1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PH14: The Return of the King

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, Oct 4, 2008.

1. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

@Dresden: Unfortunately, the autosave for the Hammy's silent diplo is gone (and yes, ESC closes the screen) which was in 1325AD. The autosave (1345AD) for the Ragnar one I just posted in BUG Reporting forum. That one cannot be closed, and the Ctrl-Alt-Del salute has to be given.

2. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

3. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Kill! Kill!! Kill!!! (micro-management intensive but earlier finish date) domination!

4. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

Ok, played my turnset so far..

IT:
    Stopped lib and changed to Astro; bulbed GM, changed science-rate to 100% and settled the GS in Washington

1385:
    Hatty tried just another time so safe herself:
    Spoiler :

I voted no butnonetheless, it didn't mattered so far, cause Hatty had to die only minutes later. Our mighty troop stromed Alexandria without any losses. I decided to keep the city to prevent Qin to expand furthermore.

And this struggeling brought us another GG whom I settled in NY.

1390:
    War times on the other continent seem to be over for quite a long time:
    Spoiler :

1400:
    We build Ankor Wat:
    Spoiler :

1405:
    Another great work released:
    Spoiler :

Seems as we have to but some more breakers into science..

1430:
    On the final turn Qin asks for philo but as we don't want to boost relations with him I decided to decline..
    And we were pretty lucky:
    Spoiler :

This means +2G on this mine!
    Finally Astro came in and I changed to Printing press.

All over the turnset I spread Chistianity (there's another missionary on the way to the island) and started to build universities wherever it was possible.. I whiped some infa in former egypian cities but I'm not sure how long we should stay in slavery..
    And for the next player: There's only one turn left on Lib!!!!! So keep an eye on the AIs!!!

Attached Files:

5. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

So, got it.....

What to get from lib?

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Looked at the save, let me say we are overly obsessed with universities ;)

Specialization is the key. Not every city need a university. Certain cities, such as New York or the Maoi Statute city, clearly should continue pumping units out (esp pikes) if we hope to kill QSH soon.

I am also not sure abt Astro before Printing Press. I would think Printing Press would help our economy better than the foreign trade routes from Astro (plus we are still busy building University, so no time to build Observatories). Not sure too, doesn't really matter anyway, just bringing this out for academic considerations ;)

I would suggest getting physics from lib, but that depends on whether we want to go war route or space route. Personally, I prefer space (faster), so I think Lib'ing Physics is the best bet. But for war route, we may want to Lib Steel instead.

-

7. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

This is a good breaking point for the game: war or peace?

I think we can finish the puny chinese with a hand behind the backs ( especially if we have cannons :p ), but after that? Do we duck in our continent and let the other dudes to rot ( well, they don't love us a lot, given that we refused to take sides in a war we simply couldn't fight except with caravels and spies ( BLAKE, WHY ? :p ) ) or are we going to liberate their people of their unwise leaders :trouble: ?

As the Lib objective will depend a lot of what we want to do in the future and we are in " milk lib the best you can", I would like to have that settled before I play.

I vote for war :p

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

I don't really mind either way, just prefer space since it is faster. If both you and pigswill prefer war, then war it is.

Either way, we do not need steel to get rid of QSH (is like killing ants with a sword). Just pump out a few more units and start killing him already. We need the money to substain 100% science anyway.

9. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

Going the war route is not my favorite way but would be ok... But if we decide to invade the other continent we should do this as early as possible 'cause right now noone else has astro...

And building all those universities even within those prod cities had been done due to get oxford enabled as fast as possible...

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Mr King of Thineself, even the dead Pholkhero would balk at a 8-days delay ...

11. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

If he was here :p Xmas got in the way

Anyway I already played...... researched Gunpowder and Chemistry and have lib on queue. DOWed QSH and captured 2 cities ( the southern ones, to remove metals and the SoZ ) with minimal losses ( 3 cats IIRC ). We started Oxford in this turn ( 9 turns ) and got a GA ( :cry: ). 2 spies are in the way to chinese cities ( we have enough EP to revolt 2 cities if we wait for the 50% stationary bonus, a thing that will not be hard with the castles that QSH has been busy doing :( ).

