandry? Is the idea that horses were draft animals before they were ridden? Is that true? Otherwise, it would make sense to reveal them either at the chariot stage (as in Civ 3) or at the horseback riding stage (do we have a horseback riding tech again? I don't have my manual handy).

19. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

There's this docu in which a bunch of Bushmen run down and kill a giraffe. I don't suppose horses are significantly faster or have much more endurance than giraffes.

A well-trained human can keep running for longer than most terrestrial animals (the best-known exception being the wolf, I suppose).

But if we look at hunters from ~4000 BC, they had much better options available than spending hours running them dry, the most obvious being shooting them.

20. gippy

gippy Chieftain

Perhaps. How universal was the bow and arrow? I imagine thrown spears were probably very wide spread, and spearthrowsers seem to have been also.

But, it wouldn't surprise me if humans consumed tasty, but speedy, prey before any of this technology was available.