Patch v1.17f README is here!

Stack Movement is broken!

I have about 3 panzers and an army of panzers on a stack. I hit 'j' and chose a location. All the tanks move to the location but the leader with the flag is still
at the starting point. The last panzer stays active and ALL INPUTS ARE IGNORED. I can't even quit the game (without the taskbar).

Attachments

• stack-broke.jpg
    stack-broke.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 957
ummm, the patch is broken :mad:
i made 2 minor changes to the rules and now i can't start a new game!
I changed:
culture>in awe of>propaganda % to 45%
and
added "reduce corruption" to the Temple
that's it! now i can't start a new game! uggg.
anyone else having issues with this patch?

Originally posted by tatterdemalion
Thank God that they fixed all those problems with EVOLUTION. Now maybe we can go look up all the information on EVOLUTION properly now. Wouldn't want to miss the exact title for the 150 year old theory of NATURAL SELECTION. In case you weren't aware, it is important EVOLUTION is given its proper prominence in history.

Yessirree, Sid's handywork.

The funniest part about this is that it's really called "The Preservation of Favored Races in the Struggle For Life". The term "natural selection" is Darwin's name for the mechanic of selection by capability exclusion and situational tendency.

Most people think it's really called "The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Evolution"; that's really just the title of the book.

Thanks, though.

(Also, the theory is a hell of a lot older than 150 years. For instance, Aristotle believed in special differentiation and capability-oriented selection; he just didn't have the mutation thing down, rather believing that it was an act of greater power which caused the segregation. And, to some degree, the common sources of mutation do fit the bill... It's argued among academics who really came up with the idea first, as different people believe that different levels of missing parts of the theory count; still, it's widely regarded that the Greeks had the basics, and that the Persians were the ones which gave said to them.)

If you want data, search for those names. For instance, a Google search of that long title above gives 1,730 results as of 4:30 this morning, EST. A goodly number of them are actually pretty informative.

- StoneCypher - Ninja Lurker

Originally posted by Ed Cogburn

Does this also mean the limit of 2 workers per square during automatic pollution clean up has also been lifted?

If REALLY HOPE so..if not -> deinstall

Originally posted by Arokh
looks like a good job, but they still haven't fixed the problem of ancient units being able to destroy modern units. Come on guys, if a tank enters a city defended by swordsmen the tank would win hands down.

Usually, yes, but suppose the silly buggers grow so overconfident they go driving their tank around with the top hatch open, and then as they punch through the city walls or pass in front of a building, somebody pours a big pot of boiling oil down at them or something...

Unlikely, yes, but not unthinkable.

Originally posted by Supercilious

Very well said! Naval warfare is mindless and ultra-simplictic in Civ 3. I suppose even with the patch we'll have galleys sailing around in the deep ocean? :crazyeyes

BTW, Germany almost won two world wars by using submarines in a manner impossible in Civ III.

I am not an expert about warfare, but I think submarines just gave us the chance to stop the USA for some time. I think the German success in the first years was based on total air superiority and massive ground mechanized units (tanks!).

One of the keys for success did find its end when the British Airforce was more than a match. Also when you see production numbers of planes, tanks in the year 41-45 you can clearly see what did happen once US economy was converted to produce military units...impressive output.

Talking about Civ3 I agree to your points that naval warefare is not the most important thing in this game. The only reason for me to have a big fleet is the fact that my bombers are doing a even worse job to destroy (or better damage) enemy naval units. So somehow it is working in the end.

Originally posted by mikellos
Is the new patch appliable on win2000 or on winxp?

I'm running it in Windows 2000 fine. Whether it's officially supported is another question, but I'd be happy to assume that it is.

By Jack Morris: Based on feedback from the mod and scenario community we will make additional improvements and incorporate new features.

Yes, look at the scenario community, see how many nice scenarios you can do with this editor! See how many historycal and fantastic scenarios......nothing!

What about this animation? Will it be faster some day? For example, if I set a goal far away for a naval unit, why should I look at each movement of it? Disabling the 'Animated Units Movements' in Preferences helps a bit, but this animation should be removed completely to make each turn 2-3 times faster...

A.

Thye still haven't corrected the hopeless blunder of having a male leader Shenandoah (= daughter of the moon, there is a famous singer with that name) running around for the Iroquois instead of the probably intended war chief Skenandoah (= White man's friend)!:cry:

Originally posted by Rhye
By Jack Morris: Based on feedback from the mod and scenario community we will make additional improvements and incorporate new features.

Yes, look at the scenario community, see how many nice scenarios you can do with this editor! See how many historycal and fantastic scenarios......nothing!

Scenario community? Oh, you're talking about that trailer park on the edge of town, right? Yes, they do have a different lifestyle than the rest of us, don't they? I don't have a problem with that except when they come into town and try to brainwash the young people into joining them. No, I try not to look at the scenario community when I drive past.

I wonder if they have corrected the spelling of Marshal Zhukov AND of Durham (they spell it Dureham)...

Why the glut of Apolytoners posting at civfanatics today???

Time for me to download this new patch.

What I'm hearing regaring how pop rush used to work doesn't fit my understanding of it.

It's not that the unhappy workers were being killed, but rather that the unhappiness generated from rushing was applied before your # of unhappy->content modifiers. If you looked in your main info screen, you'd see the number under the happy face of the happy/content face start to rise (imagine it as a negative number that wasn't displaying properly.

If you were playing the game with a difficulty such that you started with 3 content people before they all were unhappy, then pop rushing would start to lower the count of 3 until you had all unhappy people. THEN police units, temples, and other factors that made unhappy people content were applied. There was no difference between starting with 0 content people and -5 content people - they'll still all start unhappy. ;)

That's my understanding of how it used to work, so the explination that now you're killing the happy people instead of the unhappy people makes no sense to me.

Could someone verify if it's been changed so that temples and police units don't automatically make unhappy units content now? If that's the change, it'll affect more than just pop rushing, as other factors can cause unhappiness...

I applied the 1.17F patch and restarted an old game at 4000BC and for the first time got Skilled SETTLER as a goody. Twice in a ROW!!! Other goody huts yielded Technologys at a Much Higher Percentage than before. I used to just get gold and disturbed angry barbarians without fail....

As for the Stack Movement....IT ONLY WORKS ON UNITS OF THE SAME EXACT TYPE which has been stated before. I dont know what happens if you try to stack move dissimilar units?

Originally posted by Nemo
ummm, the patch is broken :mad:
i made 2 minor changes to the rules and now i can't start a new game!

The editor included in the v1.17f patch is broken. You can download the fixed editor from the CFC mainpage.
I had the same problem, but after exchanging the editor, it worked ! :)

Originally posted by pvondrak
What I'm hearing regaring how pop rush used to work doesn't fit my understanding of it...

If you were playing the game with a difficulty such that you started with 3 content people before they all were unhappy, then pop rushing would start to lower the count of 3 until you had all unhappy people. THEN police units, temples, and other factors that made unhappy people content were applied. There was no difference between starting with 0 content people and -5 content people - they'll still all start unhappy. ;)

the way its been changed now according to Soren Johnson from Firaxis is that the happiness values effectivly go negative. so say you had the equivilent unhappiness to make 8 people unhappy in a size 3 city. under the old rules you would only need to make 3 people content. now you need to make 8 people content, making only 7 would still leave you with 1 unhappy person.

so the military police, temples etc... still kick in after the unhappyness factor but you need a lot more of them to stop the 'cruel oppression'

check out http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=42288 from the horses mouth

later,
-ChumChum
:cool:

Cant you pay for production with your worker's lives also under communism?

-askROM

Top Bottom