I stopped here because it is a good time to backfill the guilds branch and make some € ( $ and £ are worthless this days :p ) buildings in our shrine city and to discuss civics changes ( not now, because we need to finish oxford but in 2/3 turns )

I forgot the pics in home..... will put them later

Attached Files:

12. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Now with pictures.... :p

Well, not much of it :p The wars in Civ IV are all equal.... pictures of war spoils......
    Spoiler :

And we all seen tech screens....
    Spoiler :

Deals with foreign civs....
    Spoiler :

:gripe: about bad GPP luck .....
    Spoiler :

Show a map of the conquered land..... ( notice the tech bar )
    Spoiler :

Well, I would take this turn to spread some Education to the AI ( none has it IIRC ) and backfill with Natio, guilds and banking. Ragnar painted a big target in his head by making taj ( what demon possesed him? his cap is the budha holy city and he's been wonderspamming like a madman ( see his cap in top 5 ) ). The war with China is progressing as fast as the pre-gunpowder siege allows ( that is why our espionage is focused in QSH... change it soon: it was just to give us enough EP to revolt 2 cities ( I suggest Shangai and the cap ) ) and probably we'll not have time to test our new cannons in him. Now we need to discuss the place for IW :p

There is some transient MM in some cities that needs to be revised during the next turnset ( like washington that is working 2 forests to speed oxford... there are other examples ). we got a big infusion of :) resources last turn, so it is possible that some of the MM was planned for a lower hap cap. Please review the MM ;)

To end, what to do with that ($(#(/$#%$#$#&%/&$& GA ? IMHO, clearly a Golden age, but when? I think we need to get out of Beauro and that Org Rel is dated too, but now is not the best moment, with Oxford being done using both the civics bonuses. So , my suggestion is to start the GA in 4 turns and change civics in the end of GA with Oxford done.....

The save is in the previous post. Who's next ? :p

13. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Nice turns.

Do we trade techs this turn or next turn? Does AI value Education more when First-to-Liberalism is still possible (however minute the chances are)? I doubt so, thus might be better to trade techs next turn after getting Liberalism (one more tech to trade). We are obviously aiming for Rifling next, so let's trade that way.

Chinese war is a done deal (we do need to send more units there -- as it is now, our holy shrine city has a real possibility of being sneaked attacked by the chinese), hence I would start pumping out vessels (galleons, frigates) in coastal cities in preparation for an oversea expedition.

What civics do you suggest? Vassalage or Free Speech? Do we have enough towns to make FS more attractive? Same question for religious civics: theocracy or free religion? Despite whatever the "X-who-completes-his-great-work" thinks, we are much more advance than any AI (as evident by our leisurely pace of choosing the tech for Liberalism), and it is only going to get better with Oxford coming on-line and assimilation of Chinese cities. So free religion might not be needed -- I would propose going theocracy. Not too sure abt the Vassalage vs. Free Speech though.

There is also a question of Economy Civics once we trade for techs ... do we go mercantilism? (state property would be out of reach for quite some time, so we can forget abt it for this Golden Age).

My recommendations would be: Vassalage, Mercantilism, Theocracy -- in line with our war-loving nature :evil:.

As to roster, let's rebuild it from my debutt in this SG ;)

Played
    -- GreyFox
    -- Thy_SpellCraft
    -- r_rolo1

Who else is in
    -- diamondeye == ready to play?
    -- pigswill == are you still in?

-

14. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Well, we definitely don't gain much with FR: we are not planning to make friends out there and we don't need more :) for now , so theo it is.

About getting out of beauro..... we have vassalage and FS now and possibly natio. I don't think that we have enough towns to make FS worth it for now. Theo plays badly with drafting, so probably Vassalage it is for now

P.S I made a error in my report. Oxford will be done in 9 turns, not 11 ( 11 was what it was before changing the merchants to the woods ), probably less 1 or 2 turns in GA

15. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

I'll probably play another set (if the game's not won first) the next time round but I'm still focussing on my noble walkthrough at the moment. I'll post when I'm available to play.

16. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

I probably cant get to it the next couple of days, feel free to play some more, GreyFox

17. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

About civic changes: Go the way you suggested grey! But I'm not sure whether to change right after Oxford or wait until steel and rifling to make the oversee-landing..

Techwise I agree going towards rifling..

18. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

We would want to be Theo+Vassalage when we start producing units, so switching right after Oxford is probably best. The Cannons and Ships would benefit from the +4exp. With cannons CRs, we don't need rifles when we first hit the first oversea target (who?), so we can probably start invasion once Chinese is history if coastal cities start producing ships and the HE city produces nothing but cannons from now on.

Okay, so I got it for the new year.

19. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

I obviously did not find time to play on New Year's Day, so it probably won't get played tonight but tomorrow. However if diamond is ready, go ahead and grab it.

-

20. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

Ugh... After a tough New Years Eve and then an all-night LAN with some friends, Diamondeye is not quite ready. Someone else can play :p