1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PH14: The Return of the King

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

I can't get to it, sorry, feel free to play on GreyFox.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Okay so I played ... probably my last turnset for this game.

Made some production changes ... mostly switching non-essential builds to wealth, as I want money to upgrade some juicy maces to rifles. Equiping these medieval units with rifles does not come cheap, each rifle cost 200g.

I also initiated some trades to ensure KK and Hammy does not interfere when we DoW on their close neighbors:

Out of habit, I gifted resources to our lapdog.

We don't want our lapdogs to be too weak fighting its own happiness/health issues, right?

3 turns later, we moved our troops out, and a golden age was triggered. No, I did not burn our 3 GPs away (what are we going to do with them anyway?). Instead, rolo's pet project has been completed:

The same turn, we reached the border of Vikings and Greeks, and knocked on their respective doors:

Pericles was gracious enough to bring his own pole :lol:

And, if I had known they are sporting such pathetic defenses, I would have moved out a turn earlier or two:

:hammer: :hammer:

Nidaros fell, followed by Athens the next turn.

Both immediately are willing capitulate after losing their capitals

Since Viking's capital was captured one turn earlier, he was willing to part Military Tradition. But I did not agree, pending team decision, and we got Mil Trad on our own.

I suggest we agree to both. They are both tiny enough such that vassalizing them shouldn't trigger domination. We need to conquer all their cities to hit domination.

But who wants domination? I think we can go for conquest. Here's the plan:

We first vassalize both Ragnar and Pericles. 50% of their land should add only 10% to our total land tiles, so we should still be a few percentages away from domination.

We then start moving forces from Nidaros towards Hammy's capitol.

Those troops in Athens can move into Mongolia (while we still have open borders with KK), and rendezvous with ships from our chinese land on the west coast of Mongolia.

We then move the ships out of mongolia border, and DoW on KK and Hammy, and try to capitulate both Babylon and Mongolia on the same turn, thereby triggering a conquest victory.

Before, we should think of what to do with our 3 GPs: GE, GM, GS.

Attached Files:

3. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

4. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I like that plan ( it certainly seems a lot like mine :p ) and I'm pretty sure that the army of our vassal will be more than enough to deal with Hammurabi ( OTOH it might suffer if KK focus on him instead of us... same for the other vassals )

I really don't see a better use of the GP than a GA.

Let's finish this then. Some scouting to babylon would be advisable to make the cleanest cut possible ( we still have a war to make with KK and, in spite of our superiority, our vassals are not a match to him if he focus in attacking one. And recapitulate a AI is not on my plans :p ): I think that capturing his cap will do the trick, but a look to the garrison would be helpful

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

@Thy_Spellcraft: What abt Sal? He is already our vassal. By the way, you are UP.

We can either Dow on Hammy and KK on the same turn, or go for Hammy first, then a big showdown with Mongolia.

DoW'ing on the same turn is good, since then we don't have to worry abt defending for Hammy.

If we capitulate Hammy first, we will definitely need to help him a bit with defense, in addition to Vikings and Greeks. Sally can take care of himself.

How many GP-triggered GAage do we have? Do we need all GPs, if not, it might be good to settle the GM or rush something with the GE first, before triggering GAge.

--

6. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

OK, I got it, and hopefully I'll play my set within a few hours..

I favour the plan of DoWing both at the same turn and head straigt towards their capitols. Will we keep them? I'd rather destroy them..

7. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

so.....

I almost feel too ashamed to post at all anymore ~ :blush:

first, i must apologize for going AWOL all over again ~ sorry I let ya'll down, especially with my first game back ~ I guess I just didn't appreciate how much work I would have to contend with, and just how UNmotivated i would be after leaving at 6 am for my 1.5 hour commute, and getting in around 11 hours later.

so much has changed for me over these past months, even starting back in august of last year, that I almost feel like a different person . . .

anyway, enough self-pity from the silly, lazy american. i HOPE that i can finally CHANGE enough to be BARACK in the game much more than i was ~ not too mention all the ideas that have left to be played . . .

ahh well, i'd like to jump back in and as we're close to winning, see if i can screw it up for you'se and live up to my signature ~

yours sincerely,
    AragRON ~

p.s. ~ we cud also just pretend i was on the Path of the Dead all this time, right??

p.p.s. ~ finally, if you don't want me to jump back in, that's fine too ~ i won't hold it against you

8. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

He's alive :run: !

Good to see you back :cheers:

I don't think anyone would say anything against you coming back, especially with most of the team out ( and it would be a good excuse to kick greyfox out, but don't tell him ;) )

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Welcome back, good to see you're still breathing.

Thy has taken the game, so perhaps if it wasn't finished, you could take it after him to the end (kind of fitting, you ending the game you started). We can't be any further from victory.

SO rolo wants to kick me out? :trouble:

Fine! I am OUT! I am not playing this game anymore!

:lol:

10. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

11. Diamondeye

Woo! The Pholkhero has returned! Welcome back!
    I am already hoping for an interesting variant for the next game :p

12. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Actually, upon seeing Pholk's post, I was tempted to say: Looked what the cat dragged in .... ;)

Noticed I have not answered Thy's question: actually, there is no harm in keeping the capitols, we are going to win in a short while anyway.

By the way, there is yet another alternative to the simultaneous DoW plan: we DoW on Mongolia first, this can be done quite swiftly, since we already have troops in Vikings and Greece. This allows Sally to be buffered off by Babylon, keeping him safe. Meanwhile, we amass some troops in Viking's eastmost city. Once it looks like Mongolia is willing to capitulate (capturing his capitol and one or two more cities should do the trick), then we march for Babylon, capitulating both KK and Hammy on the same turn for the conquest win.

-

13. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

Ok.. I didn't start yet.. But taking a bit more detailed view onto the game I thing DoWing and bringing down Mongolia before Babylon is a bit more save..
    So I'd split the army in Nirados into two stacks. The first one will march to Nippur for taking down Babylon. The second on goes to Bjorgwin. The greek army will get divided as well. The first part will ship in next to Karakorum and the second will guard the southern border. So we'll hit Mongolia at Old Sarai and Karakorum on the second turn of the war. Both armie will then head towards Turfan and New Sarai. So This should be enough to get Khan kapitulating.. and we have nearly our whole forces at the babylonian border..

So my turnset would prepare the war, and I'd leave it up to pholk to finish his own royal return!! :lol:

Agreed?

14. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

OK.. Not a lot to tell you.. I prepared the war, so we can strike the very next turn..

The only events to mention:
    I vassalized Ragnar and Perikles got some money out of them as well and spend it for uprading our troops:
    Spoiler :

Spoiler :

As we only need two GPs for our next GA I bulbed most of Corporation with the GM. After we got Corporations I decided to go for Stream Power.
    Also we got another GG and I created a Medic with him and send him to Xian to get shiped in soon..
    And Hammi came to ask for this deal:
    Spoiler :

I declined..

On my last turn (hopefully for the entire game) our GA ended. I didn't start a new one, so this should be up to the next player. And keep in mind there is another army in NY ready to head towards Hammi within the next turnset as well.

So who ever will play next: Have fun killing of the rest!!!

Attached Files:

15. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

16. Diamondeye

I am sorry, I am completely buried in homework and a couple of SGs aswell as my emp game... I really gotta update it soon... Has to be tomorrow though... arh! :run:

17. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Isn't Pholkhero (The King returns, disappears, reappears briefly then vanishes again) going to finish this off?

18. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

thanks all ~ it looked, too, like I crashed the CFC as the next day from my re-return, i couldn't get on at all ~

Rex??

I've got it and will finish it off i guess. from what i can see, since it's all mopping up, i might as well just end the AI misery.

19. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

20. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't let pholk play................. we'll end as vassals of Ragnar ! :lol:

Have fun then ,pholk.BTW, to when a decent new Ph game, wiht pholk in it ? :p